Home
My top 3 are a 1/32 beetle spin, 1/64th hand tied duck fly tied on a homemade button head jig head tipped with a Berkley power wiggler and the strike king bitsy pond minnow.

Honorable mention, 1/8 black wooly worm Joe's flies spinner.

What you throwing them with? Rod and reel type?
Posted By: tjk Re: Your favorite sunfish lures? - 05/18/16
Rubber legged spider on a light fly rod, any color.

If using ultralight spinning gear won't argue with any of your choices.
^agree^ with a fly rod a foam spider is hard to beat.

WP47, I throw all the above lures on a on a 6'2" medium light shimano clarus. It sounds heavy but it really like an ultra lite with a medium back bone. The duck jig I throw on a 7' light action rod sometimes under a float. I use a light action on it cause I catch lots of crappie on it as well in heavy weed and wood cover, it's hard to get them out with a ultra lite. Spinning tackle for the short answer if you weren't looking for particulars.
The full moon is on the 21st! I hope the water temp is high enuff and I don't have to wait till June to catch ridiculous amounts of big bluegills and shellcrackers. It's been a year and I'm ready!!!!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Your favorite sunfish lures? - 05/18/16
12ft john boat, lightweight spinning, 6lb stren, split shot, #6 eagle claw, can of earthworms. Fun! I'm old and old school.
Hard to beat a small Beetle Spin, or a rubber legged spider on a fly rod. Here lately, I've been catching a lot of big skillet sized bluegills at the Ranch on a hand tied jig my nephew makes. Also caught a couple of 2 lb crappie and a 4.5 lb bass on them last week.
His web sight is: https://www.brushlunker.com
White or black Roostertails are my go to on an ultralight set up. Small Rattle traps next. On a fly rod a green rubber spider is all you need. I boated an 11" redear a couple of weeks ago on a 1/4 oz. white Roostertail. That is a record for me.
Oh, Happy Birthday chlinstructor!!

BP...
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
White or black Roostertails are my go to on an ultralight set up. Small Rattle traps next. On a fly rod a green rubber spider is all you need. I boated an 11" redear a couple of weeks ago on a 1/4 oz. white Roostertail. That is a record for me.
Oh, Happy Birthday chlinstructor!!

BP...

Thanks! I feel older than dirt wink
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Hard to beat a small Beetle Spin, or a rubber legged spider on a fly rod. Here lately, I've been catching a lot of big skillet sized bluegills at the Ranch on a hand tied jig my nephew makes. Also caught a couple of 2 lb crappie and a 4.5 lb bass on them last week.
His web sight is: https://www.brushlunker.com

On your mention of those lures on a previous post, I ordered half a dozen of them.
Posted By: davet Re: Your favorite sunfish lures? - 05/19/16
Bobby Garland makes a bait called an itty bit swimmer, and I've done well with it this year and last year.

I tie several jigs 1/64 and 1/32 oz mostly that are also very good.

Nothing wrong with a cricket on a light wire hook either.
Berkley Gulp 1" minnows are deadly. I also like 1" slider grubs and panfish assassins on a 1/16 jighead I gotta look up that Itty bitty swimmer.
Haven't bream fished in years but we used to catch them on a popping bug and breamer. The Breamer was a black fuzzy wrapped hook with white rubber band like legs, and the popping bug was mostly used to keep the depth like you wanted, but you would catch a fish on occasion with them. Don't know if they are still around or not. miles.
Bare hook, can of corn.

What's the next question?

Best mosquito lure? I know this one too, it's me.

Black ant on a flyrod.
When I get the chance to bluegill fish, I usually use one of my # 6 Fenglass fly rods and a half back..

Years ago, I used a black gnat..

My step daughter in Mich. just sent a photo of a nice catch she made with a black ant.. I will have to try that later this summer..
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Bare hook, can of corn.

What's the next question?

Best mosquito lure? I know this one too, it's me.

I'm poisonous to mosquitos. 😆

I have used the black ant too and it is a good lure. When they have been hammered or are in super clear water and skittish I put a gulp maggot or power wiggler on a salmon egg hook a d throw it on a fly rod. It works when nothing else will.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Your favorite sunfish lures? - 05/21/16
Im with you on the tiny beetle spin, if its a fly under the surface I like girdle bugs...on the surface a chartreuse popping bug.....NOTHING more fun than that!
Girdle bugs, never heard of them. Gonna Google that right now.
Ah yes, girdle bugs, very much like a bream killer or a legion. I tie up a bunch this winter that are similar but I haven't used them yet. It rained all flippin day off and on. Tomorrow it's on! I did drive to my newly acquired property and took a peek at the river and it was clear ooooo joy!
© 24hourcampfire