Hop To
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
...My favorite was the guy who believed this existence is not real, it's a god generated simulation, and only the next life is actually real. crazy

Somewhere in my studies I have run across that belief. IIRC, it is a philosophy that has quite a few adherents, to the point of being named. Now if I could just recall what it was called... crazy blush

Ed

They are called Solipsist. Of all the belief systems, this is the one I certainly do not want to have their finger on the little red button. eek

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
...changing those minds is a difficult process, so hopefully they are of the harmless variety of believer...

Why do you feel the need to change their minds?

Ed

P.S. It's my bedtime. Catch up with this tomorrow.

If erroneous beliefs inform actions in a way that hurts others, that's a bad thing. I don't limit the line of reasoning to religion, I extend the courtesy of disabusing one's delusions to Marxist, Liberals, opponents of free trade, haters of the .270, those who shoot round nose bullets west of the Mississippi, or like to add heavy metals to their Scotch.

I disagree with drinkers of Budweiser, but understand that matter of personal tastes and preferences, and not one of objective fact. Our ability to makes choices for ourselves is essential to maximizing our own well being, so long as those choices are not causing uncompensated harm to others, nor unintended consequences to yourself or others. If you want to drink Budweiser, that's your choice, but if the follows of the prophet of Leuven (their new headquarters after the Belgium buyout) only vote for political candidates that plan to make me drink Budweiser, well, that's where I have to draw the line.

Many Campfire Christians fall into the "not harmful" category. Others may expect their idea's to be promoted through the political process in a way that may negatively impact others. As an example some Christians believe creationism should be taught in the science class in public school. We also have members here who advocate for instructor lead Christian prayer in taxpayer funded public schools. Both of these positions would adversely impact the freedoms of myself and my family.

There are other long-term secondary effects that concern me. Non-believers are the fastest growing religious identity in the United States, especially among the younger generations. Currently, the Republican party so strongly identifies with the the more staunch portion of the religious right, we are ceding this entire demographic to the Leftist parties. What happens to the future of this nation if the Republican party is not able to make room for this fastest growing demographic within it's ranks?

Take a look at some of the common Christian reactions to atheist here on the fire. Heck JUST LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD, Doc even claims he's not trying to preach, but in the same breath implicitly threatens those who do not believe as he does with an eternity of torture. Not exactly a way to win political converts and influence elections? If the Political right wishes to remain relevant they will need to begin to understand, and adopt to this new reality. Part of that begins with understanding what nons believe, why, and how the affects our voting preferences.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/24/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
TF49,

Anyway, it seems the dating is effectively disputed. Seems the dates had not been correctly “downdated” as is commonly required with centuries old samples. If one looks at the data and applies the required adjustments, Kenyon’s timeline is not corroborated but in fact is disputed. Go ahead and google “Jericho Chronology Dispute.”

The facts are there to see if one takes the blinders off.

All in all, the biblical account of the fall of Jericho is remarkably well supported by science.

This is consistent with the documentary I saw earlier this month.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

On the other hand, for people who actually care about truth, and not the preconceived notions of their childhood, then comparing one's faith with the imperial evidence is a valid proposition.

The creationists and the evolutionists have the same info. It is the interpretation that is different.

As for those who openly admit they believe because they want to believe and the truth is of no importance to them....changing those minds is a difficult process, so hopefully they are of the harmless variety of believer...

This fits you to a "T"; except the part about harmless. Your mis-information is destructive to the weak in Christian faith.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.