Home
Posted By: Sponxx My first tied flies - 10/26/15
Not quite flies, but bucktail jigs and a teaser hook for attaching to spoons and heavy plugs for corvinas in Peru.
Will give them a try on flounder here in Texas with some Gulp! minnows/grubs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: muddy22 Re: My first tied flies - 10/26/15
Spon, MAKE MORE!. Those look great for first time. I started about 60 years ago and my first didn't look too good but dumb ass Brook Trout didn't care. I'd make some with Chartruse (SP?) and white as well as some black and white for saltwater. Don't mix the white and other but layer the 2 colors. Also don't use too much crystal flash, yours look about right, take some waterproof markers to match the hatch if all you have is white bucktail and don't dress them too thick-slimmer is generally better. Good Luck!-Muddy
Posted By: local_dirt Re: My first tied flies - 10/26/15
Sponxx, those will definitely catch fish. muddy cast you some good info. If you're spinning, the top 3 will bring the hammer without additional hardware. Some scent can go a long way. The last pic with the brown skirt loosk pretty good. Light brown skirt with a little flash, light brown jig head, scent. Golden. Check Capt Hank Brown's stuff. Bangy dangy.

Good Luck!
LD
Posted By: Sponxx Re: My first tied flies - 10/27/15
Thankd for the tips... I wasn't sure there was enough buckhair, but they look balanced. Some look fat, because the ridges on the jighead fan the hair out.

I'll try some other colors. I have some pink craft fur now, so may layer hot pink/white. Good idea about the waterproof markers.
The naked hooks are for teasers on spoons, they are poison on corvinas.
Posted By: doubletap Re: My first tied flies - 10/30/15
Take a moment with a file to get rid of the ridges before tying.
© 24hourcampfire