-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Got a credit card? Hit it with a magnet and then see if it swipes correctly.

If you can read, you can see it coming!

http://www.mtekweaponsystems.com/
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will jack up a magget strip, yeah, but not a bar code.

Sharpie should do that. RFID chip, I dunno..

Plate readers read the alpha/numeric and feed it into a computer which checks everything, warrants, wants, restrictions, etc. Meter maids like dink have been using them for years.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
seems like every one is into looking at your license plate these days. Speeding and red light cameras, plate photo ID on the turnpike, and now plate tracking by the feds.
Any way to block this?
Youtube and Google offer some possible solutions. I hear that Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray paint works best.

Nothing yet to block them that won't get you a ticket for obscured plate(s). The lexan, clear spray paint, tinted covers, etc, all work on the idea of changing the polarity of the image. While they DO change the polarity, the system will identify a dificult-to-read plate and reverse the polarity of the image and, voila (French for "look at this scheit!" grin ) they have your plate.

There's a lot of push-back across the country against LPR technology, but it's too little IMHO.

The next step, if we, the people, succeed in getting these things removed from LE use, is that private companies can still do it and make the information available to anyone who wants it. Pay for it or "donate" it in the name of public service, the issue is still there.
Refer back to Google, et al, collecting data and then turning it over to the NSA.
Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Redneck
Serious question: do these systems read the front plate, or rear? Some states allow plates only on the rear while others mandate both front/rear.

You ought to go through a Border Patrol checkpoint now...

Not only do they have like 12 cameras (facing front and back of the car) and face recognition devices set up, but they check the radiation levels of your vehicle, (you), and have x-ray trucks that can see right through the steel in your car to find whatever they are looking for.

It ain't the good old boy with his drug sniffing dog anymore.
laugh

Well, no WAY will I be goin' through any border checkpoint.. No need. I mainly asked because the design of the new HD I have makes seeing the rear plate a pretty narrow window to use.. Not sure that even a rear-angled cam will pick it up..

In any case, it's no big deal - I stick to back roads anyway and rarely, if ever, get near toll booths, bridges or whatnot..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Not only do they have like 12 cameras (facing front and back of the car) and face recognition devices set up, but they check the radiation levels of your vehicle, (you), and have x-ray trucks that can see right through the steel in your car to find whatever they are looking for.

Back in 2004 when i was exiting Az i had my pickup bed loaded to the gunwales with bullets,brass,primers(160,000),dies and such. Most were in labeled manufacturer's boxes labeled with contents....all uncovered. Behind was my 6'x8'x3' open trailer filled also to the gunwales with my powder cache but covered.
Never had a thought about what i was hauling (even when i passed the westbound Border Patrol station outside of Cruces) but when i spotted the distant BP inspection station there at White Sands Nat'l Park it dawned on me this might be a situation.
It was busy.....lots of cars and vans and pickups.....all slowly inching forward. One car ahead was directed off to the right. Many BP agents present and a dog. The handler and dog went to the car that had been directed off.
When i was approached with the customary citizenship ques i answered USA. The young hispanic agent noticed my NavAir ballcap on the passenger seat and we exchanged vet-to-vet salutations. He walked back to the bed (twin cab) and he could plainly see Winchester,Federal,Remington plus magic marker labels reading Nosler,Sierra,Berger,Speer............
He walked backed and asked where i was headed. I told him my destination and that i was moving.
He nodded and again expressed vet-to-vet compliments and i did the same reminding him to be safe.
I felt fortunate.

Last edited by chapped_lips; 04/18/14.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Redneck
Serious question: do these systems read the front plate, or rear? Some states allow plates only on the rear while others mandate both front/rear.

of course, that stuff is just for the 'mericans. They don't seem to care about the illegal macecans.

I like it when the agents ask me where I've been and where I'm going... laugh

I can get pretty inventive with the replies. wink

I know that feeling and urge. But then I"ve not been anywhere or going anywhere I shouldn't... and don't have time to mess with em.

US Citizens? Yep. Where been? Deer hunting? Get any? A couple. Where going. Home to La Grange. Ok have a safe trip. Thanks and thanks for the job y'all do..... has worked well every time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 52 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.