Print Thread
Hop To
V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I need to buy a sighting in laser for a couple of different calibers. I don,t know much about them, I am looking for info on the preferred make and type.
Thanks

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one for 243-308 works good for me , I am looking for a few more 30-30 -22HP and 250- 300 sav.

not at home do not remember the make , let you know later.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If by sighting in laser you mean a laser boresighter and your intent is to use it on a 99, why spend the money just to save a couple extra shots? Start with the (large) target really close and fire a shot. Chances are that if the installation was done properly it'll be somewhere on the paper. Move the crosshairs accordingly and fire again. I guarantee you'll be on target in no time and can move back to 50 or 100 yards and fine tune it. If using a bolt gun or single shot it's even easier. Just deprime an empty case and drill out the flash hole a bit bigger and insert it in the chamber with the bolt out. The tiny aperture created by the flash hole will allow you to better center the bore on the bullseye, then it's a simple matter to adjust the crosshairs to where they are quartering the bullseye too. Fire a shot and take it from there.

Guys have sighted in millions of rifles before there were gizmos like boresighters. I would spend the money on other shooting supplies before spending it on a laser boresighter. JMO. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on Gary's remarks. I have never found these laser boresighters worth the trouble and expense. I enjoy shooting my 99s, and if I need to fire a few extra shots to get into the X-ring so much the better.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, a bench rest shooter once told me to put a big target up at 25 yards, get in the black, and go back to 100 yards, She said as a rule of thumb, within a few yards, a center fire cartridge will cross line of sight at about 25 yards going up, and cross again coming down at about 100 yards. It has worked with every rifle I've ever owned from 100 grain 250 to 300 grain 35 Winchester. Sorry, that's not the answer to your question, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've always stared at 25-yards and then worked my way out to 100. All you have to know is what the clicks on your scope are worth at 100-yards and then do the math for shorter distances. With bolt guns I've had good luck just sighting through the barrel to the distance I was shooting for and adjusting the scope accordingly. That will get you in the ball park for fine tuning.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

V
velcro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Thank You I,ll try it.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 25 yard trick works just great. Just multiply the distance from the X by a factor of 4, and you will be right on as if it was 100 yards away. Works every time on any gun.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.