Home
I bought 2 Ugly Stik Surf Rods, 15' med heavy and 12' heavy action.
Now I need reels for both and looking for suggestions. I rented equipment a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. I used 2-3 oz. storm sinkers on double surf rig with sqid. Trying to stay under $100 each. I will be fishing Indian River Inlet south. Any suggestions, line test, best times to go, bait, advise welcome.
Tacksmacker
Check out this forum.
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/index.php
I just bought two Daiwa DF100A Giant spinning reels for about $28 each on Amazon.com. Plan on taking them for long-range tuna trip on boat in Baja, but they should work equally good for surf casting. Can't see giving $200+ for a reel. The angler and the rod do all the work, the reel is for line capacity, ease of casting, and drag.
@ under $100 each I would look at something from Shimano b/c everything they make is quality. After that Okuma makes a decent reel for the money. If you were looking over $100 I would have some others to mention however Shimano would still be in the mix.

Keep an eye on Ebay for some Shimano Baitrunner 6500s or a comprable sized Okuma Salina. They will both go nice with your big surf rods. Remember to rinse your rods, rod guides, rod handles, and rod reel seats as well as your reels thoroughly with fresh water after each use. DO NOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT DAY!
i prefer bait casters but the Shimano Baitrunner 6500s are good reels
SteveG

PM sent.

croldfort
© 24hourcampfire