24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I envy Karl. Would love to have his job, working out of my own house with my own shop and all. He has a nice set-up. Too bad I don't have his skills.....

Poor guy's too busy to get any shootin' in, though.....

BP-B2

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got it good for sure it sounds like, but he is definitely busy, Might have to drive up there one day and hand deliver one of my next two, I just cant wait to get the one he has back. I am sure he will squeeze in a little huntin time.

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He don't have to go far to do it. Right out his back door would work. He lives in big buck country. You'd be highly impressed with the whitetails mounted on his wall......

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to come up there just to see something different than Texas, I dont get out the state too much and have never been up North, so I can see a road trip in the future just to get away and see that part of the country if nothing else. I have a buddy that is a taxidermist that works out his back door as well and we hang out over there a bs about hunting every day it is another job that would be great if I had the skills for it.

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a carpenter, and I have a pretty nice set-up in my garage. I love it when I'm able to work right here in my little "shop".....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still waiting to hear the scoop!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Still waiting to hear the scoop!!

300MAG: What clearances does your Predator action have? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Al,

I am not a gunsmith so I have no idea?? I don't have the action either, it is at LSR - he is making the rifle for me.

I am just curious to see what Mr. Stiller has to say about some of these comments on here.

I just couldn't believe that a custom action was only as square as a factory 700??

This is my first custom being built, and I wanted the best I could get with my budget, so I have some concerns now - thats all - Not stirring the pot, just concerned!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Al,

I am not a gunsmith so I have no idea?? I don't have the action either, it is at LSR - he is making the rifle for me.

I just couldn't believe that a custom action was only as square as a factory 700??

This is my first custom being built, and I wanted the best I could get with my budget, so I have some concerns now - thats all - Not stirring the pot, just concerned!!!!

Why not simply have your 'smith check your action and then you'll know for sure? confused

We use some short, precision ground tool steel round slugs in .0005 (half thousandths) increments to check the reciever i.d. Just check for fit in the reciever at the front and rear bearing sufaces, then mic. the bolt body at the same place and you have your bolt/reciever clearance. Takes about 5 minutes. And checking the reciever face and bolt face for squareness takes all of about 10 minutes time.

So, in about 15 minutes time you'll know where your at with your reciever.

Which, to me, seems like a better situation than getting people all worked up over what's probably a non-issue with a good product from a fine company. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Man, I am gone a week and all hell breaks loose. I am not sure where the Predator having looser tolerances than a Remington came from, but I can insure you that is not the case. The bolt to raceway fit should be .0035 to .0055. Unless someone has buffed off the armoloy or done something to an action, .010 should never occur. IF that is the case and it is unaltered, I will take care of it. Maybe the wire cut oversize or something and it wasnt caught, but that should never happen. As for the TOLERANCES, they are basically the same as the benchrest action. That does not mean the CLEARANCES are though. Different thing all together. The Predator has more bolt clearance on purpose. That way a little grit wont cause bolt lockup or galling. As for square, the boltface is in the .0002 perpendicularity as is the front of the action to its bolt hole. The headspace is usually within .001, but may go to .002. The Predator is a very good action and built the same way our benchrest series actions are. It has the added feature of the anti-bind rail to make it smoother crossing the port the with the bolt clearances that it has, a feature that not many of my competitors have. I could build the bolt with a .001 clearance like our benchrest actions have or some of my competitors. When you are looking down the scope at that big royal elk and get a piece of grit or leaf in the bolt and miss the shot, you would probably be really cussing me though. In all the actions we have built into rifles, we havent really seen any difference in accuracy with bolt fits in the .006 or less range. The tighter fits on the benchrest actions make them smoother etc, but may or may not really help accuracy. I had to admit it, but some of the best shooting guns I have seen on the line at a benchrest match may be an old worn out Panda with more bolt clearance then anyone cares to admit to. That being said, I still prefer you buy a Viper over a Panda wink

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Question, meet Answer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply Mr. Stiller!!

I bought your Predator action because I am having Chris Mathews build me a hunting rifle - the clearances are a little more forgiving, but still have tight manufacturing tolerances-seems like you posted what I wanted to hear!!

As far a being less square than a Rem 700 - you'll have to ask the poster - he may have an action or two that needs to come back you??

Last edited by 300MAG; 07/31/07.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jerry,

Thanks for getting back with us. I had a feeling this action wasn't within your specs. This action has definitely not been altered, so I'll give you a call tomorrow and we can go from there.

Karl

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got some positive things outta this thread.

#1 - My concerns are gone on my build - I won't be insane now

#2 - Mr. Kampfeld will be getting a new action that is in spec

#3 - Everyone seen what a stand-up guy Mr. Stiller is-
stands strong behind his products

All is good!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 07/31/07.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I won't say it well yes I will --- Told Ya So!! Jerry is good troops and builds all of my stuff except for the old pre 64's!!!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well since this is my action, I don't really see as to where anyone else has a dog in the fight! If you have a bad one, I'm sure the guys at Stiller Precision will make good.. It's a good action....but it seems I got a lemon! $hit happens... Nothing wrong with curiosity though.

I got off the phone with Mr. Feldkamp only minutes before Mr. Stiller posted.. That being said I've had no worries from the start of this thread...hard to when you think about the reputations involved! I have full confidence that I will not lose any time on this build no matter the solution!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Interesting thread.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Talked to Jerry this morning and will be going over to his shop to pick up the new Super Predator action. The first run is just about complete and mine is ready! 338 Lapua AI is next on the list the Screwbean stock blank and Krieger barrel are already at home!

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There is a group buy for the Predator on the Hide going on.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks---I will check it out. USO does stuff with the Hide as well. Is the action the TAC338? If it is then it is different -- mine is just plain stainless a Predator Extreme or Super Predator is what Jerry decided to name them I think.

NRA Life Member
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
211 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 33 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,240
Posts18,371,402
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.