Home
Posted By: Irving_D My Rooster from a Kayak - 01/29/24
For the past few years I've been heading to Panama to chase big fish in little boats. This guy I got a few weeks ago on my last trip was my biggest and 18 cm from being the new world record.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 01/29/24
Heckuva rooster, Irving. I've never caught one that big.
Posted By: Osky Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 01/31/24
That’s a beasty. Biggger than any I’ve caught. My destination for them has always been Costa Rica.

Osky
Posted By: sidepass Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 01/31/24
Beautiful fish!
That's so friggin' cool. How long did it take you to land it?
Posted By: Jcubed Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/01/24
Awesome fish!

Congrats!
Posted By: dukxdog Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/01/24
Great Rooster! Well done! Looks fun!
Posted By: olgrouser Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/03/24
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Awesome fish!

Congrats!

+1

AND WOW!
Posted By: Irving_D Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/03/24
I've never heard of these fish until traveling to Panama and they have quickly become my favorite. They are like a bass on steroids. The little 2 foot and under roosters fight like he'll jumping out of water and putting on a hell of a acrobat show. And these big guys will give you a hell of a ride in a kayak or kick the crap out of you if you are in a boat. Kayak fishing in the ocean is almost like jug fishing except you are the jug getting pulled around
Posted By: Irving_D Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/03/24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
That's so friggin' cool. How long did it take you to land it?
Probably about 20 minutes or so, based on the time the boat showed up and started recording
Posted By: muleshoe Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/06/24
Wow!
Nice and on a kayak must of been a wild ride.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/10/24
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Wow!

What he said!👆🏻
Posted By: 44mc Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/11/24
how good do they fry up?
Posted By: Irving_D Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/13/24
These guys we catch and release. More of a trophy fish, and not very good eating. Very bloody and supposedly a very mushy flesh
Posted By: bowfisher Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/18/24
Very cool ! That's an accomplishment!!
Posted By: 44mc Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/18/24
that sucks, a fish that cool looking should taste great
Posted By: VernAK Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/22/24
Roosters are great fun and that's a nice one. I fished for them a lot off Punta Arenas out of LaPaz with Rooster Bill. We caught some huge ones also.

I couldn't see your bait. We used Lady Fish but I've heard of poppers being popular in Central America.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/24/24
Wow, unfortunately for me my biggest wouldn't even interest that Rooster as bait.

Congrats.
Posted By: MTSLW Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 02/27/24
Dang, he drag you around much? We’re headed out to try our luck in the morning! Suppose to be a few around right now down here in Baja.
Posted By: 02bfishn Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 03/02/24
That is a STUD Roosterfish. Very nice.
Posted By: scoony Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 03/05/24
Cool, where abouts are you fishing in Panama? I am actually flying there tomorrow. We will be fishing for Peacock bass in the canal. Had looked at some off-shore fishing, but not sure I have the time this trip.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by scoony
Cool, where abouts are you fishing in Panama? I am actually flying there tomorrow. We will be fishing for Peacock bass in the canal. Had looked at some off-shore fishing, but not sure I have the time this trip.
I fish cambutal it’s a six hour drive from the city. How long are you going to be in Panama I’m going to be there next week
Posted By: scoony Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Originally Posted by scoony
I fish cambutal it’s a six hour drive from the city. How long are you going to be in Panama I’m going to be there next week

I am only here for a week this time and staying in La Chorrera. Pretty much a full schedule with only one day for fishing the canal. We have a farm that is along Gatum Lake. I will be spending more time down here in the future, probably live here 3-4 months out of the year once I retire.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: My Rooster from a Kayak - 03/06/24
That sounds like a great plan, I absolutely love Panama, I really hope they get things figured out with the canal, and their politics in general. I will be in town next Friday for 10 days going to rent a car and do some more exploring
© 24hourcampfire