Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by teal
I'm all for doing what I can, when I can but I'm also not going to drop several grand in specialty tools to save a couple hundred on labor with the local shop.

I take it you don't own a nuclear sub then?

wink

Close enough - when I lunched my Banshee it needed 2 new cylinders, new rods, rod bearings, pistons, crank straightened at a min, clutch boss, 3rd gear, 6th gear, and a new head. Plus gaskets and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Top ends of 2 strokes are easy peasy, getting into the bottom end and 6 speed trans - little more involved and expensive. I believe that's the old RZ350 motor from the Yam road bike.

IIRC that was a press fit crank - I simply do not have the inclination to purchase the tooling.

I did the smart thing and sold it to a kid who wanted the rest for parts. Dropping 3k into parts and labor didn't make sense on a 2200 dollar machine and that only got me back to stock. Would need to be ported and decked again to make me happy. The thing would detonate on anything less than 100% race gas, no cutting it with 93 - DNR had me pushing 100 on the ice with it one winter and I threw a lower rod bearing at WFO in third gear so I'm thinking I was doing about 60 when I went over the bars and into the weeds.

Me

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting thread, and one I can relate to after numerous dealings with contractors, not to mention gunsmiths.

Seems to me that someone in such a business would do well to learn how to turn down work they don't want politely and graciously, thereby preserving goodwill and one's reputation, instead of blowing off the customer or potential customer with the old "I'll get back to you" BS. Some of them seem like HS prom princesses, keeping a guy on the hook while hoping a better prospect (more lucrative job) comes along.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Pete E
These guys have missed their calling: they should have been gunsmiths!

Or taxidermists.

Or Ferrier's.

Farriers are late only because of clients.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Sorry you're having this trouble, but I'm curious; what did you know about these guys before you sent the work to them?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Most motorcycle mechanics are winos who never got around to hockin' their daddy's wrenches.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It baffles me too. I've tried to get mechanics down to my boat at $90 an hour. Them seem so uninterested in making money. They have enough work easily in my area to stay busy 6-8 hours a day, considering everything is a 5 minute drive or less. Blows my mind.

Now I just do everything myself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Quick rant: after almost two and a half years and three promises to get started on and complete all work on my bike, I have yet to reach satisfaction. The first guy told me it'd be about two weeks to get parts and take care of the project. 18 months later, he declares that he's too busy, but had passed my bike off to a 2 stroke guru guy who will bang out what's left of the work inside of the month, TOPS.

6 months later, I get a call telling me that I needed to come get the thing, as he'd been diagnosed with cancer. OK, well that sucks and I wish him all the best, but what happened to the rock solid guarantee to get the work done 5 months before the bad news/diagnosis? Never mind.

Bike goes to yet ANOTHER guy. Same old booshat. After 6 months and zero contact, I left a message saying that I would be up two weeks from that day, and if he got the work done, great. If not, I'd pay him for whatever he did do. Calls me back and says he'll be all done by the date. Yesterday, I am told something like, "well, we're almost finished, but with your time restrictions..." I stopped him mid-sentence and hissed, "you've had my bike for 6 months; if you couldn't finish the few hours of work it needed, you should've just told me so. Now get me an invoice listing what you managed to get through in between whatever else it is you do when not working on projects that you promised would be taken care of 'right away'..."

Does *anyone* GAF about one's word given in any meaningful way anymore? To me, a promise is just that, and it is damned important to me, no, *imperative* to be a man of my word.

Bike is at shop #4. Just a few electrical tweeks/mods, and I should be good, but who the hell knows. This country has collectively declined so much in my lifetime, virtually across the board. It upsets me. Rant over. And thanks but no, I'd not care for any cheese to accompany my whine.

Dope.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Dope.

Well, there's that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lol...I didn't just pull that out of my ass. I've run into the same thing several times with ATV stuff. There seems to be some type of connection between motorcycle mechanics and opioids.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by California_Kid
This is why I do everything I can myself. I learned a long time ago I not only do a better job, but am not rushed like a dealer or tradesman. If I don't know how to do something, I find out. I have never left a drain plug or an oil filter loose like a few dealers I know. In 2-1/2 years you could have learned how and fixed your own bike 3 times over. Its a 2 stroke for gods sake, not a nuclear submarine. Gunsmithing same thing. I have done my own gunsmithing for years. Now I'm not rifling barrels but most things you can do yourself if you want to. Between the internet and the library there is little an individual cannot do. I have lifted my own Jeep, swapped axles by myself, rebuilt engines and tiled my own floors. Now if it was an old Triumph I would understand waiting a few months for parts. But a Japanese 2 stroke? Get a manual and get busy. Now as far as taxidermy goes. I have seen some awful looking crosseyed deer. I think that is one I will forego. And since I cant or don't want to do that I guess I have no use for a taxidermist.

Gawd!!! Me too. When I do have to pay someone to do something for me my wife says all I do is bitch. I bought a good code scanner for my cars. It's paid for itself.
I do vintage dirt bikes and do all work myself but boring and honing.
A 2 stroke electrical shouldn't be too tough and there are dedicated Kawi triples and RD350/400 gurus out there. Not so many Suzuki guys though.
Rick's Stator should be able to rebuild or rewind anything too.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
"A promise made is a debt unpaid" Robert A Service. Good works to live by. I too am self reliant. Retired on medical disability and am pretty good with my hands (Art Major background). A fixed income forces me to do it myself rather than farm it out. When we built a small home, y family and I did the laminate and tile flooring and and painting saving 12K. I just replaced valve cover gaskets on our Jeep rather than fork out $350. Going to do the pads next. Gotta fix the RS window regualator window clip. Already done the LS. I've always done the oil changes and taught my sons how to also. Seems I have to work on the mower every time I cut grass. Recently rebuilt the water treatment pump.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol...I didn't just pull that out of my ass. I've run into the same thing several times with ATV stuff. There seems to be some type of connection between motorcycle mechanics and opioids.
and boat mechanics.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There seems to be some type of connection between motorcycle mechanics and opioids.

It helps to know your gang tats.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Sorry you're having this trouble, but I'm curious; what did you know about these guys before you sent the work to them?

1st guy is a friend. Still is, but his word isn't worth anything anymore. Life happens; I know that well. I prodded him every couple months, and being that he'd had some personal issues (custody battles, bad ex and some other work stuff) I didn't push too hard. The guy had done me right in the past (worked both ways) I chose to grin and bear it, esp with the move. Other thing is, he's a merchant marine, so goes to sea for 2 weeks at a whack as engineer on big tugboats. I bought his Grape Ape and had that, and as winter approached I just said 'screw it, but I want it back when spring comes around...' That was TWO springs ago, BTW. mad

That was the first guy. Anyway, enough typing. It was a CF from the start. I wish I had a guy I could trust to do my MC work like my buddy who does all my car/truck stuff. Makes me appreciate him all the more. A few pics of a couple ofmy machines, and some the first guy built/worked on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Auto%20and%20bike/1000RLNH.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Auto%20and%20bike/313acae5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Auto%20and%20bike/yamaha-rd400.jpg[/img]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
My first bike, at age 14 was a '75 RD 350 B, like this one in the vid below. Mine was stock pumpkin orange, though, and pretty stock mechanically. At first, anyway. He built the black one from boxes of parts. How can a guy not love that sound and blue smoke...? OK, now I'm mad again. Effin' guy... frown

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I didn't miss the point about the original post. I feel ya. But I also know we cant change people who do not do what they say they are going to do. The only way to avoid those people is to do it ourselves. Its amazing to me that you hear these small business owners complain about not getting enough business locally or that their customers are taking business out of town, when they are only open four days a week or wont return your phone calls. The only way we can attempt to change their behavior is thru their wallets. If they don't return calls, or meet deadlines you don't use them again and make sure your friends don't either. Or you do the work yourself and cost them business that way. I do have to use tradespeople or service providers every now and then but do my research first. I get quotes and check references when possible and let them know I'll be fair with them and expect the same treatment in return. You kind of knew what you were getting into with Mr. gone to sea for two months at a time. Friend or not I would have avoided him. Good luck, hope it gets repaired soon.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's two *weeks*, not months. Appreciate the input in any event. Cheers.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,564
Posts18,453,755
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.