Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Grampa never went to school, but Dad and I did of course.

I realize that there's a lot to be said about being able to read, but generations of people like him did fine without it. I might not have agreed with him, but I would never arghue with, or even attempt to correct him. If I had followed in my grandfather footsteps, I wouldn't have bothered with an education, and probably worked on the farm. I took a different turn in the road.

Grampa drank, smoked, drove a car, danced and travelled the world with no problems. He lived until the age of 94 in blissful ignorance of much of the stupidity of the world. He listened to the radio, but didn't need to read instructions on how to turn it off. He never felt hard done by for not learning to read!

When I was about twelve, I asked him why he never bothered with school. I didn't understand his answer then, but I think I do now! I guess what I'm trying to say is, I envy his outlook on life, and the fact that he never let little things bother him.

Son, television and movies tell you that reading and writing is important. I'm sure it has its place if you want to be a scientist or something, but not around me. I raise pigs. Pigs can't read signs or write a list of what they want. If they're sick, they cannot tell me what's ailing them. The weather never spells out its intentions in the sky. The grass never sends me a written notice to be cut.

The chickens lay eggs and the bees leave their honey, all without any printed schedules.

When I'm at the restaurant, I order what I want. I don't need to read to eat.

The alphabet didn't help me get my licence. The fellow at the government office gave me an oral exam.

I've been all over the world with your grandmother. Not once did my lack of reading hurt me. What the hell good is knowing how to read English when you're in France, Italy or China anyway?"

Think about it! For really important stuff like taxes, contracts, the law and such, not being able to read means you can duck many of the responsibilities, penalties and costs. Being illiterate can be a Godsend.

Judges and government people are kinder to tax paying folks like me who cannot read. Sometimes, they'll dismiss traffic tickets because of your "problem". If they do fine you, the courts will give you extra time to pay, or appoint someone to help. See, you never committed the infraction with malicious intent.

I know that stores are closed through years of experience. Even when they open a new one, I look to see if the lights are on, and if there are employees inside. The manager of the feed store says I'm not allowed on the loading dock because of insurance regulations. Apparently, there's a sign warning people off. That's just as well. Let them load my pick up and save me at least one heavy lifting job!

There are agencies to assist people like me with legal problems, or even simple things like assembling a BBQ. A fellow can get help with a marriage licence or sending away for a birth certificate. I got both, but show them to others to read. Heck, I know what's written on them!

I never get letters from anyone important. I get bills, but can read the numbers. My family don't bother writing because they know I can't read. They phone instead. Guess what? It's better to talk to your family than to send them notes. Because of that, I never had to buy a stamp or pay for a postal money order.

When someone dies, the priest tells me so at church.

God never asked me to learn to read. He asked me to listen.

You know, I could go on, but frankly, reading just ain't that important.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You had a smart grampa.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My grandfather told me to not stand on the street corner and talk with the village idiot because passers-by would see me and think that I was an idiot also!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best of the best from the Campfire.

Many, many thanks for the stories. They are wonderful, and very insightful of the old guys.

Steve

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're very welcome!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
149 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.