Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by saddlesore

When the milk was delivered to your door step in glass bottles, the little card board seals on top had pictures of well known western stars on the inside that kids collected.

Pogs!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I watched Gunsmoke from the time I could watch tv around 1959 to is final broadcast in 1975. Westerns pretty much have died out. Clint Eastwood's Outlaw Josey Wales and Pale Rider are pretty much the last of the big screen westerns. The Westerns were our countries heroic myths if you would. The post civil war era 1865 to 1900 or so was about the rebuilding and making the 20th century an American one. The people who run entertainment from the 1960's on do nothing more that to diminish the nation in the entertainment is produces. After all it was a pretty independent rugged bunch that settled the west, and they didn't take an bull crap from anybody either. Even the Cop shows are well crap compared to what it was in years passed, Last good one was Hill Street Blues and that is 30 years ago.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Prior to the well known old series like Roy Rogers, etc. There was Tom Mix, Lash Larue, Red Rider and Little Beaver, Flaming Arrow.

Audie Murphy played in many early western movies.

When The Lone Ranger and Tonto were in the peak, you could get games and trivia from the card board dividers in Nabisco Shredded wheat boxes.

When the milk was delivered to your door step in glass bottles, the little card board seals on top had pictures of well known western stars on the inside that kids collected.

Great trivia.
Thanks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Chester Goode of "Gunsmoke" limped due to having been wounded as a Confederate soldier at the battle of "Pitsburg Landing"(Shiloh), Tennessee. BTW -- Marshall Dillon had been a soldier under Confederate Gen. Sterling Price.

General Sterling Price was from Keytesville, Missouri, where my mother went to school. I grew up about 20 miles from there, the Chariton County seat. Most of my family still lives in the area.

FWIW, Marshal Rooster Cogburn also rode with Sterling Price, if you recall your "True Grit" grin

Just for fun, google up Chariton County MO, and read some of the goings-on that happened there during the War of Northern Aggression, Chariton County and Macon County had themselves a regular little border war amongst themselves.....

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to watch Sky King - it combined two of my favorite themes, westerns and flying.

One of my favorite tv western series was High Chapparal. It was a bit of a knock-off of Bonanza but was grittier, and had somewhat more realistic storylines.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Bonanza was crap. Watch it now, and it's just not-too-well-disguised liberal BS. We didn't know any different when we were kids, but watching it now makes me retch.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by drover
I used to watch Sky King - it combined two of my favorite themes, westerns and flying.

And Penny!!!! Loved that show!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think James Arness also had a leg injury at Anzio in WWII.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rooster Cogburn's cat was named General Sterling Price.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
On a related subject, I've been watching Pale Rider on AMC today.

Getting towards the end. Great!

your right .... that was a great ending.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.