Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by fgold767
Ok....I admit not having thought of putting a person's name on
the label and not xyz firearms....good thought....but when she very pointedly asked me if it was a firearm since the label said
"xyz firearms"...I am not conditioned to outright lie to someone
I thought of as not just a clerk but a friend...just not made that way...

You think she asks the 538 people before you mailing a medium or large flat rate box if a firearm is in there?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I went to a UPS/FedEx drop shop and a small PO in the town I live in and was told by both "you need a special transporters license". When I asked them what was the name of the "special license" and they couldn't tell me. I then said how you going to know if I have the right license when I go to ship if you don't know what it is? The drop shop woman started screaming I don't ship firearms and caused a scene, I then said you should have said that in the first place. I left before the police came!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
An approach that might resolve the problem some are having when shipping, is to not open your mouth first, let the clerk start the conversation. They will ask how you want it shipped, you state your desire,they then ask if it contains anything flammable, fragile , liquid or dangerous, you of course answer no, pay your freight and the deal is done.
Seems a few guys just can't resist telling the world that they are shipping a firearm. Think of it as shipping merely a package and your life will be less stressful.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
AS a C&R FFL you are not a Dealing FFL.I am surprised the FFL accepted your license .All you need to supply is your name and address.I send a copy of a DL.Most FFL`s are happy with that.I have a C&R and the only time it is sent to a dealing FFL is on a purchase.It is not legal to enter into a FFL log on a sale.As far as supplying anything to the USPS,tell them to GFY!!!

Last edited by Huntz; 04/18/14.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The receiving dealer still has the right to not accept firearms from individuals if he doesn't want to. It makes no sense to me, and I've never run across one who wouldn't receive firearms from an individual...but I reckon they're out there. If providing him with a copy of a C&R makes him feel better about receiving the firearm...so what.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have never shipped a gun. I have mailed a lot of machine parts and tools though.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
READ THIS:

USPS Firearms Shipping

There are many parts you may want to memorize in case of a pop-quiz by a witless postal clerk. In particular MEMORIZE THESE:

432.1-C No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.

432.3-G Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 432.3a.

As someone else mentioned DO NOT ADDRESS THE PACKAGE TO ANY BUSINESS NAME THAT EVEN INSINUATES IT DEALS WITH FIREARMS.
If it's going to Joe Bob's Machine Guns and Death Rays simply make that Joe Bob's.

Here it is on the........
ATF Website

(b) No common or contract carrier
shall require or cause any label, tag, or
other written notice to be placed on
the outside of any package, luggage, or
other container indicating that such
package, luggage, or other container
contains a firearm

There's a lot more good stuff you can look up and read. What it comes to is the simple fact it is legal for a non-FFL holder to ship a long gun to any FFL holder in any state by USPS. Building on that here's the way I've found to work quite well for me and is entirely legal:

1)Set up an account at www.usps.com . It's easy.
2)Package the long gun being shipped securely with nothing on the outside of the package or on the shipping label even remotely insinuating a firearm is inside. I tape either a copy of the receivers FFL or a printout of the ATF eZCheck ( ATF eZCheck LINK HERE ) to the gun barrel and include my sender information as well.
3)Create your label following prompts. You can add whatever insurance you wish during this process.
4)Answer truthfully the questions asked concerning package contents. This pops up during the process and requires only a check mark.
5)Securely affix the package label covering it entirely in transparent packaging tape.
6)Take it to your local post office and drop it off. In mine there is a service half-door where I can simply reach inside and stand the package. If someone happens to be in view there I hand it over wish them a nice day and exit. The easier you make it for a postal worker the better that worker likes it and you. I was once asked the contents before I could make the turn around and simply answered "maching parts"; an absolutely true answer.

If a receiving FFL holder refuses to accept my shipment I suggest to the buyer he find another. That too is easy. If this is the one and only dealer available then the buyer is going to pay $30 to $50 for the additional hassle.

Finally, keep it simple and say no more than is necessary. Don't go in looking to start a conversation. Do your business and leave.

Here's a couple of online sources for info:
Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition
[color:#CC0000]ONLINE FIREARMS SCAMS [/color] This should be required reading.

Where's Bricktop when you really need him.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm ready to go on a USPS rant, but for another reason. I just got back from visiting 3 different post offices in an attempt to cash a USPS money order. What a effing joke. 2 didn't have the funds and the other said they had to call the money order in to verify it, but they were unable to because the system was down.

I just don't see any point to asking for payment via USPS money order any more.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin

only because they can USUALLY verify it is real.

they can usually cash them for a smaller amount, say,$50.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
hazardous?-no
flammable?-no
liquid?-no
lithium batteries?-no

What's in it?-Phuuuuuc off

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When shipping firearms I NEVER use the mention of firearms in the address. If it is going to XYZ Gun Shop I put XYZ GS on the company line and in the name box, who ever it it for. Even if it is ABC Sporting Goods I just put ABC SG. In other words I only use initials for any shooting or shooting related address, if it is a Pawn & Guns I just use Pawn.

Never had a problem and till it gets local the minions inbetween don't handle a package that screams "STEAL ME".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Form 1508 is for an FFL shipping a handgun to another FFL. Requiring it for anything else is bovine excrement.

The one I found online says "firearms"
The word "Handgun" is nowhere on it

It was also dated 1994:
http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

More detailed regulations, with no mention of Form 1508
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

A FFL is not required to ship a long gun. No need for a 1508 since it is not necessary to provide proof of having a FFL. A FFL is required to mail a handgun. Only reason to provide a 1508 is to ship a handgun. The last link you provided does mention a 1508 being required to ship a handgun.

I never said it was required, but he did tell them he was also an FFL, which may have caused the confuaion

The top of Form 1508 says it may only be used by FFL's

I did miss the one referrence to the form among all the regulations on the second link

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm ready to go on a USPS rant, but for another reason. I just got back from visiting 3 different post offices in an attempt to cash a USPS money order. What a effing joke. 2 didn't have the funds and the other said they had to call the money order in to verify it, but they were unable to because the system was down.

Why go to so many post offices? Your bank will cash it like any other money order.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the va state usps office actually showed me online in writing that according to there rules they can ship a long gun person to person with no ffl. i wouldn't do that for fear of selling to a criminal.i alway ship to the buyers ffl and include a copy of my id in the package for the ffl's records. we have very good people at both local post offices that i use.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
In state you can. So in other words you ALWAYS use an FFL for a firearms transfer?

So if your neighbor wanted to buy one you would go to an FFL?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some Post Offices are full of loons. I went in to ship a box containing 50 slings and the clerk noticed the company name on the return address.

She asked what's a sling? I told her they were rifle slings...well here we go... took me 5 minutes of repeating, "these are not firearms' to get it through her skull that it was a box containing 50 pieces of leather.

She then asked if it was ammunition. mad

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.