Home
Posted By: chesterwy 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
I’m loading some 230 grain cast lead bullets for my s&w 625. Brass is full length sized, and checked in a Hornady headspace/case length gauge. Sized brass plunks right into the gauge with no problem. Seat a bullet, check in the gauge and no go. Seat bullet a little deeper, and the cartridge goes in the gauge a little further. I have to seat them what seems to be pretty deep to get them to plunk into the gauge. I understand that seating depth with increase pressure, these things seem pretty short to me. Can anyone explain to me what’s going on here?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
Plunk the rounds to the revolver and say bye bye to the gauge. IMO
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
Get a Lee Carbide crimp die. I had the same headache with some ammo. The Lee Carbide Crimp dies fixed the problem.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Plunk the rounds to the revolver and say bye bye to the gauge. IMO

^This^

They are gonna be fired in the revolver, not that that gauge.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
Did that, the ones that are seated long only go half way into the cylinder.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
1.275 max length with 230 ball. Your revolver is telling you they are too damn long.
Posted By: Mooseman684 Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
If your Cast Bullets are a bit oversize they will in some cases expand the case making them difficult to chamber. I size to .452 /.453 diameter and Load to recommended OAL.
At .454 I had the same problem with a 625 Revolver, and a tight chambered Colt 1911 Match gun.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
That was the problem right there. These were purchased from a commercial caster. And I checked them this morning and they are .454. Ran them through a Lee sizing die and now they are good to go.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: 45 ACP Headspace - 03/06/24
Years ago I switched to .45 auto rim cases for my 45acp revolvers. For me it made things a lot easier.
© 24hourcampfire