Home
Posted By: JDK Fly fishing for toothy critters - 03/21/16
Anyone here flyfish for pike, bluefish or other toothy fish? My goal this year is a muskie on a fly and I'm looking for tippet suggestions. Lots of people on line like heavy fluorocarbon whist others recommnd knottable wire.
Might try Ingwe here on the fire. Send him a PM. He likes to fish for snot rockets.
Ive always used table wire, a brand named " Toothy Critter" but do your homework...I haven't done it in a couple years and I hear there is something better on the market...I think its fluorocarbon but can't say for sure.
Had someone tell me to use Hard Mono, like they used for shock tippets on Tarpon. I got some 80lb. hard mono and it lasted a whole six seconds before the pike went through it.
Toothy Critter is good if you don't find anything else...
[Linked Image]Wire Leader. I think this was RIO Bite Wire.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive always used table wire, a brand named " Toothy Critter" but do your homework...I haven't done it in a couple years and I hear there is something better on the market...I think its fluorocarbon but can't say for sure.
Had someone tell me to use Hard Mono, like they used for shock tippets on Tarpon. I got some 80lb. hard mono and it lasted a whole six seconds before the pike went through it.
Toothy Critter is good if you don't find anything else...

Tarpon are big, but they don't have teeth so mono and flourocarbon works for them.

While we don't have pike down here, we have plenty of mackerel, sharks, bluefish, jack crevalle, etc. that eagerly take a fly--wire is the only solution I have found. "Tooth Proof," "Malin," "Ande," they are all good.

While flouro does resist abrasion well, if the critter has significant teeth it isn't much better than mono.
I live less than two hours from the best musky fishery in the world (Lake of the Woods, Ontario), so I consider it an obligation to fish for these addictive creatures. It's more like hunting than fishing. I use a 12", 100# Berkley Vanish leader (fluorocarbon) w/ 80# Power-Pro on baitcasting tackle for muskies. NEVER had a fish bite off. They get off for other reasons though.
© 24hourcampfire