Home
Posted By: sjphillips Primers? - 03/13/24
Does a guy need magnum primers shooting reduced loads with a 44 mag? Using 6.5 grains of titegroup.Also does anyone have any leads on pistol primers? Got caught with my pants down, thanks.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Primers? - 03/13/24
Nope, no issues. As for primer availability, I see large&small pistol primers out there but no large rifle primers.

Regular LP primers are more versatile than one might think. I use LP primers exclusively in my .32-40 match rifles with 14gr. 4227, and .40-65 black powder loads. No problems whatsoever, but my loads are in the 20K psi neighborhood. (If the shorter by a RCH height of the LP primer bothers you for use in a LR primer pocket the workaround is to interpose a piece of newspaper under the case and seat the primer through it, punching a tiny paper wad that keeps the primer back flush to the case rim. The primer flame punches through the paper no sweat.)
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Primers? - 03/13/24
I shoot a .44 Special load of 7.5gr. Unique (in a magnum case) in my .44 Magnum, never used magnum primers. Standard CCI LP primers work fine, I've been shooting this load for more than 40 yrs.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Primers? - 03/13/24
American Reloading has both LR & LP primers on stock right now. Not cheap must admit
Posted By: centershot Re: Primers? - 03/13/24
I use WLP primers in my 44mag using 7gr of Titegroup w/ 240gr LSWC bullets. No issues. Local Ace Hardware had them for $69.99/1000 about as good as I have found lately.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Primers? - 03/13/24
NOT.......LP primers...but small pistol

Bought 5K of these and so far they all go bang

$50/brick shipped iffin ya buy 3 bricks

https://normausa.com/product/blowout/primers-b/small-pistol-primers-made-in-argentina/
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Primers? - 03/14/24
They're good primers. I bought a couple bricks last year and darned if I can tell a difference from domestic primers.
Posted By: dla Re: Primers? - 03/14/24
No, you don't need magnum primers with that load. And it won't hurt a thing if you do. That runs about 930fps pushing a 240gr lswc 4" barrel.
Have fun!
Posted By: sjphillips Re: Primers? - 03/15/24
Thanks for the replies, guess I won’t worry about getting magnum primer’s then.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Primers? - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
They're good primers. I bought a couple bricks last year and darned if I can tell a difference from domestic primers.

Just ordered another 3K today----$160 shipped (with tax)

Always use 'em for trade bait WTSHF
© 24hourcampfire