Print Thread
Hop To
M
MikeCT Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey boys and gals

My first post here.
I have a Russian Baikal sxs 20ga model mp220 shotgun.
I have 4 chokes to it also.
My question is.
If I wanted to hunt deer with it, can I shoot some kind of slugs
in the smooth bore with/without the chokes? What kind of slugs? Names and sources please. Or does the barrels need to be rifled? I know some slugs are rifled. My max range is about 60yards thick brush.

All help greatly appeeciated.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I would just buy a box of 20 ga slugs of the first popular brand that you find.

Shoot them without your chokes on a target and see where they hit.

If that box does not shoot well then buy another brand.

Also check the CT state laws that what your using is legal.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
M
MikeCT Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks. Shotguns for deer are legal. Just not on every state land. I checked with EAA about shooting slugs out of this sxs. They told me to use cylinder or improved cyl for slugs. I guess I better go with plain pipes.
Thanks for the info.
Mike

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Foster slugs, or "rifled" slugs, will work well in your smoothbore with open chokes, Cylinder or Improved Cyl. would be best for accuracy, but Modified may also work.
Don't bother with the sabot slugs, they are designed for use in rifled bores, or with rifled choke tubes, and don't give good accuracy with smoothbores.
Also don't shoot anything in your shotgun with no choke tube in place. It will probably ding up the threads so you won't be able to get a tube screwed into it again. And don't shoot slugs or heavy loads of large shot, like buckshot, out of a very tight choke, Full or tighter. It may bulge the barrel, and will probably seize the threads so you can't get the tube out.
A Sims LimbSaver recoil pad may make it more enjoyable to shoot slugs, especially at the range where you'll be shooting several.
You'll get fair accuracy, especially at 60 yards or less, using your bead, but for greatest accuracy, and longer ranges, get some rifle sights made to attach to the rib or barrel. Hi-Viz, Williams, and other companies make them, sold commonly at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, Sportsman's Warehouse, and other sporting goods stores, sometimes even at Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
I find best results with Winchester or Federal slugs in my guns. They usually come in a box of five, fairly inexpensive, so get a box each of several brands, and take them to the range to see which your particular gun prefers. Then load up on those.

Think direction first, then velocity.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.