Home
Posted By: Judman Fluorocarbon???... - 07/30/16
Old boy told me to start using it for salmon? Any believers? Pros? Cons? Thanks
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 07/31/16
I Can’t say I get more strikes, but I sure don’t get less.
It’s invisible in the water, the stuff just disappears. Trolling for trout in fresh water, I’ve gone to a much heavier leeder.
I used to use 6 lb mono, and if I got hung up in the rocks, I lost the lure almost every time.
( I have a bad habit of trollling through cover)
I started using 10 lb Floro, and saving most hang ups.
I’m going to try 15 lb for my heavier rigs.
I started with Berkley “Vanish”, but had problems with knots.
Someone here recommended Seagar, it more expensive, but much better all around.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/03/16
I like the fluoro as a leader material when using braid but using straight fluoro on a spinning reel just plain sucks - at least when it is new. It is stiff, doesn't cast all that well and is prone to wind knots etc. I will say that the stuff is pretty tough and is basically invisible under water though.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/03/16
Never used it in fresh water, but I am using a 15lb leader in the salt on the Gulf of Mexico, both surf and bayside.
Not sure if I am getting more or less hits, but it is stiffer than mono and has less abrasion than braid.

Some people swear by it, I don't think it is magic, but don't have anything bad to say about it and does allow a thicker leader for rough cover, so at least it is a plus.
Posted By: Judman Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/03/16
Cool thanks guys. Figure I'd try it for leader on salt salmon. Later
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/05/16
tip: carry alchol swabs and clean your Fluorocarbon leaders each time you put out a bait. they get dirty from handling, oil/dirt from your hands and become more visible.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/05/16
We tried it one day trolling for Salmon. Same lure and test using Flo and and regular mono. Didn't seem to make any difference to them. It does to Bass in clear water and use mostly Seagar except for top water.
Posted By: Skeezix Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/08/16
I used Fluoro (Seagar brand) in 4 lb and 6 lb on my spinning rigs while sight casting to smallmouth bass in the aquarium-clear waters in Quetico Provincial Park in Canada. It really is aggravating in a spinning reel when new, but I had broken it in first walleye and crappie fishing in Missouri and Alabama. I tried one of my favorite Berkley standard monos in a clear color, and I was definitely more successful with the fluoro in Canada. In MO and AL, where the water is quite a bit more dingy, I couldn't tell any difference in success, EXCEPT, I lost less lures. It's definitely tougher than regular mono.

Have a step-son that's a flats fisherman in coastal FL and he swears by the fluoro.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/09/16
I have been using Seagar floro material for leaders as long as I can remember. I also use it for the butt section and bite tippets on flyline leaders. I dont fish for salmon as I am in Southwest florida. Not sure I have fished with anyone down here in 15 years that didnt use a florocarbon leader.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/18/16
The heavier Seagaur stuff is not very good. It has terrible knot strength. Just got off a 3 day off-shore trip. Captain basically told us that he would rather see us use straight mono than a Seaguar leader. Several used it anyway and they broke off at the knots with every hook-up. I used Yo-zuri and had no problems. We did use some double leaders on Bluefins and that held up fine. The single leaders all broke.
Posted By: fishnut Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/30/16
In the clear water of Lake Powell, when using bait for stripers, a floro leader will increase bites by 3-1 for sure.Most everyone who compares the two will tell you the same thing.As stated by others, its not always the answer but there are times it is better.
Posted By: kingston Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/30/16
I tie fluorocarbon leader in front of braid with an FG knot. It'll cast right through the guides.

I use Yo Zuri pink and the German made Ande Fluorocarbon. A buddy swears by Seaguar, but in lighter weights <50. I use Ande up to 100.
Posted By: kingston Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/30/16
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
The heavier Seagaur stuff is not very good. It has terrible knot strength. Just got off a 3 day off-shore trip. Captain basically told us that he would rather see us use straight mono than a Seaguar leader. Several used it anyway and they broke off at the knots with every hook-up. I used Yo-zuri and had no problems. We did use some double leaders on Bluefins and that held up fine. The single leaders all broke.

What knot(s) on which weight Seaguar were failing? Knot selection on the big stuff is a bitch.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 08/31/16
[Linked Image]

BS on the knot strength I have not had a knot fail and catch tons of salmon every year
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Fluorocarbon???... - 09/05/16
Originally Posted by strosfann
I like the fluoro as a leader material when using braid but using straight fluoro on a spinning reel just plain sucks - at least when it is new. It is stiff, doesn't cast all that well and is prone to wind knots etc. I will say that the stuff is pretty tough and is basically invisible under water though.

Ditto on this. I use braid and then fluoro for leader. Fluoro is definitely tough stuff. I used to not believe line that thin and in a low lb/test would work as a good leader material. Proved me wrong. I only revert to mono for leader when I want more stretch.

And as Dan pointed out, Seaguar is really tough stuff. You get what you pay for.
© 24hourcampfire