Home
Posted By: GreatWaputi Arrrrrggg! Fugg'n boat! - 09/08/15
So I decided to pull the Minn-Kota electric motor off my boat, listed it on Craigslist, and sold it to the first caller Sunday. The electric motor was never hooked up to a battery since I've owned the boat (isolated to a secondary battery). Well, the new owner wanted to test it out before buying, so I unhooked the main battery and took it out of my boat to test it. Motor worked perfectly, buyer paid his money and went on his way, so I put the battery back in place and tightened everything down.

I'm off work tomorrow so was planning to hit the river to do a little fishing. Went out tonight to load some stuff in the boat, turned the key on just to make sure everything worked, and now none of my accessories work (fish finder, bilge pump, running lights, etc.). The main motor has electric start and power tilt/trim and it seems to work fine, but nothing else. Checked all the fuses I can find and they look fine. mad mad

Posted By: Slim_Sr Re: Arrrrrggg! Fugg'n boat! - 09/09/15
Check to see if you have one of these inline, somewhere around your battery. If you do it may need to be reset.

Attached picture circuit breaker.jpg
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Arrrrrggg! Fugg'n boat! - 09/09/15
Some outboards have a fuse on them my Honda does. Battery switch? Factory wiring harness usually has a fuse also.

Think simple first battery connections and work from there.

One of my outboards would not start this summer no power? Battery switch got bumped.

Posted By: 308ld Re: Arrrrrggg! Fugg'n boat! - 09/12/15
You didn't hook up the accessory wire. Should be a second red/hot wire for everything except the engine.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Arrrrrggg! Fugg'n boat! - 09/14/15
What Ed said was my first thought too
Posted By: Calvin Re: Arrrrrggg! Fugg'n boat! - 09/16/15
2 ways that it happened. You forgot a wire like it was mentioned. Or corrosion.

This will be about the easiest fix you will have on a boat.
Everything was in place as it should've been, the issue was corrosion on the battery leads for the accessories. Thanks for the replies.
© 24hourcampfire