Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've read a review about the SR-2 rifle from pfeifer in the last release of "chasse & nature" (our hunters' association's magazine)

Very interesting and amazing piece of gunsmithing art.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some "black evil version" for sport shooters.

[Linked Image]

Very compact rifle, despite full length barrel, with the butt of the stock used as a lock and spare magazine.

http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/cms/html/index.php

I've found datas about two other compact hunting rifles on the Internet: the Sommer & Ockenfuss (no longer in production, as it seems)

[Linked Image]

and the French "Crapahute" from "Gex" Gunsmithing.

[Linked Image]

Any rifle like this around American hunting grounds ? Any comments about them ?

Seems a great idea to keep a 25 + inches on a 27 inches long rifle.

NB Pictures found on the French forum sangliers.net and Pfeifer's gunsmith website.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 03/22/09.

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Found some information and other pictures here: http://www.snipersystems.co.uk/id7.html

[Linked Image]

Va t'in tch�re !
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
On the last rifle with the green stock. Does the shooter still have to manipulate the safety at the rear of the bolt prior to shooting, or is there another mechanism in the area of the trigger?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know.

I know some owners of that rifle on the French forum and it seems they wouldn't change it for anything.

It is mostly a stalking rifle but some use it for driven hunts too.

The "crapahute" is made from K98 and Krico actions.

The Pfeifer "safety rifle" is based upon a very different and innovative concept. No bolt action of any kind, but it is basically a single shot rifle with two spare rounds in the butt stock, under the chamber.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think I want the muzzle of a big rifle that close to my ear, thanks.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
From looking at the rifles, I think any gain in compactness might be mooted by clumsiness in operation. Having to reach backward to operate the bolt, particularly for a long action cartridge, would require a bit more contortion that I'm used to grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
all types of rifles will explode at some point and some time for various reasons, it may be rare but it does happen. why in the world would anyone want to rest their cheek on the action rail of a mauser upon firing!?!?!? you have got to be crazy, you face is sitting directly above a violent explosion you hope is contained by the metal of the gun, I saw a guy carted off in an ambulance after a bull pup blew up on him a while back at the range, their was blood all over the place.

another problem with the green stocked rifle in the pic below is the scope is what like 4" above the barrel centerline, this means if you site in at 100 or 200 yards your are gonna be pretty low on a close in say 25 yard shot, also if you mount some sling swivels, us americans do have to have a sling on our rifles, the gun barrel will be bouncing around pointed directly at your head most of the time, thats a great situation for carrying the rifle through think sage brush and cedar trees, especially with an afro american engineered linkage that goes to the orginal rear trigger area, basically those guns are a safety disaster, if you wanna save some length just get a single shot

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 03/22/09.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

+1000

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

+1000

+1001 It would be quite interesting with a muzzle brake on it. cry

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....Seems like a poor idea taken to it's worst extreme. "LOUD", Awkward, difficult to get a fine trigger tuned out,dangerous by several times over in the case of gas breech, or explosion, when compared with conventional designs. As an auto loader, with smaller cartridges, it could work well in military application, but as a hunting piece, you can keep my share.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for your comments.

Nothing to say about the safety in case of action blow up. So that's probably an optimist shooter's rifle.

About the sound, the tester of the pfeifer (despite the fact he tried a version with a muzzle break that considerably reduces recoil but enhances sound) and the users of the crapahute on the French forum claim they have no problems with it on the field, and use it without ear protection.

The pfeifer can also be equipped with a sound suppressor/ silencer.

But it is very true the muzzle is quite close to the shooter. The tester of the Pfeifer explained that he had to be carfeul in positioning his left hand ... Too close to the tip of the wood part he could be burned with hot gaz from the muzzle break.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like a lot fiddling around to get a follow up shot ready

Grand v I was just thinking about you the other day. I had just noticed you hadn't posted in a bit. Good to see you around.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Some thing about having the action next to your face when you shoot,turns me off.I like my ugly mug the way it is!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Right. I had lots of work at the office, especially thanks to the financial crisis, hunting season was quite poor 'til the very last days of it and I eventuelly moved to a new house where I had no Internet connection (there is still a big hole on front of it waiting for the "return of the phone company jedi" ... )

I'm glad to be here again ... read about your experiences in NA and around the world, and share with you about hunting.

I had a very interesting last day in the driven hunt big game season. I plan to write something about it 'cause it was quite a typical traditional hunt as we perform around here.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GV, I'd love the read about it. I'm sure its quite a bit different than hunting in NW Montana.

That reminds me though, there is a guy in my area that converts Remington 760's and 7600s into Bullpups. Neat idea, but I don't have use for one.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Grand Veneur,

The inventor of the french Crapahute died not long time ago. Called Mr Gex he was a gunsmith not far from the Mont Blanc (french Alps), in Sallanche. He conceived this rifle for easy carry when climbing in the pursuit of chamoix. As you told before the guys who use them have no complain. For the Pfeifer i have one to test at this moment, very interesting and very very accurate rifle. The brake is effective and not so noisy for such a thing, less than a french Supradax or a Marlin guide one. It was mounted to pass french laws about overall lengh for rifles
[Linked Image]

This picture of the Pfeifer was taken friday during test, the 9 at 9 o'clock is the first shot (oily barrel or jerked trigger i don't know) the group of 4 was shot at 150m with french GPA monometallic bullets the scope was regulated with....The caliber is 7x64 Brenneke, recoil is light. The only difficulty is to find a good bench position with such a rifle.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butt ugly, but if it works, have at it. Sort of like my definition of ergonomic. Looks like something, I've never seen before.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very interesting, Marseille, and nice group too, peuch�re wink.

That rifle has the right barrel length to push the old 7x64 to its best, as it seems.

Thanks for posting.

I didn't mention the "meaning" of the name of the rifle: SR for safety rifle. It comes from the integrated lock that would prevent any illegal use of the gun and from the cocking device: the chamber can be loaded without the mechanism being cocked when you are not about to fire the rifle (usual device on blaser, krieghoff, strasser, ... rifles).

Marseille, how did you feel the scope height ? And what do you think about the action's safety ?

Why the hell do you think they used that little "button" instead of some trigger shaped mechanism ?

Last edited by grand_veneur; 03/23/09.

Va t'in tch�re !
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Grand Veneur,

About the scope height i ain't got problem cause the mounts are not to high thank to a 42mm lens bell on this Swaro, the cocking lever need some force to arm the rifle and it's good for savety. Its impossible to cock the Pfeifer even dropping it. That lever form will be changed for the french market in the form of an inversed trigger. The button is really easy to get used to. The let off is very good, no creep, no over travel. I was very well surprise. The gun is easy to control and master, never mind the chamber close to my cheek i used Famas and Steyr Aug in an other life. The construction is, how can i said? Germanic, strong with lot of safety. The shoulder butt/bolt seem strong enough and when it's close it's close but i must agree that even i'm handloader i'll prefer to stay by well known factory cartridges. I was told that even in 300Winch mag they are easy to shoot and there is a sporting version coming.
Some people are objecting the risk of pierced primers and so on but i'm 51 and began to shoot with my father at age of 6, reload at 9; the only one time i got pierced primer was when i was trying to transform an 7x64 in 7mm Weatherby. My and only fault. So even if it's not a best seller as a 7400Remy they are some in service for years now without any complain. Maybe i will ask for one in 338Whisper if possible to use with or without a moderator....
Nice country between Sambre et Meuse!!
Dominique

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dominique V ?

Va t'in tch�re !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.