Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

We have tried to talk the "brass" into Tahoe's as well but our budget will not allow it. Too bad because I agree these are great vehicles.
Those and the occasional Suburban are the only thing that our Sheriff's Department buys these days. They are flooded with Homeland Security dollars, and these units cost our county $80K+ each with all the communications equipment. They are mostly driven by young deputies making about $10-$12 per hour who are waiting to be admitted to the academy so that they can get certified and go somewhere else.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They don't pay that much for them. I know that for a fact. They go with the low bid automaker for government vehicles.

You and I would pay that much, but the government doesn't. You would be shocked at the price they pay. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter
you need one of these with a 440 in it.

I had one of those. My first patrol car. 1974 Grand Fury Police Interceptor. 440CI, Humongous 4bbl carb, and itty, bitty drum brakes all the way around.

Top speed (clocked on radar by a State Trooper as I was going to a sniper call at a local high school) was 147mph.

If you floored it from the standing start, it would upshift to second at about 65mph, second to third around 95mph, then bury the speedometer needle in the dash.
There was so much unburned fuel in the system when you floored it, that there were two black smoke ropes coming from the exhaust pipes until you got above 95 when it started to burn most of the fuel being delivered. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They don't pay that much for them. I know that for a fact. They go with the low bid automaker for government vehicles.

You and I would pay that much, but the government doesn't. You would be shocked at the price they pay. wink

My thinking is the vendors know who has grant money or other govbucks and raise up a little to get their share. I know that when our fire department got it they were not as concerned with cost as when it was all department funds.

Last edited by smarquez; 04/18/14.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The explorers are easier to get in and out of, but they're still suck for comfort. The rattle like a tin can full of marbles after about 10K miles and don't have any more ground clearance than a C-Vic. There's just no perfect option.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why do the troopers need to go 100+ miles an hour. With all the tech now, can't they just get the camera feed from the drones and follow the perp at safe speeds and distance? Then call air strike bombs to take care of situation.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smarquez
My thinking is the vendors know who has grant money or other govbucks and raise up a little to get their share. I know that when our fire department got it they were not as concerned with cost as when it was all department funds.

Vendors for LE are a VERY competitive bunch. While they don't like to leave money on the table, low bid wins the day because most government entities (not volunteer FDs!) have to play buy the purchasing rules and even five bucks too high can lose a bid.

Our local VFD has the ability to raise funds independent of the county and the ability to spend it as they wish. When it comes time to spend money that is passed through the county through Fire District taxes, they have to play by the county rules for spending and that means low bid, three+ bids, and and increasingly tighter purchasing oversight.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The bids are announced at the county commission meetings at which the winning bids are approved.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen

The bids are announced at the county commission meetings at which the winning bids are approved.

Y'all need some county commissioners with some brains.

The county bought me a brand new F-150 4x4 SuperCrew for my Wildlife Services Dept. there. It had decent options, but wasn't loaded. Cloth seats, elect. windows, etc...

Total cost: Under $13k.

From bidding out government vehicles before I know that the federal government puts out a request each year to the domestic automakers for considerations of low bids for government vehicles. These go directly to the manufacturer like Ford or GM. After they consider the bids from the auto makers, they award it to the lowest that meets the criteria. Once that is awarded, not only the feds can use it, but any government agency is allowed to purchase the vehicles at the same cost. States, counties, schools.... all qualify.

Might put a bug in the ears of your commissioners and perhaps have them call over to Otero County and find out how easy it is to save big bucks. The sheriff's dept. probably could have had 3 brand new vehicles for what they paid for that one. wink

It's your tax money.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While they don't like to leave money on the table, low bid wins the day because most government entities (not volunteer FDs!) have to play buy the purchasing rules and even five bucks too high can lose a bid.

I dont know about cars, but not all government entities have to take the lowest bid. In fact, they can be forced to take the highest bid.

If a native Indian woman owns a company that bids on a government project, she can be as much as 15% higher than the highest bid and the gov. will be forced to take her bid. All because of Affirmative Action and other programs like it.

I'm not the expert on this. I quoting my brother, who is an expert on government contracts.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
While they don't like to leave money on the table, low bid wins the day because most government entities (not volunteer FDs!) have to play buy the purchasing rules and even five bucks too high can lose a bid.

I dont know about cars, but not all government entities have to take the lowest bid. In fact, they can be forced to take the highest bid.

If a native Indian woman owns a company that bids on a government project, she can be as much as 15% higher than the highest bid and the gov. will be forced to take her bid. All because of Affirmative Action and other programs like it.

I'm not the expert on this. I quoting my brother, who is an expert on government contracts.

That is correct mostly. Affirmative action. Consideration is given to minorities and women business owners.

With vehicles though, even the dealer doesn't get paid anything but a "courtesy delivery fee".

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman2003

That is correct mostly. Affirmative action. Consideration is given to minorities and women business owners.

With vehicles though, even the dealer doesn't get paid anything but a "courtesy delivery fee".

that's how it was with bridgestone tire, we got a delivery fee, but were able to charge for mount, balance, disposal.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by NH K9
I know you dislike "us" and would enjoy the suffering, but where would I put my dog.... grin

Up top, Romney family style.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.