Home
Posted By: ingwe Another day on the stream... - 07/16/15
Caught a few brookies, a couple monster whitefish, some little rainbows and a couple nice browns...

My pard unhooking one...

[Linked Image]
Good looking fish.. Spinners??
All I'm getting done is working my azz off and driving an hour and a half to and fro. It has rained arms and legs every weekend for a month.
As you have said before, your starting to piss me off.
Suuuwheat...

Nothing like getting the hook out of a foul hooked fish...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another day on the stream... - 07/16/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Good looking fish.. Spinners??

Yep, it was hardware today. There is a huge crop of grasshoppers already, but 20 mph winds today kinda negated the fly rod.
I must give spin fishing a serious try soon.. Have some reels and rods, but never gave it a serious try..
Ingwe, I have never used the panther martins. I always heard they fish deeper than other blade types. The water in your pics look pretty skinny what weight spinner do you use? 1/16th oz?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another day on the stream... - 07/17/15
We use #2 Panthers and you can get them with either a lead body, or a brass body, which doesn't run as deep for the really skinny water.

The #2 is 1/16th oz.

Bigger, deeper creeks we go with #4, and for Rivers we use #6

extra, gratuitous photo...

[Linked Image]
Love the pics. I got out this week as well and had similar luck. Life is good...especially when the fish are biting.
Thanks, I'm gonna try a few of those. Seems all you trout gurus prefer them over other spinners. Inline spinners in moving water are hard to beat with other types of hardware.

I have a black martin with yellow dots and gold blade and a single hook but I can't remember what size it is. I don't know if it brass or lead. Are the brass ones painted too?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another day on the stream... - 07/18/15
Some are....The black/yellow spots with a brass blade is the perennial favorite by far.
I wonder if it is merely an accident that ingwe always takes a picture where there is nothing in the background to give a hint where his hidden "honey holes" are located.
Hell no, it deliberate as eating a taco... laugh. I do the same thing, I just don't have enuff sense to post pics from my phone.

edited to add I just back from bass pro a few hours ago and I got a couple of #2 panthers like you suggested poob. I'm gonna try and go to Watauga in a few weeks, big browns and rainbows swim there but i have never fished it before. I bought a newer bait by rapala called a flat rap also. They cast better than the original minnow and they flash a lot more too, bass love'em maybe the trout will likewise. I hear the big browns like meat better than bugs.
Seal Billy

It has been my experience that rainbows like flash and browns and brookies more subtle colors.

I have always had better luck with Mepps, and less so with the Panther Martins, but most folks I know prefer the PMs.
What do you guys catch whitefish on Ingwe? My wife was just telling me last night about fishing for whitefish as a girl growing up in MT. She seemed to think they used minnows, but I was under the impression that whitefish had a sucker mouth, at least the few I've caught up her in AK have. I did catch about a 15"er on a bead rig fishing for rainbows behind spawning Kings a week or two ago.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Another day on the stream... - 08/31/15
Smaller Panther Martins...#1 or #2 and they are easy to catch on flies and nymphs.
© 24hourcampfire