Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Ed, just an fyi..
Many Linux distro's are plug and play. Even more so than either Windows or Mac.
Man, I still am sore about missing the fun at your place my friend. I really really wanted to make that.

Mark,

But who, outside of folks who have techie friends, knows that? I mean, there is NO mainstream advertising to get the word out to the general public that Linux exists, what it is, what the advantages are, what it costs, or how easy it is to install and make it work.

So, for the great, unwashed masses, it isn't "plug-n-play", it's geek stuff.
As I posted above, most are not inclined to look at anything else, mostly out of ignorance. Buy the box, plug it in, and head for the "Interweb".

You really SHOULD come out this way. Doesn't have to be an "O-fishul Gathering".

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I have a desktop and a laptop, both HP's and they've been superb. The laptop has Windows 7 and the desktop has Vista ... absolutely no problems with either Operating System.

No idea about Windows 8

kd

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Ed, just an fyi..
Man, I still am sore about missing the fun at your place my friend. I really really wanted to make that.

Mark,

But who, outside of folks who have techie friends, knows that? I mean, there is NO mainstream advertising to get the word out to the general public that Linux exists, what it is, what the advantages are, what it costs, or how easy it is to install and make it work.

As I posted above, most are not inclined to look at anything else, mostly out of ignorance. Buy the box, plug it in, and head for the "Interweb".

You really SHOULD come out this way. Doesn't have to be an "O-fishul Gathering".

Ed

Your point is valid. You're not going to see a box for Ubuntu on the Store Shelf.

After I get back on my feet with the job, I'll send ya a PM about making the trip. smile

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I and my kids have owned a few HP desk tops, but usually we just buy components and assemble our own PC. It really is not too tough to do.

HP has deservedly earned one of the most unenviable reputations for reliability in the industry. Dell is much less maligned.

Were I in the market for a new desk top, I would seriously consider Asus. They have been building some of the top computer main boards and graphics cards for many years.

If you like XP and do not want to spend a lot of time learning to navigate a different operating system, go with Win 7. It is a nearly seamless transition from XP.

My opinion; if I purchased a new computer today, and it came with Win 8.1 on it, I would nuke the hard drive. And I would spend $69 for an OEM copy of Win 7 and install it.

I spent about three hours one day trying to do a little bit of work on a laptop with Win 8 installed. That was three hours totally shot to hell. If I wanted a touch screen operating system, I would buy a cell phone with a touch screen.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Vista machine is now five years old and I too am looking into maybe getting another. I'm having to unplug it nearly every morning and replug to get it to start up. One guy came out but never did fix it.

Dell seems to mostly offer Windows8-something I don't want. Wonder if you can get them to install W7 instead?

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I built my own last year using PC Partspicker. Loaded Win 7. Runs fast. Saved bucks. No weak links as in most prebuilts. Just a thought. It is pretty straight forward to assemble one.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Maximum PC Magazine recently did an article stating that Dell was catering to the Win 7 market. A few seconds with Google yielded this result:

If you're looking for desktop horsepower, the Dell XPS 8700 offers plenty: Core i7 processor, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB hard drive, and an AMD Radeon HD 7570 graphics card with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. It's on sale for $799.99, and it, too, comes with Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

http://www.cnet.com/news/dell-still-has-windows-7-pcs-and-theyre-on-sale/

Also, if shopping at a retail outlet such as Staples, or Best Buy, one might ask sales personnel about a free "downgrade" to Win 7.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Ed, just an fyi..

Mark,

Ed

I am NOT a computer geek and have no computer training and I use Ubuntu. If there is something I don't know how to do in ubuntu I just use a search and the answers are all there in terms even I can understand.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While ya'll debate linux vs windows and hp and dells and [bleep],

If you buy or currently own a computer running 8, download and install Classic Shell and it will look like and function darn close to 7. 8 sucks frack'n balls and I hated it too, but I have run 8 for at least five months with Classic Shell and have no reason to return to 7, and I am a picky bitch when it comes to computers.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Dave

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dell and HP both sell new units with Win 7 pre-installed. Just look on Amazon.

To each his own.

Even with Classic Shell the Metro is still running, still trying to run live and consuming resources. It still bounces back and forth between desktop and Metro interfaces...............

Me, Win7, Linux or Android.

For giggles today I put Ubuntu 13.10 on a Acer Iconia W700P tablet.

Guess what? Everything works fine, all the hardware etc. The only issues were Flash updates and Silverlight for streaming for Netflix and Amazon video.

Both no longer support Linux, the work around files have been compiled and posted for free use.

Win 8 was so bad on this tablet, I couldn't give it away. The thing had been sitting on the shelf for 6 months.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Now why didn't I think of trying that.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have been pleased with my Toshiba satellite. It has Windows 7 on it.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
350 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.