Home
Posted By: Rug3 Bass lure information - 01/14/16
It's been years since I've fished. This summer I expect my 10yr old grandson to be with me. I'm outfitting my Meyers 12ft Lakester for fishing. How about a list of about a dozen favorite large mouth lures. Texas rig plastic worm and Hula Poppers I have.

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Bass lure information - 01/14/16
Bill Norman Deep Tiny N catches numbers of bass and an occasional crappie too. Great for kids because they just throw and wind. Charlie Brewers Slider Grubs are a weedless paddle tail grubs that doesn't snag easily and catches lots of bass. Bomber square As are cheap and catch fish good around cover. Stan Sloan and manns classic spinnerbait are very snag proof also but need to be fished on casting gear. The first 3 lures are easily fished on spinning tackle and are good fish producers and also snag resistant, even the deep tiny n and square A, even though it wouldn't seem they are.

With those lures he can catch fish and you won't be constantry getting him unhung. Good luck

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Bass lure information - 01/14/16
For my grandson, not quite 4 years old, we rigged 4" Senko with the o-ring in the middle(whacky style) on a light spinning rod and 10-20 lb. Suffix or Power Pro braid.

The braid cuts through weeds and is easier for kids and novices to handle on spinning gear....no excessive line twist etc. We fished that stuff in 2-maybe 8 feet of water and varied the weight of the hook accordingly. he caught fish.

If he is the cast and retrieve type(most kids are not real patient), and also for deeper water,then a Lucky Strike Scrounger jig head with Kalin grub or Kitek 4" Easy Shiner,on 10 pound braid.This worked so well, i "borrowed" the little spinning out fit myself and fished it to 20 feet for smallmouth up to 4 pounds. smile

Also the small sized chatter baits with a small swim bait trailer for days when the spinnerbait is not getting much attention.

For tough bites,1/8 to 3/16 oz Bitsy Bug with a small Zoom jig trailer. 1/16 oz for shallower stuff. Again, the 10 pound braid.The size bass that will hit these will surprise you sometimes.

As seal billy said,the Charlie Brewer Slider head,8-10 pound braid and a Baby Sluggo in gold/black or Arkansas Shiner will get lots of bites and also some quality fish. The baby Sluggo is as close to a slam dunk for bites as it gets.

None of this stuff is terribly expensive so if he gets hung up and breaks off, you won't break the bank,too. Kids are tough on gear sometimes.

For deeper water and light line, a 4-5" Yamamoto Hula Grub and 1/4 oz foot ball jig.This is a bit beefier presentation.

Posted By: Rug3 Re: Bass lure information - 01/14/16
seal_billy, RobinNH

So, this rifle loony goes on the fishing section with a question and who shows up? The guys who I read in the rifle/hunting forums!

This grandson is all movement. I want him to to be catching fish so that he isn't bored.

I greatly appreciate your help guys. I can readily believe your stuff cuz I know you from the above threads. Integrity.

Thanks guys.

More suggestions anyone?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Bass lure information - 01/14/16
Rugs: Before there was hunting and shooting, there was fishing... smile

During summer,when in doubt, rig the Senko. If the boy is antsy, rig it whacky with the light wire hooks that have some weight to them. Gamagatsu and Owner and others make them especially for this type rigging. I cast out, let it go to the bottom (sometimes 14 feet or so). Many hits will come on the drop. If not, I drag slowly until I feel it hang on grass. Then "POP",hard...a snap out of the grass. The braid has no stretch,making a direct connection,and the bass will react. Bites are subtle and the braid aids in detection.

People will say use a fluorocarbon leader with braid.In clear water,no cover, sure. In grass, I don't bother .

There are so many small baits today,and subtle presentations, to generate strikes,it's hard to even think of them all. Grubs, tubes, Senko's, small worms,Zoom Centipedes....all will get strikes. The secret is in the presentations and the "where".Bass location is #1...then presentation.

Moving baits and horizontal presentations to cover water;and then slow down with vertical stuff to catch more fish once you find them.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Bass lure information - 01/15/16
If he's the fidgety, no patience type of kid (and most are) then crankbaits and spinnerbaits are ideal. Get a couple each for shallow, medium, and deep diving. Most stores have bargain bins with Yozuri lures for $3 or so each. Rapalas run as much as $10 each.

Cast 'em out, reel 'em in. The lures supply the action. And they catch fish.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Bass lure information - 01/15/16
My son and I have been keeping these little guys busy with top water,crank baits and plastics most of the time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or until the sandman comes calling..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Bass lure information - 01/15/16
Let him try your Hula Poppers too. If he gets a bass on a surface lure at that age he won't forget it.

Posted By: Rug3 Re: Bass lure information - 01/15/16
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. This is helpful and appreciated.

He was given a 6' medium Ugly Stick and a Shakespeare spincast reel, 10lb mono. I think I'll leave that combo alone. The same person gave me the same pole and a Zebco Omega ZO3PRO. Their idea was grandson has simple, functional gear like Papa has.

Lure suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Woody
What a beautiful photo run! Absolutely great. Subject matter! Melts this old-e grandpa's heart. Thanks.
Jim
BobinNH

As I read this opening line I remembered that in my dad's 1910 McGuffey Reader scribbled in caps, in his hand, are the words, "WHEN GOD CREATED THIS WORLD HE MADE IT TWO THIRDS WATER. HE MUST HAVE INTENDED THAT WE SPEND TWO THIRDS OF OUR TIME FISHING!

Thanks again
Jim
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Bass lure information - 01/24/16
My short list for a beginning angler-
Spinnerbaits. All he has to do is cast and reel-high rod tip-keep the lure up by the surface. Match the lure color to the water color-clear water-go with white. Not so clear-chartreuse. Muddy water-black with copper blades.

Crankbaits-cast and reel once again.

About the easiest surface lure to learn how to fish is an Arbogast Jitterbug.

Buzz baits-cast and reel. Keep it up on the surface.

From this start he can move on to rubber worms, jigs with trailers or pork rind, and more finesse lures. Most kids need to be kept a little busy, that's why I like to start 'em on the cast and reel stuff.
© 24hourcampfire