Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Does anyone know where I can find some old DPMS VLD magazines.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dont' know if what Ih ave is DPMS, but you mean the ones that went single stack? If so I have 4 somewhere but we are packed such that I may not find them for some amount of time. But if interested in a couple, PM me every so often, IE every 3 months or so.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
rost495

Those are the ones, re-configured to allow for longer bullet seating depth. Thank you and I will check with you in a couple of months.

C
C
I have several also. They require some other parts too, which I also have. They don't work worth a hoot. eMail me or PM me also every once in awhile.

CDD

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've actually seen folks use them, and when its all correct, it works fine. Of course if you have a correct chamber cut you can run bullets seated deep with no issues. I used to run 70 jlks at mag length for 300 yard events and had no problems.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The DPMS "VLD Mags", were originally manufactured by Long Range Products and known as LRP mags. I can vouch for the LRP's working, but I've not heard anyone successful once the design was sold to DPMS. 75 Hornady's and 77 Sierra's narrowed the gap for shooting 80's out of a magazine and the concept lost interest in the Highpower community.

Hey Jeff, tell 'em about your adventures shooting 75 Amax's out of the mag...and the "front cut mags" that got you a mention in Feamster's book!!

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/13/09.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, well I was letting that go...anyway after I played with 70 jlks at 2.250 I figured out this way to cut the front of the mag as an open slot to gain a bit of length, John Feamster has that in his book Black Magic. I ran 75 jlks as long as I could, such that they wouldn't scrape the front of the mag well and still function in rapid fire. Shot some pretty decent scores along the way and then came better bullets like Chris mentions so I gave that up.

But when 75 amax came out they shot so well in decent wind conditions at 600(they got blown around more than an 80 jlk in windy matches though so they were relegated to 300 reduced) that I was using them at 300 reduced and shooting little bugholes (well as close as you can get to that with irons) on the 300 yard target. It was a matter of X count not if I'd shoot a 200. The 200(perfect score all in the 10 ring or better) was a given. THen I decided to seat a 75 amax to 2.250. A real FUGLY beast, gap around the neck and so on. I started way back on powder just for grins. YOu have to understand that in my sport the worst place to loose the match was 300 yards and every bit you got helped with wind guesses. It was 10 rounds downrange with no sighters in 70 seconds with a mag change. Anyway amazingly enough I got them to shoot really good.

Then I was on our state rifle team to the nationals every year along with my wife. They started wanting folks to shoot the same ammo etc.... I complained I had this really good load and so on, and what they wanted to shoot really sucked in the wind. They allowed it at that point and the coach about had a fit when he saw my short 75 amax(that were shooting appx 1-1.25 inches for 10 shots at 300). I laid down for my string... Fired the first 2 and he comes running up after seeing them in the scope while I"m changing mags and says snake eyes, shoot it right there, meaning they were almost touching and in the middle. As I fired the next 8 I had one slightly high and one slightly 7 oclock call. I finished and he comes up and says you dropped 2. I says yes, one at 12 and one at 7 but probably really close to the line. He is taken back that I'd called them spot on. They were out of the X ring about half an inch on call. And when he said dropped, that usually means 9s, he meant 10s, lets just say 100-8x is the highest I've ever seen a shooter shoot in that stage on our team. Though I've seen a Marine shoot a 9x-100, but it gets most folks attention to see a 6 or 7X at 300.

The AR is SO versatile!! But I still love my M14s...

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.