24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 39 1 2 37 38 39
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
best not let the feds see this post heffalumps were put on the Endangered Species List 6 months ago.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Not to worry, I was really shooting at an Ivory Billed Woodpecker for our supper. Subsistence hunting, you know. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That .470,....

.....is the recoil, "Sharp".

looks pretty snappy / sporty.

Bullet weight / vel ?

Semper hard kickers

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I say recoil is closer to .375 H&H type shove than high velocity small bores (7mm Rem, 338 Win Mag, et al, depending on stock of course) type slap. A quick type shove, but not unbearable when held and shot correctly. Drop at the heel is probably a bit much and no doubt adds to the felt recoil.

It is indeed sporty and a sight to behold. Comes up and fits better than any other double I've had the pleasure to hold, although a Heym runs a very close second.

Had it double on me not long after I got it with the two shots sounding and feeling like one. Must have been holding it properly since I didn't know it had doubled, just that I didn't recall the recoil being that bad and that I should cut the powder charge in half. A trip to Merkel got it right with new hammers and trigger sears (all they said was "it had the old style so we changed them").

Bullets were 480 gr WFNGC from an Accurate Mold in front of 108 grs. RL-19 topped with Pufflon. Haven't clocked that load, but a 515 gr. WFNGC from LBT with all else the same runs 2,125 fps so the lighter bullets may run a tad faster.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you for an articulate response, Amigo !

Sounds like a fine recoil realm to play in.

I'm not a big fan of the whiplash, "Snap" of the mid-bores, either.

A friends .500 N.E. Merkel just AIMS where I point it, and with the load energies discussed is just FUN to shoot.

Sure wishing I could have made it over to this one.

Okay,.......I know about "the other" hand.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
That .470,....

.....is the recoil, "Sharp".

looks pretty snappy / sporty.

Bullet weight / vel ?

Semper hard kickers

GTC

From my perspective, it pushes you - hard, but it's not painful to shoot. It's a very fine rifle, and a privilege to shoot.

Gunner has a gorgeous .577 that is also a privilege to shoot, but it hurts crazy

edit to add - for Quemado, there will at least be my light .45-90, and a .458 #1. Maybe something bigger, too. smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 04/14/14. Reason: noted

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
did not shoot Davids 470ne, but watched everyone else shoot it , looked a little sporty,to me my .405 win. is about as big as i go, but then again i'm a pussy.rio7

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Rio that 405 is nice. I enjoyed shooting it! It's no slouch!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Having had the honor of putting four rounds downrange out of that piece of art, I can say that my .458WM kicks harder with full-house loads. Both rifles fit me very well.

I was anticipating much greater, sharper recoil than what I got and was gripping it much too hard on the first shot, causing me to get the shakes. It will get your attention, but is not abusive.

As to accuracy, that load David had would be good for just about anything that walks out to a couple hundred yards. It is much flatter shooting than I thought. Just ask Blue about the steel target frame that I hit. blush

Greg, you would have had a great time and I know there were several folks who asked when you were getting there as they were looking forward to meeting you.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"It is indeed sporty and a sight to behold. Comes up and fits better than any other double I've had the pleasure to hold, although a Heym runs a very close second."

I second that comment. I've not shot many double rifles, but have shot a Heym in 375. David's rifle just comes to my shoulder with the sights aligned perfectly. If I coulda seen the target, I think I'd a hit it. grin

The recoil is less than a 378 WBY in a bolt rifle, seemed to me.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
One last "Lost & Found" post;

We found a small folding table propped up against the fence behind the "Disciplinary Barracks" aka "The Brig", a set of electronic hearing protectors on the Little House porch, and two nylon spatulas that we can't figure out where they came from.

Any ideas?

Ed

Oh, and Blue, we forgot to retrieve your reactive pistol targets. I will get them in a box for you and mail them out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nylon spatulas---the black one is a gift to your family----
Forgot it and the dutch oven.
I'll get the dutch oven someday.
smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
ED, are you talking about the targets that were rolled up on the table ? yellow red and black?if so keep them, ive got a bunch of them, and you can use them somewhere.dont waste money on the mail. hope all is well with you, give Barbara a big hug for me, blue

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We found a small folding table propped up against the fence behind the "Disciplinary Barracks" aka "The Brig", a set of electronic hearing protectors on the Little House porch,

Ed, if the folding table was wooden and was scuffed up and marked on some, it is mine that I picked up at good will. If you can use it, it is yours, or throw it in and bring it along the next time we will meet. I had a pair of electronic hearing protectors that went missing, but as I quit wearing them and went back to my old ones, I don't want them back. They did not fit me very good so I lost track of them. If they are indeed mine, use them or give them away. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles - didn't know you had electronic hearing. What's that like?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 39 of 39 1 2 37 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.