-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Did a search but wondering what set-ups you guys are using to hang your steel targets? The ground here can vary from very soft to extremely hard so pounding posts in the ground isn't that desirable.

I've been shooting scrap steel and heavy machine parts from work but a bud and I got qty=6, 3/8" thick, 12"x12" armor plate from another bud. He overheard us talking about steel targets and showed up the next day with plate used for .mil projects/contracts.

I'm no welder but can run a Mig and have steel stock. Just wondering if you've found some simple yet effective stands without a lot of bulk or fuss.

Oh... some mud flaps got torn off of one of our forklifts last week (flaps got stuck between tire and fender) so I snagged those.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/15/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for the terrible pic, but at the moment, it's the best I got.

Anyhow, it will free stand and the legs which extend about 3" below the cross braces at the bottom can be pushed into the soil if needed. Rebar is cheap and would work just fine for something like this

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not a welder either so I used threaded pipe elbows and "T" from the hardware store. I had a bunch of odd length pieces of electrical conduit from my wall tent frame so I used those. I had to grind the thread so the conduit would fit. I also use some pins to take it apart when I ride to a quad accessible only location. You could also just use threaded pipe to make it even simpler. This was just a test, the horizontal bar and legs are longer and I'm using straps instead of chains.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simple swing set brackets and 1/2" rebar

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sendero_man; 04/17/14.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sendero
Are those blind end caps? We use the same thing for our long range gongs! They work great.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
T post and a bracket on the back of my steel plate.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used some 1/2" pipe fittings and came up with this.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not good picture but you get the idea. Those are 4' rebar and the weight from the steel helps stabilize the set up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 805
Sendero
Are those blind end caps? We use the same thing for our long range gongs! They work great.

yes, the top pic is smile

bottom is a Disc off a farm implement

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sendero_man

[Linked Image]

I use the same setup, but hang my targets with cut lengths of fire hose.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used various metal stands, but now prefer to just pound a couple lengths of 2 x 4 into the ground with a single cross piece connecting the tops. The gongs are hung on 2 loops of nylon strapping from broken semi tie-downs and 1/2" grade 8 bolts. My target boards are the same thing with a piece of plywood nailed to it.I can put them up in minutes and since it is my own land they stay there until a moose knocks them over.

I've found that the portables get knocked over when shooting, and most metal stands get shot up and jagged.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some interesting ideas fellas.

I think I'll weld some 1/2-13 bolt(s) on the backside of the targets, then hang with those mudflaps. I like the bungees though. And re-bar is a good idea for legs on the cheap.

Just need to get some legs made. I've got a 110v wire-feed at home but its easier to do this stuff at work.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might avoid welding on the armor plate due to its hardness and the flex that takes place with each hit, which causes welds to break eventually. Punch some 1/2" holes in the plate with a plasma and bolt your belting on that way.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good point Lonny... I thought about that. But how is the armor welded? The source of our plates has to scrap 3" around the cut due to .mil standard. Wouldn't small tacks around a bolt be less heat than a plasma hole?

I could drill holes, but then the hardware is exposed. And yes, I'm the guy that'll hit the hardware laugh

I suppose we could just wing it and get more plates if needed. Don't want to gut the goose laying the golden eggs for us though grin

Jason

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Sendero_man

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What kind of swing set brackets and where do I find them? Thanks

Looks like I need to go dig around in the boneyard at work and see if I can find any blind flanges...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
had them made outta 3/4" conduit LSU.

one 20' stick of rebar does on stand. 4-4' for legs and one 3' for cross piece. very cheap and very sturdy stand !

Used wire the first year, but have since upgraded to nylon tow strap and belt like Scenar is using.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks. When you said swing set brackets I was hoping there was something easy I could buy. Can probably get all the rebar scraps I need from work but getting the brackets welded up is a little tougher.

Last edited by LSU fan; 04/18/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody on Snipershide was selling them a few years back. I bought enough to make a half-dozen stands for pretty cheap. You might ask around on the various shooting forums.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Good point Lonny... I thought about that. But how is the armor welded? The source of our plates has to scrap 3" around the cut due to .mil standard. Wouldn't small tacks around a bolt be less heat than a plasma hole?

I could drill holes, but then the hardware is exposed. And yes, I'm the guy that'll hit the hardware laugh

I suppose we could just wing it and get more plates if needed. Don't want to gut the goose laying the golden eggs for us though grin

Jason

It sounds like you have access to a variety of true armor plate and not the AR 4-500 or "Abrasion Resistant" varieties that most people use for targets. That should be some really good stuff.

Whenever you heat these types of materials to cut or weld, it compromises the steel. Plasma cutting does heat it up and the edges near it are now softer, but it still works pretty darn well. Water-jet would be the bomb. Welding will do the same as plaz and small tacks have a high chance of eventually breaking. Larger welds hold better but have more heat input which softens the material even more. With armor plate and building commercial bullet traps, we used very small tacks to hold in position until we could bolt pieces into place. My pick for a home use target would be plaz cutting holes for hanging so as to not have the chance of welds breaking. You might have to replace a bolt every now and again, but that better than rewelding again and again.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The guy that sells the targets on here bolts on a deal on the back that slips over a standard $3 tpost fence post. Yes, believe it or not you will shoot the fence post, but mine has taken 3 rounds and it's still standing. If it breaks, another $3 fence post and you are back in the game.

Assuming of course you actually have some dirt where you intend to place your target.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.