Home
Posted By: Pashooter Best braid to fluro knot? - 02/12/15
What knot do you use to connect braid to leader i have used the Albright and the yucatan suggestions welcome.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 02/12/15
I use a surgeon's knot, quick and easy to tie consistently. I had my son do a science project on various fishing knots to see how what they failed at. It's enlightening to see how different knots can reduce braids strength by 1/2. Didn't test the albright, but with the surgeon breaking at 90% of line strength I've seen no reason to change.
Thanks for your info i will try both your knots.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 02/13/15
Originally Posted by Pashooter
What knot do you use to connect braid to leader i have used the Albright and the yucatan suggestions welcome.

I use the Red Phillips knot for any mono/flouro to braid. Smallest, strongest, simplest to tie that I have seen. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Comparison of Red Phillips knot(top) to a uni to uni knot with 65 pound braid and 60 pound Trilene Big Game mono

[Linked Image]
That's a new one for me but I'm going to remember it, for sure.
this is only knot i use to attach braid to floro or mono.plus after i make the knot i'll put a tiny bit of super glue on it.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by wink_man

I use the Red Phillips knot for any mono/flouro to braid. Smallest, strongest, simplest to tie that I have seen. Try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Comparison of Red Phillips knot(top) to a uni to uni knot with 65 pound braid and 60 pound Trilene Big Game mono

[Linked Image]
i'll give this one try.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 02/13/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'll give this one try.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

One of the other reasons I like it, in addition to what I already mentioned is no need for super glue. I've pretty much tried them all, and all except this one will start to unravel if they are reeled through the guides to many times except the Red Phillips knot.

And no more of those super glue spots on my jeans, LOL.
I use a modified surgeons knot but am going to try the phillips knot Wink_man posted, it looks easy to tie. If I'm using two lines of similar dia. I use a blood knot because it casts through the guides very well.

I have never seen that knot before wink_man, thanks for that!
Posted By: yobuck Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 02/14/15

I like this also, I just hope i dont forget to remember it.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Although I invented and published the "Dog Knot" for connecting braid to mono, I don't even use my own knot anymore after learning this one......
http://FISHinKONA.com/jigging.htm
Posted By: forpest Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 02/27/15
Started using the seaguar know this winter, as I can tie it in the limited light of a fish house. All good so far
http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/seaguar-knot/
Yucatan is my favorite. For light work (fresh/inshore) I'll do a spider hitch for the loop. Heavy stuff gets a Bimini twist.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/yucatan-knot/
I like a uni-to-uni knot.
I tried the red phillips knot wink_man posted. Its easy to tie and cast through the guides like butter. thanks bro.
Uni to Uni (double uni) for line to line. You can tie it in the dark or wind pretty well.

forpest, if you're using Seaguar for leader material, good choice. I've gone down to the 22 lb for inshore light spin tackle and it is tough.
this one looks good

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pjzUb5QRKuk[/video]
Posted By: 17Hunter Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 03/18/15
Ive been using the double uni knot for several years, but am going to give the Red Phillips a try. That looks easier.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 03/19/15
I have a question for you guys regarding your overall opinion of mono vs braid from an overall satisfaction standpoint.
First off im old and somewhat set on the things that have worked for me. I never realized i had any line problem using
mono untill people kept telling me i did. Over the last few years i switched some of my conventional reels and some spinners
over to braid. On light spinners i always just go line to leader
with no double with a uni uni. On heavier line spinners and
my conventional bottom/trolling outfits which are never spooled
over 30# i use a 6 wrap spider hitch double and a yukitan or
similar to attach my leader. Ive never had a failure with this
with the type fish i target.
My problem now with braid is knots. Seems the way ive been doing things wont work with this stuff. The ammount of wraps
around the thumb on the spider hitch is impossible for me.
Ive tied the Red Phillips knot with no effort and of coarse i can tie uni's. But that leaves out the double line. Im guessing
nobody's using a double with braid? If not id like to be clued
in on the best way to tie one without using a bimini or some
other more difficult knot.
Im tempted to just trash the braid and go back to my comfort level, mono.
I used the Red Phillips knot several times this weekend. It is indeed both quick to tie and small. (I did learn that when snugging up the uni knot in the braid to pull on the standing line first. If you pull the tag end, you risk sliding the uni knot off the short tail of doubled mono, thus ruining the knot. Had to cut and start over the first time I tried it.)

As always, you need a sharp scissors or nail clippers to trim the braid tag end. A knife leaves a frayed, ugly end.

I had earlier lost a snagged lure and leader when my uni-uni knot broke under heavy pressure. No such problem with the Red Phillips, but I never had a hard snag with that setup, either. I replaced a buddy's leader with the RP knot, and the second tying attempt went much smoother. It's a keeper in my bag of knot tricks.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 03/31/15
Originally Posted by yobuck
I have a question for you guys regarding your overall opinion of mono vs braid from an overall satisfaction standpoint.
First off im old and somewhat set on the things that have worked for me. I never realized i had any line problem using
mono untill people kept telling me i did. Over the last few years i switched some of my conventional reels and some spinners
over to braid. On light spinners i always just go line to leader
with no double with a uni uni. On heavier line spinners and
my conventional bottom/trolling outfits which are never spooled
over 30# i use a 6 wrap spider hitch double and a yukitan or
similar to attach my leader. Ive never had a failure with this
with the type fish i target.
My problem now with braid is knots. Seems the way ive been doing things wont work with this stuff. The ammount of wraps
around the thumb on the spider hitch is impossible for me.
Ive tied the Red Phillips knot with no effort and of coarse i can tie uni's. But that leaves out the double line. Im guessing
nobody's using a double with braid? If not id like to be clued
in on the best way to tie one without using a bimini or some
other more difficult knot.
Im tempted to just trash the braid and go back to my comfort level, mono.

I'm a huge fan of braid, the sensitivity and reduced drag when fishing deep is a huge benefit, not to mention being able to get a solid hook set no matter how deep you're fishing. Between salt and fresh water for various class of fish I've got well over a dozen rods for the family and having to re spool them every season or every other season due to mono memory is expensive and time consuming. Braid doesn't form any memory and so long as you don't get uv degredation or abrasion, it'll last a long time.

I've settled on the surgeon knot for tying on single mono or fluro leaders.

[Linked Image]

It may not be the absolute strongest knot, or the smallest knot, but I can tie it quickly and easily and my break tests have shown that I get consistent breaks of 80-000% line strength. Other knots I tested could go anywhere from 50-100% based on if I tied it just right, or maybe fudged the knot. I want a knot I can just easily tie at the comfort of a work bench as the deck of a heaving boat at the end of a long day.
Tag
Surgeons knot works great as well as a uni. I used them for years. I bought a little thing called a fast tyer and it hangs on my lanyard around my neck. It ties a quick knot. When using braid to mono i give the braid a half hitch at the end just to lock in down. After ten years and thousands of connections I have yet to have one fail.
As fare as braid, i have been fishing it on spinning reels since 2002. I love it as i do a lot of jigging and topwater. Mono now feels like fishing with a rubberband line.
Been using the Red Phillips knot for about 12 years. It's a great knot.
Good stuff
Posted By: 4ager Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 06/13/15
I've been using this one, the "Alberto knot" recently. It ties fast, is very strong, very compact, and trims down well to a tiny size (flies through the guides).

Posted By: yobuck Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 06/13/15
[quote=4ager]I've been using this one, the "Alberto knot" recently. It ties fast, is very strong, very compact, and trims down well to a tiny size (flies through the guides).

I like that knot, so much so ive saved it on my favorite list.
thanks for posting it.
I've been using the Alberto knot since switching from the double uni a few years ago but will give the Red Phillips a try next time I re-rig.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 07/30/15
Boarmaster,

I too have been using Braid on my spinners, agreed that Mono seems almost unusable in most of my fishing interests now. Tip Wrap being the only annoying feature I have. There was a bit of a learning curve on tying functional knots with it as well.

A significant part of the success or failure is the quality and vintage of the reel. Braid is detested by many folks using spinning reels because the reels are not new enough to have had braid use designed into their function.

Using a newer, higher quality Spinning reel with the use of Braid designed in solves most problems. Braid line stacking on the spool is the primary struggle for older reels. As is spool lip wear, and bail roller wear.

One other thing is to get into the practice of closing the bail by hand after casting. Closing the bail with the handle causes excessive line twist. After a day of casting this twist accumulates. This can cause a frustration with the braid twisting.( Similar to mono actually)

Posted By: Anaconda Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/08/16
to the top
Posted By: kingston Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/08/16
If you haven't tried the FG Knot, you don't know what your missing.

What # test? Uni to Uni will NOT work!
Posted By: logger Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/09/16
We use the Alberto knot for our salmon trolling rigs and have had no issues.
Originally Posted by 4ager
I've been using this one, the "Alberto knot" recently. It ties fast, is very strong, very compact, and trims down well to a tiny size (flies through the guides).

Thanks! I'm going to give that one a try.
JJHack,
I was instructed by my tackle shop guru to close the bail by hand when I bought my first spool of braid. That was good advise. Other than the occasional windknot I never have had issue with braid. Same with circle hooks. I learned to fish with them where appropriate so I never had an issue with them. I do use other hooks as neccessary.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/11/16

[Linked Image]

I have had good success with the Alberto knot and find it very easy to tie...

The knot is even slimmer than the RP and ends up very neat, with no tag ends sticking out at 90 degrees unlike some of other knots already mentioned...
Posted By: Jude Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/11/16
I'll be using the John Collins knot this fall.

Its on youtube.

It is indeed very good. The problem with most of these knots is they leave a tag end of the fluoro than will work loose going back and forth through the guides. The FG knot avoids the problem. Other knots will have a shorter life span and require you to keep an eye on them to retie often. It is important with all these knots to put them under strain and check them before using.
This. The secret is pulling all four ends at the same time.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ltppowell

[Linked Image]
this my preferred knot for connect any two lines.
Originally Posted by kingston

This. Never gets caught up in the guides.
Posted By: Jude Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 12/05/16

I use this knot and have had no failure's.
Originally Posted by Jude

Have you tried tying it in a rocking boat?
Posted By: yobuck Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 12/10/16

[Linked Image]
this my preferred knot for connect any two lines.

I'll bet it would be a blast to tie this in conjunction with a bimini twist on a rocking boat. lol
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by Jude

Have you tried tying it in a rocking boat?

I have. I find it easier and more effective than the Albright, Alberto or Sands knots I used before.
So far as per those who test knots with exacting test equipment, this is the best. It is called the FG knot. See link below (you can also see demos on YouTube.

http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fg-knot/
Posted By: kingston Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 12/20/16
FG or modified FG

There's no competition.
It's not hard. Five twists with each hand, take the tag ends and do it again. After a couple of thousand times, you can do it in the dark. smile
aye aye captain
I've actually had good luck with the Lefty Kreh-type,braid to flouro, by adding a few more twists before tightening down. It's not as slim as the FG, but it's WAY faster/easier, and at least as tough in my saltwater use with 20# Snook up to 70# bull sharks. The FG takes more loops than indicated, to hold flouro to braid, IME.....but I'm often running similarly #rated rated, lighter poundage lines, which means very thin/slick braids vs much thicker/stiffer leaders...it's just hard to do strong AND small AND easy to tie, with braid to flouro, but it might be me. wink
Tag

P
I prefer to use overshots.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

It is indeed very good. The problem with most of these knots is they leave a tag end of the fluoro than will work loose going back and forth through the guides. The FG knot avoids the problem. Other knots will have a shorter life span and require you to keep an eye on them to retie often. It is important with all these knots to put them under strain and check them before using.

WTF can't people just tie the f*cking knot. I don't need 6 God damned minutes.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 02/05/17
I have tried the FG knot a few times, and I love how slim it ends up....I don't think its possible to get a less bulky knot, plus the mono tag end faces towards the reef meaning there is nothing to catch the eyes when casting..

That said, I don't think I would trust it if fishing light with low lb/low diameter mono....
Well, I'm also having SERIOUS issues with any of the new powerpro 8, also, so it's hard to figure if it's that knot or the slick 8, when that's been the combo. The kreh knot isn't as small, but it's reliable.

What I feel is fact: that knot on that exact powerpro in the video, is begging for heartache.
Posted By: KuiLei Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 03/12/17
Been using the Alberto for about a dozen years or something like that now. It doesn't suck...

Might have to try something new, just for grins though.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 03/13/17
FG knot. Slim and easy to tie. One of the best higher strength knots around.

I really like braid on my baitcasters and fluoro- for leaders. I also connect the two with a surgeons knot but make six wraps instead of the often seen three. I'm talking about 20-lb braid to say 10-lb fluoro-.

Even with six wraps it's a surprisingly small knot. The bass I fish for though are the northerns so not the hogs of the south. Still, I've had no break-offs with the six-wrap surgeon. And it's an easy knot to tie.
FG knot...
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!

Ed
Posted By: yobuck Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 03/29/17
Just heard about the F G knot and it does appear to be very nice. There is an online instructional video.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 05/14/17
Alberto Knott, easy, strong, low profile.

Posted By: chas05 Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/03/17
Ttt
It's not hard. Five twists with each hand, take the tag ends and do it again. After a couple of thousand times, you can do it in the dark. smile

Yep.

Glad I didn't know better last weekend.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/29/17
FG all summer in the striper boils with no failures.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 10/02/17
Been tying the Improved Albright - looks identical to the Crazy Alberto. Hasn't failed yet.
i always used the back to back uni-knot, or also called the double uni-knot. I tied 50# braid to anything from 20 to 50# mono.

That does look pretty simple and doable in the wind and a rocking boat. I've been doing the double Uni for awhile now.
Posted By: kingston Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 12/27/18
Originally Posted by RickBin
FG all summer in the striper boils with no failures.

Holy shït, someone was listening.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 03/26/20
Back to back or double uni knot is my go to knot. It works well, fast and easy to tie, goes through the guides well and has been proven to be a strong reliable knot for many years.
Tag again
Originally Posted by jc189
Back to back or double uni knot is my go to knot. It works well, fast and easy to tie, goes through the guides well and has been proven to be a strong reliable knot for many years.

^^^^
Posted By: kingston Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 04/20/20
FG

I’ve been using the Alberto... no problems there at all...

I’ll have to try the F G... weird looking knot.. but I like the 3 cinches it finishes with.
Posted By: 257James Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 04/20/20
I tie one called the Red Phillips
Posted By: Blueboy Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 04/22/20
Google the GT knot....rated the strongest braid to mono knot...100%. Stronger than the FG knot and I have used the FG for some time now, but the GT is easier to tie and for that reason alone is a go to knot for me.
GT knot is the highest knot strength to break test ratio.

Posted By: WDEA Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 07/23/20
FG for 60lb and up

25 turn albright with 10 turn back tie 20-50lb

Uni to uni 10-17lb
Posted By: 16bore Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 08/29/20
I don’t reckon the GT knot works with Fireline? I’ve been monkeying with it this morning and it seems a “no”
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 08/30/20
Tag for future reference
Posted By: finnagle Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/14/20
Definitely the Uni-Knot in my opinion.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/15/20

I usually don't hook them direct, I put a swivel in between hoping to keep the braid from spinning.

Tom
I use the albright knot. Works on tuna, grouper, shark, you name it.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Best braid to fluro knot? - 09/27/20
I enjoy watching Youtube videos and trying to tie the various choices.
But for me at least it comes down to what is easy for me to tie.
For some reason i dont do well with certain knots, like uni to uni for example.
The easiest for me is whats best for me, and thats the Yucitan.
© 24hourcampfire