Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would certainly take the word of the author over some of the comments I've read on this thread.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
and who is the author again? at least he got this part right

"This is not a scientific study and proves nothing."

good gawd. one parts AR 15 vs. one modified mini 14, 5 shot groups, by an admittedly mediocre shot, irons and 50 yards...

I like the Mini 14 too, but it is what it is...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TC1
Interesting. Thanks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mini-14 or AR platform 5.56 NATO carbine: You can only have one: Which?

I'll stick with both.....and an AKM thrown in for good measure.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have two of each. I have one wood stocked mini that has been scoped for most of it's life and is actually one of the miracles if you believe internet hype. The other is a folding stocked gun that I've never put on paper, but it holds minute of clay pigeon at 50+ yards with irons. I've had no troubles with any of my mini's. (had another one that was reliable but shot poorly)
My AR's have never had a scope on either. One is irons & one has an Eotech. I have had a couple issues but nothing to get riled up at and pretty easy to correct so far.

I personally would take an AR just because of parts availability.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Mini-14 is a military-esque sporting rifle. It is NOT a military grade rifle, and one shouldn't consider it any sort of a battle rifle. Can it pull double duty as a defensive rifle, hell yes; and it can do it well. But it's not going to put up with heavy abuse. If you like the Mini platform and want an actual military grade rifle, then go with the M1 Carbine, or perhaps an SKS.

The AR is the true fighting rifle, but honestly very few actually NEED that.

The benefits of the Mini is how light and compact they are. OMG I wish someone made a copy of the original factory folder stock, because when folded up, the Mini could be tucked away quite handily. Another nice thing about the Mini-14 are Ruger factory magazines...it's everything the 30 AR magazine always wanted to be, but never was (straight, then curved; bad idea...they learned that with the M2 Carbine, but went ahead and did it again anyhow).

I like the Mini with the 20 rounder, it just kinda works.

But if you fancy yourself a fighting rifleman, you'll be much happier with the AR.

I personally just have too much faith in my M1 Carbine, it has been the more reliable firearm I've ever owned. The Carbine is a fantastic urban defense rifle. It will typically out-penetrate the 5.56 and if you use JHP ammo, it will put bad guys down with much more authority than a 5.56 FMJ. It's a damn effective little rifle. The US Military was giving very serious consideration to making the M1 Carbine our standard weapon just before the M16 was "suggested". In fact, I believe the Air Force actually did make it their official rifle a year or two before the M16 was adopted. They were trying to figure out if they would keep it in .30 Carbine or convert them to 5.7 Johnson.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The Mini-14 is a military-esque sporting rifle. It is NOT a military grade rifle, and one shouldn't consider it any sort of a battle rifle. Can it pull double duty as a defensive rifle, hell yes; and it can do it well. But it's not going to put up with heavy abuse. If you like the Mini platform and want an actual military grade rifle, then go with the M1 Carbine, or perhaps an SKS.

The AR is the true fighting rifle, but honestly very few actually NEED that.

The benefits of the Mini is how light and compact they are. OMG I wish someone made a copy of the original factory folder stock, because when folded up, the Mini could be tucked away quite handily. Another nice thing about the Mini-14 are Ruger factory magazines...it's everything the 30 AR magazine always wanted to be, but never was (straight, then curved; bad idea...they learned that with the M2 Carbine, but went ahead and did it again anyhow).

I like the Mini with the 20 rounder, it just kinda works.

But if you fancy yourself a fighting rifleman, you'll be much happier with the AR.

I personally just have too much faith in my M1 Carbine, it has been the more reliable firearm I've ever owned. The Carbine is a fantastic urban defense rifle. It will typically out-penetrate the 5.56 and if you use JHP ammo, it will put bad guys down with much more authority than a 5.56 FMJ. It's a damn effective little rifle. The US Military was giving very serious consideration to making the M1 Carbine our standard weapon just before the M16 was "suggested". In fact, I believe the Air Force actually did make it their official rifle a year or two before the M16 was adopted. They were trying to figure out if they would keep it in .30 Carbine or convert them to 5.7 Johnson.
Our enemies in WWII positively hated the M1 Carbine.

I had one of those original Mini-14 folding stocks back in the 1970s and 1980s. Sure wish I had kept it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had one of the folders and I sold it quite a few years ago
I was picking up an all weather Mini yesterday and an old fart was standing at Duncans outdoors and said to me "I have two folders new in box that I have never mounted"

I said they are worth a bit these days he smiled and said that he knew that.I said why not sell me one he said oh one day I will get around to using them. He must have liked me I was in the store for quite a while and he was waiting in the parking lot to show me pics of custom German pistols he brought back from the war and two loose leaf pages of Case knifes he collected

It was me in 30 years

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those old factory folders are nice. I ran across a great deal on one a few years back and put it on my other Min-14, a 16" 580 Tactical. It only took minimal inletting.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mini 14. Folks tend to like them or hate them. Most of the haters have never held one, or fired one, but still they hate. laugh

I don't believe that from Clint Smith either. This one shoots pretty good. Lots of Wolf steel cased ammo. No problems.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought a Mini years ago that with 50 grain Speer bullets would shoot MOA or better, kinda whished I woulda kept it.

The AR is just to much easier to build or to work on, change barrels etc. with a few simple and very reasonably priced tools, and unlike many Mini's, most will shoot great right out of the box.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Brother has a couple Mini-14s I've had the pleasure to shoot.

Spont an afternoon in Dogtown with one of them, which is why I own two AR-15's.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Mini 14. Folks tend to like them or hate them. Most of the haters have never held one, or fired one, but still they hate. laugh

I don't believe that from Clint Smith either. This one shoots pretty good. Lots of Wolf steel cased ammo. No problems.
[Linked Image]

Had the pleasure to shoot probably 10 plus different minis years ago, had a ruger freak that loved minis. And then my BIL bought a couple.

I decided they sucked so bad, I just bought an M1A and was much happier. And then 1 or 2 ARs which totally beat the minis I'd shot hands down.

I admit I hate Ruger to this day for political reasons. I admit I like how the mini looks like an M1A. I'll never own one though. No need to when you have ARs available.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TC1
Here's one I had built a few years ago. It's not as pretty but very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. A 5.56 Wylde chamber 1 in 7" twist with a few other modifications. Just a fun range gun.

[Linked Image]
Sweet!

The problem with that at least was, that you invest a LOT of money to make the mini as accurate as a stock AR typically is.

It does cost a good bit to bring a Mini up to AR accuracy standards. But, the trip is worth the effort. I just like the way a custom Mini handles.

This one was a Ranch Rifle that my ranch hands kept in a pickup to shoot coyotes. After years of use, it was about toast.

I got it back from them and had this gun built. Because I didn't consider the cost of the stock gun, the enhancement package wasn't that terrible. I altered the factory stock to the shape I wanted then painted it with crinkle paint from Brownells.

Accuracy Systems http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php# did the work, including a 9 twist SS match barrel, brake, trigger job, bedding, a full house treatment. They know their stuff.

If one bought a new Ranch Rifle and started with the enhancement process, it could add up.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had 3 Minis - 1 that I bought and 2 that I inherited. Lucked out and traded mine off for an AK. Still have the other 2, but I don't have much use for them. I love the way they handle, but they shoot like schitt. So they never get used.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the Mini 14 had been as accurate as an AR generally speaking, and the mags had been about as cheap and easy to find as an AR the AR platform would be vastly less popular today.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Agreed. I always thought had as much R&D been put into the mini, they would be more popular then they are.

I have had 2 different AR's in the past, nothing special. I had an early Ranch rifle that I had a love hate relationship with. It had the worst accuracy I have ever seen, but it was light and handy and ammo was dirt cheap.

I now have a 580 Ranch and a 581 tatical, i think their is a huge difference in accuracy compared to the old models.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger just seems to have a hard time building an accurate semi auto rife. Buy a 10/22 or Mini 14 then spend almost as much or more than you paid for the gun before it will shoot, is so often read.

Get a $500 DPMS AR or a Marlin 60 and go shooting.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 759 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.