Print Thread
Hop To
#8777821 04/14/14
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I recently received a modified Mauser 98 (Yugo)action rebarreled in 243 Win. the stock is cracked in several places and I'd like to replace it. Will a standard Mauser sporter stock from say Boyd or Fajen work or are there other choices?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're talking about the M48 the answer is no. The best test is to measure the distance between the Guard screws on center.

This table should help:

http://curioandrelicfirearmsforum.yuku.com/topic/12434#.U0xgPcbnzUk

I put a type 48 barreled action I bought from Mitchell Mausers in a cheapo plastic stock. Lot of Dremel time and glass bedding. Stuck an old Alaskan on it w/a side mount so the ocular would clear the bolt handle. Painted is up. It was butt ugly but would put 3 Sierra handloaded bullets in less than 1" @ 100.

Great truck and horse scabbard gun ..... no worries about dinging the finish.

Sold it to a young friend of limited means who puts a fat cow Elk in the freezer with it every year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the M48 is an intermediate action, slightly shorter. Check with Boyd's (search the web site by make/model). I believe they make Yugo stocks in laminate or plain walnut and may be in stock.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
School me please. The action is marked mod 98 and Predozece, which I understood meant made in Yugoslavia. Is the action a mod 48?

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the barreled action is stock (military), try to keep the whole rifle intact. Buy a stock for an intermediate length action and keep as original as possible.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know enough about Yugoslav production to give a definitive answer. Boatloads of Model 48 rifles in very good condition were imported not very long ago. Mine are stamped "M 48" or "M 48 A" below the crest on the ring. These actions are Mauser 98 pattern but slightly shorter.

The Yugoslavs refurbished some German 98k captures which may be what you have. See Wiki article Here. If you go to Boyd's they give dimensions for their stocks which you can compare to your rifle, particularly center-to-center action screw distance and overall floor plate length.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all. djs, action is not stock and has been rebarreled in 243. appears to be a Yugo refurb before 1950 since 48 is absent on the receiver. iow marked MOD 98. & Preduzece 44. also no crest on receiver. scrubbed perhaps when refurb. or by smith that rebuilt?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Measure the distance between the guard screw, that will tell you what you have.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
With those markings what you have is a standard Model 98 that was reworked by Zastava following WWII, it would be a capture receiver and could be any manufacture that was German issue during WWII(German, Czech...ect..)

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is not rocket science. Ignore the marking !

Measure the distance between the guard screws, that will tell you what you have.

"Mauser bolt action rifles have been produced for over 100 years in a wide variety of calibers, from many manufacturing plants all over the world. Most of these guns have several critical dimensions in common, allowing us to group them as Small Ring, Yugo and Large Ring Mausers.

Small Ring Mauser - Receiver measures 1 1/4� on the front receiver ring and 7 5/8� center to center on the trigger guard screws. Fits most models: 93, 94, 95 & 96 rifles and carbines.
Large Ring Mauser - Receiver measures 1 3/8� on the front receiver ring and 7 7/8� center to center on the trigger guard screws. Includes most large ring actions as well as the Centurion FN, Parker Hale 1200, and the Santa Barbara. 98 bolt channels must be rasped in.
Yugo Mauser - Receiver measures 1 3/8" on the front receiver ring and 7 5/8" center to center on the action screws. Includes M48, M48a & M24 Yugoslavian. Bolt cut will also need to be rasped in."

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by spanishhombre
This is not rocket science. Ignore the marking !

Measure the distance between the guard screws, that will tell you what you have.

Knowing what the marking means will tell also.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you. that seems pretty straight forward. and thanks all for your replies and help.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I assume that Kuhnhausen's book on Mausers is not in your library ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...8-a-shop-manual-book-by-jerry-kuhnhausen

It's VERY clear that the only SURE way to ID a Mauser action is measuring between the guard screws and having accurate photos of the various action types.

You can find Mauser 98 variations with marks on them from Arabs to Zimbabwe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.