Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Laffin'....

my Everything Bigger Than A Deer Rifle.

1:10 22" Douglas, Rem 700, Cerekoted with Sniper Gray and treated with Ultra Bore Coat on all the internals....

Leupy 3X9 with ele turret, BC caps, mounted in Talley LW's...

Kevlar Mountain, routed out for BDL configuration, bedded, floated, and gray tinted Marine Tex "sponge" texture plus double clear coat.

Load is a 168 TSX over RL19 in Lapua hulls...2995 fps.

Shoots to 1/2 MOA out to 500 yards off pods and a back pack.

All up it weighs "light".

It ain't your Average Savage................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back when I was running an 06 and 165's I ran R19, how much you running in it (I would guess somewhere between 61 and 63?)?

Nice rig by the way!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that will Hunt!!!

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rig!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks great!! Nice rig!

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." Luke 11:21
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle and I really like the picture.

Terry

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
59.4 grains, but my Chrono is a POS.

I work up with the system Dan Newberry calls OCW. At 300 yards 59.0 and 59.8 grains all fall into the same POI. 58.6 and 60.2 are very close. All five charge weights are very 1/2 MOAish....

59.4 swaps with 168 Hornady Match and runs about 3/4 MOA.

I can like it....

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
It started life as a too glossy BDL .270 win back in 1985....and has put much in the freezer since then.

It's now fairly Campfire-ish though.

Blame the turrets and Talleys squarely on Stick...the bastid.

It's always worn some kind of Leupy, except once, shame on me...it had a 2x7 Nikon on it.

The Douglas and the '06 chambering is totally my fault, and I take full blame for the dang thing only doing 1/2 MOA. My local 'smith did a helluva good job chambering it.

Doug Burche did the Ceracoat and the UBC a while back...

Every son of a gun stick builder on here is to blame for the McM, and I got it from Raghorn on the classifieds...

Blame the Marine Tex on the 'Fire as well.

The finish is only partly Karnis' fault as it's his TSX sponge method. I didn't paint this one and chose instead to tint the gray Marine Tex (that stuff is not gray, it's black) with white epoxy.

The glass to spot game needin' killin' came from Cameraland, and the LRF with which to crank turrets came from Coyote Wallace.

Thanks guys, there's a small fortune layin' in that creek...grins.

I'm diggin' it tho', and can't wait for fall Bear Season......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rig.. Have you tested it to see if it will float also.. Looks like it would make a halibut rifle..

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
It might....grins.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by wildswalker
It started life as a too glossy BDL .270 win back in 1985....and has put much in the freezer since then.

It's now fairly Campfire-ish though.

Blame the turrets and Talleys squarely on Stick...the bastid.

It's always worn some kind of Leupy, except once, shame on me...it had a 2x7 Nikon on it.

The Douglas and the '06 chambering is totally my fault, and I take full blame for the dang thing only doing 1/2 MOA. My local 'smith did a helluva good job chambering it.

Doug Burche did the Ceracoat and the UBC a while back...

Every son of a gun stick builder on here is to blame for the McM, and I got it from Raghorn on the classifieds...

Blame the Marine Tex on the 'Fire as well.

The finish is only partly Karnis' fault as it's his TSX sponge method. I didn't paint this one and chose instead to tint the gray Marine Tex (that stuff is not gray, it's black) with white epoxy.

The glass to spot game needin' killin' came from Cameraland, and the LRF with which to crank turrets came from Coyote Wallace.

Thanks guys, there's a small fortune layin' in that creek...grins.

I'm diggin' it tho', and can't wait for fall Bear Season......

If that part be true, then in came from coyotewallace and from me, as it were mine prior to his.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Roy,

Excellent rifle, and picture too.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very nice, I like the picture. Kinda like the gun rags on the store's magazine rack.........

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a great looking rig there, enjoy!

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep, it was yours first, you got it new from Doug IIRC, and you put me onto it with Coyote....thanks much.

Good Gear........

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yep, that'd have been the line.....

Done replaced it in-house, as good schit sells itself, and if you part with it, you soon replace it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Did you get pissed when you dropped your gear in the creek, LOL. Cool pic. Could you post some more pics of the texture of the stock? I do beleive I am going that route with a Banser I am finshing up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Some very nice equipment.
Nice photo
HD

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Been asked for a closeup of the finish, and method/material used on the 30-06......

Stock was sanded down which removed the paint and texture that it came to me with. This stock had been ridden pretty hard and had a few gouges and scratches to be fixed. The original plan was to just paint it but after doing the routing work for the bottom metal, ADL to BDL, it was apparent that some depth was needed for the height of the mag box to work properly without binding the action, so I built up the area with Marine Tex. That left me no choice but to redo a texture on it. After "bedding" in the bottom metal, which was after bedding the action and floating the barrel, I washed the stock down with rubbing alcohol, and applied a thin coat of Marine Tex using a notched trowel. The Marine Tex used was the gray version, which is almost black right out of the can. Being too dark for my liking, I tinted it down to the gray color it is now with white 2 part epoxy.

After troweling it on I used the sponge out of a TSX box to "dab and pull" the entire wet stock. On the first go round, the Marine Tex started to cure and from butt to forend didn't match in texture. So after it cured completely, I resanded it a bit and devised a plan to get it all done a little quicker. After mixing enough tinted Marine Tex the second time, I put it in the freezer for a few minutes to get it cold and slow down it's cure rate. This allowed me to get it all on evenly, or at least to my satisfaction, and sponge it out with all the same texture.

After it cured out the second time, I took some 000 steel wool and a piece of brillo pad and knocked down the sharp points to give it the smooth bumpy feel it now has. Then, after a good washing with rubbing alcohol, I sprayed two coats of Matte Clear Coat by Rustoleum. The whole thing is a very tough finish that should last for a long time.

It took about an hour or so to coat it and texture it the second time. The second coat of Matte Clear was sprayed on while the first coat was still a little tacky. The Marine Tex will be my choice again for bedding and texturing. It looks a little glossy in the pic because the strong light in my reloading room is shining directly on it for a good picture. In natural light it's quite non glossy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's been several years since I abandoned 'Shooters' (or something like that) for the 'Campfire, and many threads. I think this is the first one with a pic of a rifle in a crick. Kudos on that! As for the rifle, not bad either.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.