Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would say Dogzapper knows a thing or two about rifle blowups. The man still has the steel in his body IIRC. Perhaps he will chime in.

MtnHtr

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remain both lucky and thankful that my education re the matter has come from examining the results of others' misfortunes.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My prayers are with the young man and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Now where anywhere in the news does it name the manufacture of the rifle, it's age, or any of the factors causing the catastrophic failure.

If you want to throw a manufacturer in the mix how about an Eddie Stone Action as they do have a proven track record of catastrophic failures due to microscopic fractures in the action that can not be detected unless the action has been magnafluxed. Some of these actions are quite brittle and you have no way of knowing it unless they've been magnafluxed or they have a catastrophic failure.

Another thought is had he dropped the rifle before discharging it getting some sort of obstruction in the barrel. That could have caused the failure as well.

There are too many scenarios

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by twodogs
I lost track somewhere along the line here.

Has anyone actually identified the make of rifle in this blowup or did it just evolve into a Weatherby beat down through osmosis?

The way I follow this is that a Glock magnumb rifle blew up, and some here are pizzed that it wasn't a "High Power" rifle...

Did that explain the thread??? crazy

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually of the many catastrophic failures I have seen in my smith's shop and many times that on the web, the only two that involve a bolt being jetted straight back and into the shooter's face involved W so I mused as to the chance that such was the case here. Things progressed from there.
I certainly hope the best for the shooter regardless of what action or why.

Last edited by FVA; 11/25/07.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ditto

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Recieved this from a 24hr member a couple years back;

This would not only ruin your day but most likely make you wet yourself too! Lucky it wasn't much worse.
Go to:
http://www.weatherbycollectors.com/
click on "News" and check out the "Weatherby Wreck".

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
I would say Dogzapper knows a thing or two about rifle blowups. The man still has the steel in his body IIRC. Perhaps he will chime in.

MtnHtr

That is like saying I know about ballistics because I have lead in my arse. grin

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by magnumb
Perhaps you and I can get a corporate rate....."The_Real_Hawkeye".....geeeez....that's lucid thinking.

I take YOUR suggestion about lookin' up a word, I do the homework and get back to you as requested, I put it into context.....you lose your grip.........what?

At the end of our counseling session, you might ask for a little anger management help on the side. Becoming angry and spitting forth accusations, such as you have resorted to, does very little to resolve any issues.

Anyone can review our "discussions" here, starting with the end of the thread you noted/linked above, and plainly see that the name calling and accusations began with you......not me......you.

It is not worth the effort, nor worth anyone else's time to continue in this vain, but true to form as I'm sure that you just can't help yourself, I fully expect that you must have the last word.......another failing which is not as desirable as you might think.

I'm telling you, man, these days, they can do wonders with the psychotropics. Trust me. Seek help.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by twodogs
I lost track somewhere along the line here.

Has anyone actually identified the make of rifle in this blowup or did it just evolve into a Weatherby beat down through osmosis?

The way I follow this is that a Glock magnumb rifle blew up, and some here are pizzed that it wasn't a "High Power" rifle...

Did that explain the thread??? crazy
I think that sums it up just about right.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You haven't added anything to the discussion, why do you feel the need to keep comming back?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
You haven't added anything to the discussion, why do you feel the need to keep comming back?
Actually, AJ, you will notice that my first posts related directly to the topic. It was Magnumb that felt insults were needed to spice up this thread. I merely responded in kind.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Matt
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.....1......BINGO!! Just as I had predicted.....you just had to have the last word. You never fail to disappoint.

Take AJ's thoughtful and nicely worded suggestion....or perhaps that's lost on you as well.

Just let the real thread continue as requested......

Last edited by magnumb; 11/25/07.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by msj348

Thanks for the link. Sounds like the shooter is in a bad way.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My best wishes for the hunter involved in this unfortunate incident. It sounds like a real tragedy.

I have a question about the following quote.
My cousin has an Eddystone 06 he has refused to shoot for the last twenty five years because he also has heard this old rumor. But I thought it was a myth. I thought all of the Eddystone actions were of superlative strength.

I know of the heat treating problem which was prevalent with low numbered Springfield 03 actions.

Originally Posted by W7ACT
My prayers are with the young man and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Now where anywhere in the news does it name the manufacture of the rifle, it's age, or any of the factors causing the catastrophic failure.

If you want to throw a manufacturer in the mix how about an Eddie Stone Action as they do have a proven track record of catastrophic failures due to microscopic fractures in the action that can not be detected unless the action has been magnafluxed. Some of these actions are quite brittle and you have no way of knowing it unless they've been magnafluxed or they have a catastrophic failure.

Another thought is had he dropped the rifle before discharging it getting some sort of obstruction in the barrel. That could have caused the failure as well.

There are too many scenarios

So, what are the facts concerning the Eddystone actions?????

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by magnumb
.....1......BINGO!! Just as I had predicted.....you just had to have the last word. You never fail to disappoint.

Take AJ's thoughtful and nicely worded suggestion....or perhaps that's lost on you as well.

Just let the real thread continue as requested......

I'd be embarrassed for you, but you likely don't even realize what a clown you are. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Campfire badinage � the ultimate unending badminton!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho Shooter

As far as I'm concerned it's no rumor as I got my information concerning Eddystone actions from a very trusted and internationally known Gunsmith who is a perfectionest in every sense of the word. I've been in his home a number of times and when he heard that I had an '06 in an eddystone action he recommended that I devest myself of it. His statement regarding these actions was in the manufacturing process a number of these actions there was a flaw in the blending of the medals used in these actions and in the heat treating process and as a result the metal had crystalized leaving small fractures in these actions which can cause a catastrophic failure of these actions. He also said you could probably get away shooting with the one of the actions and they would never fail but there is no way of knowing for sure unless you were to have the action magnafluxed and in his words why go to the added expense as there are to many other good actions out there so why take the chance of having one blow up on you. He broke out one of his gunsmithing manuals and read me the information that was published on these actions so I followed his advise and got rid of the rifle.

The Gunsmith's name is Eugene G.(Ted) Buckland and I have known him for over thirty years. You need to see some of his work it is immaculate and anything he touches is absolutely pristine. I know he also has an antique & Classic Car collection which is out of this world, most of them are European Classics including one 1920's two seat Indy Racer that he has restored from the ground up....

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having blown up more than my share of guns, I can attest to the fact that it is extremely hard to bring a rifle to your face in the act of shooting, and not think about it blowing up...again.

Some people have seen the result of blown up guns, but let me tell you it isn't anything like holding what's left after the blast.

You can find all kinds of experts that armchair-analyze what went wrong, all I know is that you can be assured, SOMETHING went wrong.

There is always speculation on which action is weak, or which ammunition was too strong. I have always heard that a Winchester 1876 action is not strong at all, and that is what blew up on me.

When the gun blew, I was holding the gun with my left hand under the action with my elbow against my side for support. The magazine tube was blown into a "C" shape and opened on the seam. The barrel was completely blown off and the forearm was in splinters. The weak old '76 action held with all that exploding.

I didn't even have so much as a bruise, but the gun was in pieces, and alot of them. It also happens that a round in the magazine detonated at the same time increasing the opportunity for disaster.

I was able to trace the reason to ammunition and to this day I thank God no one was hurt. This fellow was not so lucky, hopefully he will recover from his mishap.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.