Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
...Powell

It is a shame to have you in this state breathing good Texas air.

sambubba

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Says the guy who believes Ronald Reagan was the worst President we have ever had. Go Bush, right?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think that Ted was also taking a shot at the Trump personal attacks.

9/1/15 Texas Sen. Ted Cruz addressed a recent report that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) called him a "jackass" during a Colorado fundraiser, drawing a contrast between that remark and those he has made about another prominent Republican colleague.

In an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt on Monday, the Texas Republican and presidential candidate said that "there's far too much" of ad hominem attacks and name-calling among political figures. The Daily Caller quoted two attendees at the event who said that the Ohio lawmaker joked that Cruz's presidential campaign keeps "that jackass" out of Washington and away from telling him how to do his job.

"The speaker is entitled to express whatever views he likes, but I’m not going to respond in kind. And I think the American people are not remotely interested in a bunch of politicians in Washington bickering like schoolyard children. I think what they’re looking for is serious leaders who will address and provide real solutions to the very real problems we’re facing right now," Cruz told Hewitt.

Cruz made reference to a July fiery floor speech in which he accused Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) of lying to him after the Kentucky Republican added the reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank to the highway bill after assurances to the contrary.

"There is a difference between describing the facts and describing someone’s actions, and what occurred, and engaging in a personal attack. I gave, a couple of months ago, an unusual floor speech to be sure," Cruz remarked. "But I stood up and I said: Here are the commitments that the majority leader gave to me, personally, to every Republican senator, and to the American people, and his conduct today is directly contrary to those commitments that he made.
And that is quite different from engaging in the kind of personal attack and insults and profanity-laden assault that so many others engage in."

Hewitt opened the interview by asking Cruz if he could assume that Boehner would not be on his ticket if he becomes the GOP's presidential nominee.
"I think that is a fair inference," Cruz replied with a laugh.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...ner-jackass-comment-213209#ixzz3kUwbCvJr

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Or maybe just some friendly advice. He and Trump have their differences, but I think their common bound is the belief that the Washington establishment is evil.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ted Cruz: Democrats now control Congress

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz told reporters that Mitch McConnell was effectively no longer the Senate leader

Washington (CNN)—Ted Cruz deemed Harry Reid as the head of the Republican Senate on Tuesday.

Cruz told reporters after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell introduced a resolution to temporarily fund the government that he felt the Kentucky Republican was no longer the leader of the body where the GOP holds an eight-seat majority.

"The position of Republican leadership boils down to this: They will support 100% of the priorities of Democrats," said Cruz, a Republican who is running for president. "Today, the leader in the Senate is Harry Reid because Republican leadership has said nothing will pass without Harry Reid's support. Today, the leader is the House is Nancy Pelosi."

Senate leadership has frustrated Cruz's attempt to permanently defund Planned Parenthood, which is under attack for secretly taped, edited videos that have tarnished the women's health group, as part of current budget talks. Republican leaders have said they have no appetite for risking a Cruz-led shutdown that would defund the organization.

Cruz has made Republicans his foil just as often as he has Democrats -- often criticizing the "McConnell-Reid leadership team" -- but the Texas senator's blast is the latest signal that his fight with top Senate Republicans is intensifying as the Sept. 30 budget deadline approaches. Republicans said Tuesday that Cruz did not attend the conference's regular lunch.

Democrats and Republican legislators are at a budget logjam over whether to continue public funding to Planned Parenthood. The White House has said they will not sign a budget that cuts funding for the organization, which funds women's health services beyond abortions, but congressional Republicans have said that defunding the group remains a top priority. Republican leadership, nervous about the political ramifications of a shutdown, are frustrated by conservatives -- like Cruz -- who want to stare down Democrats.

Cruz has circulated a letter asking for his fellow senators to commit to defunding the group, which is under investigation but has denied any wrongdoing. Cruz wouldn't say Tuesday whether or not any of his colleagues had signed on in solidarity.

McConnell on Tuesday moved to bring up a bill to fund the government through Dec. 11, a measure that would bar money for Planned Parenthood. But Senate Democrats are expected to filibuster the plan Thursday, moments after Pope Francis addresses a joint session of Congress. Then McConnell plans to bring up a clean funding bill -- without restrictions on the women's health group -- soon after to avoid a shutdown on Oct. 1.

It remains unclear how deep the presidential candidate will dig in his heels. Cruz led a partial shutdown over Obamacare in October 2013, but he declined to answer a question about whether he would wage a talking filibuster to stymie the funding bill this time around. He said Tuesday that avoiding a shutdown "on its face, sounds reasonable."

Cruz nevertheless indicated that McConnell's plan wouldn't suffice, saying that a continuing resolution should eliminate all of the group's public funding and also force the White House to reveal the full details of the nuclear agreement reached with Iran.

"We should not be content with simple show votes, which is Republican leadership's favorite strategy." said Cruz. "My focus is on urging leadership to actually lead."

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ted Cruz: Republicans Love Him in Iowa, Loathe Him in D.C.

Gap in perception fuels Texas senator’s 2016 outsider strategy
Republican presidential candidate Sen.

Dec. 27, 2015 5:30 a.m. ET

Sen. Ted Cruz is getting rock-star treatment at his 2016 presidential-campaign events. In Iowa, the state he has visited more than any other, a recent poll found more Republicans viewed him favorably than any other GOP candidate.

Among his fellow senators, by contrast, he is one of the most disliked men in Washington. He has been called “wacko bird,” “jackass” and “false prophet.” And that came from Republicans.

The gap between his reputation in Washington and his reception among primary voters isn’t a paradox. It is central to his campaign strategy.

With the GOP electorate riddled with disdain for the political establishment, Mr. Cruz relishes his reputation as the bad boy of the Senate, where he has dragged his party into a government-shuttering budget fight and defied party leaders ever since arriving on Capitol Hill in 2013.

“When we launched our campaign, the New York Times promptly opined, ‘Cruz cannot win because the Washington elites despise him,’ ” he said in a video ad created by a super PAC supporting him. “I kinda thought that was the whole point of the campaign.”

Now that he is rising in national and state polls—including a first-place ranking in Iowa just five weeks ahead of that state’s caucuses—the Texas senator is coming under fresh scrutiny. A central question is whether voters will react with the enthusiasm of the grass-roots or the sour opinion of Senate colleagues.

The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that 82% of people who identify themselves as “very conservative” view him positively. Among swing voters, only 26% had positive feelings about him.

Former Sen. Bob Dole, the GOP’s 1996 presidential nominee, said he would have a hard time bringing himself to vote for Mr. Cruz. “I might oversleep that day,” Mr. Dole said recently on MSNBC. “It would be difficult.”

Cruz spokesman Rick Tyler said senators’ hostility to Mr. Cruz had no bearing on his prospects as a presidential candidate. “They hate him in the Senate because he’s not going to assimilate into their culture,” he said. “They don’t want change, and the voters do.”

Many of his supporters say they are baffled by his reputation in Washington. On the campaign trail, they see a man greeting voters, posing for photos, joking around and mimicking movie scenes for a laugh.

“People in Iowa have been able to spend a lot of time with the senator and have found him to be a humble and engaging man who just doesn’t take himself too seriously,” said Joel Kurtinitis, a Cruz supporter in Iowa.

That description is foreign to his Republican critics in Congress. Sen. John McCain, who called Mr. Cruz and his allies “wacko birds” in 2013, bridled last summer when the Texan accused Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of lying about a legislative matter. In the context of the sedate Senate, Mr. Cruz’s criticism was like shouting a profanity in a church sanctuary.

“I think he attacked Mitch McConnell because he thought it would help him,” Mr. McCain said. “It probably did.”

Many Republicans were infuriated by Mr. Cruz’s 2013 strategy of pushing a budget fight over health-care funding into a government shutdown. It catapulted Mr. Cruz into hero status among conservatives but undercut Republicans trying to build the party’s governing bona fides. He also urged House conservatives to defy then-House Speaker John Boehner, who last year called Mr. Cruz a “jackass” at a Colorado fundraiser.

“Part of his raising of his profile, a critical part, is not that he is the most conservative and able to accomplish the most. It is that he is conservative and everyone else is not,” said Josh Holmes, a former senior adviser to Mr. McConnell. “Which is untrue, and it shows colleagues he is not really interested in their shared goals.”

Mr. Cruz has sought to make light of the rap on him as arrogant and unapproachable.

“If you want someone to grab a beer with, I may not be that guy,” Mr. Cruz said at the third GOP presidential debate, in Colorado, when asked to describe one of his weaknesses. “But if you want someone to drive you home, I will get the job done.”

The hostility of his colleagues sometimes hampers Mr. Cruz in the Senate. When he tried to offer amendments on Planned Parenthood funding and the Iran nuclear deal this fall, colleagues refused to give the procedural go-ahead that is routinely granted as a matter of courtesy.

Mr. Cruz responded with a harsh critique of his party’s leaders.

“I will give President Obama and the Senate Democrats credit,” Mr. Cruz said. “They are willing to crawl over broken glass with a knife between their teeth to fight for [their] principles. Unfortunately, leadership on my side of the aisle does not demonstrate the same commitment.”

Mr. Cruz argues that his undiluted conservatism will be more successful than the tack-to-the-center campaigns of past presidential nominees such as Messrs. Dole and McCain. When Mr. Dole endorsed Jeb Bush for president in November, he returned the swipe.

“There are a lot of good candidates—I like nearly all of them,“ Mr. Dole said in an ABC interview in November. Then he whispered, “Except Cruz.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ted-cruz-republicans-love-him-in-iowa-loathe-him-in-d-c-1451212202

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Up...in case anybody thinks Cruz isn't steadfast.

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 67 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.