Home
Posted By: wabigoon Report from Northern Dave? - 01/21/17
How is the ice on Lake of the Woods?
Snow, and slush?
Thickness?
Hi there Wabigoon.

I skipped last weekend but a friend that fishes during the week called me with a report today. He moved his skid house from a wet/slushy spot to a good clean section of ice, he's got 22" of ice under him with no flooding when he drilled the holes. Driving off of the established and wider lake roads is currently difficult. The established lake roads that have been kept wide are sort of crowned high in the center and for the most part are clear of water. narrower and newer lake roads do still have water and slush. The flooded areas (the majority of the lake) are trying to heal up so to speak. But currently the travel is difficult because there is a thin frozen layer with water and slush between it and the main ice sheet. So, until it all freezes together it will be frustrating an very much unadvisable to travel off the established lake roads, your tires will fall through the top crust, and you will make swear words.

Thank you, that is all.
"you will make swear words."

I just laughed and spit water at the same time laugh
Thank you Dave!

Slush is what I was wondering about. A snow machine might be better than a wheel rig?

Hopefully by the time I make the trek to NW Ontario the ice will be easier to navigate.
As to ice thickness, my motto is, under the ice is for the fish, on top for me!
© 24hourcampfire