Home
Posted By: 65BR Boating accident - 04/09/17
Mechanical issues caused it.

PFD and Kill-switch can be a life saver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AkgjPkCQXc&feature=share

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boating accident - 04/09/17
GREAT POST, I preach wearing a PFD. The kill switch is as good. Again, the don't ring a bell just before you need the jacket.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Boating accident - 04/10/17
I threaten to sue anyone who refuses to wear one in my boat, if they get hurt. laugh (For my own, it's mandatory....zero issues even after they're no longer required by law ..age 13.)

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boating accident - 04/10/17
I told a friend, I'd hate tell his wife how he died.
He put the vest on.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Boating accident - 04/17/17
Good policy guys
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Boating accident - 04/24/17
Good refresher
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Boating accident - 04/25/17
My boat. I wear - you wear. That's it.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Boating accident - 04/26/17
When we are at the lake, the kids aren't even allowed on the dock without a life jacket. In the boat, it is absolutely required.

I bought an auto-fill pfd so it would be a little more comfortable when you're out for hours at a time.
Posted By: rondrews Re: Boating accident - 04/26/17
No kids in my boat either without a life jacket. I don't care if they can swim like a fish. The Jackets now days are made to fit comfortably, not like the old 4" thick ones. Tarkio has it right. Spend a couple of extra bucks on an Auto-Fill jacket. You can buy a re-fill cylinder and they can be used over and over. I never got a complaint from a kid about putting one on.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Boating accident - 05/03/17
Be careful on the inflatable units the O-rings go bad and they fail... would not trust one that had more than year-old seals...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boating accident - 05/03/17
The old May West vests are rated the safest, the least comfort however. I'll stay with a well fitting vest, and keep the zipper up!
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Boating accident - 05/05/17
My boat, my rules. You will wear a life jacket any time the gas motor's running, and any time we're further than casting distance from shore.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Boating accident - 05/05/17
don't about other places, but they ones on the news that they fish out
of the lakes around here never have on their jackets.
Posted By: fester Re: Boating accident - 05/08/17
I watched a knuckle head launch his kayak into the feather river, which was moving fast while I was striper fishing from the bank.
I asked if He was floating down and how far. He replied he was going to anchor and fish? 😳
I didn't see a life jacket and told him good luck and have fun! Two minutes later I hear a splash and see him bobbing and screaming
For help. Us guys on the beach got a boaters attention and they went and got his ass. Lucky fellow flipped his rig by dropping
Anchor from his seat and it was almost a fatal mistake. I felt hopeless and thought I was going to watch him drown. Again. Hes very lucky
A boater/Good Samaritan saved him.........
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Boating accident - 05/10/17
Originally Posted by Ranger99
don't about other places, but they ones on the news that they fish out
of the lakes around here never have on their jackets.

We have a saying at work,

It may not save your life every time but if not, it makes it easier for them to find your sorry ass so your family can bury you.

Worked at one place where it was required but we had a couple of folks that wouldn't every time. I was safety officer at that time and reported one dude more than once. I'm not even sure the bosses wrote him up the second time. mad

Geno
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boating accident - 05/10/17
The day my father drowned, no one cared so much about how the fishing was that day.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Boating accident - 06/02/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The day my father drowned, no one cared so much about how the fishing was that day.
Sorry to hear about your father, wabigoon.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boating accident - 06/02/17
Thank you Gunner, that was back in 1984.
© 24hourcampfire