-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for something not as expensive as a FFP but with Dots to learn with on a 300WSM Fwt at 500 yards and Under...any users out there willing to comment on the Pros & Cons??

What are Bushnell's Warranty & CS to depend on like?? Similar to Vortex/Leupold??
Thanks Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure...that's a big scope to put on a Fwt and a lot of magnification for 500 yds...and a lot of powder to be burning up shooting at targets.

A 2.5x is all the mag you need, but a good match to your rifle might be a fixed Leupold 2 series, light and rugged.

If you want to play with mil-dots, I'd suggest a SWFA 3-9 on a faster twist 223. The 3-9 is a little heavier, but if you're going to be twisting turrets you want them to work. The 6x fixed in their line is equally a good choice.

That 223 combo will pay for the rifle AND the scope with powder and bullet cost savings in one short season...plus saving all the postage shipping the scope back and forth to Bushnell.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks TC, I'll keep your thoughts in mind. A max 2.5 power magnification scope might be a little tough with these 70 year old eyes at 500 yards though no matter what reticle I had in the scope.

I don't own a 223, and probably never will again, since I don't hunt 'yotes and small furry critters...but used to Turkey hunt with a SAKO AI Classic Grade that was hard on turkey necks out to a little past 200 yards with a 2 1/2x8 Leo on top of it, but in a pinch I guess I could use my 260, 270 or a 308 instead of the M70 Winchester WSM if I need that much less recoil reduction.

The WSM kicks less than the M70 Classic 300WMg that it replaced, and needs the load development too...so I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone in the Mildot learning curve, as does the lateset aquisition in a NIB 308 that arrived 2 days ago.... that probably would be my step down caliber and use the same weight bullets....and might actually make more sense....but then My having any Common Sense has never entered into anything before, and almost too late to change now.

Size wise the Bushnell in question is about the same physical size and weight within an ounce in weight and an inch or so in scope length as my current crop of 3x9 Burris FF II's I've had outstanding service from after I dropped all the Leo's I used to own. What caught my attention was that the Bushnell is quite a bit cheaper, smaller and lighter than all of the Vortex HS Vipers I've been looking at replacing the FF II's with too since it time to upgrade one last time.

However you may be onto something with the possiblity of a hefty increase in Postal Fees back and forth if the Bushnell is as bad a performer as you seem to indicate. You never did say whether or not you'd owned one or shot a buddys gun or had any other personal hands on experience with one or not ...and that makes me curious about your opinions on this scope....

If I do decide to go with the cheaper to shoot in less gun powder + less recoil 308, I can save a little bux with a 3x9x40 Sightron S-I in Mildots too, that has a Lifetime Warranty they do stand behind, and not have to pay any Texas State Sales Tax at SWFA either which is aways a good thing for an expendable learning tool.
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 04/23/14.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Optics is a very personal choice. No two people's eyes are the same and mine are far from perfect.

I've been through more than a few Bushnell scopes and I still have a fixed 10x that is an ok scope and hasn't broken yet. It's a better scope than the Sightron S1. The Sightron S1 is a good scope for $100, but at the end of the day it's a $100 scope.

I would consider the entry level scopes for mildots that actually work are the SWFA SS fixed line... 6x, 10x, 12x. Once you decide how much magnification you need, I would start there and if you want something else going forward they are easy to sell.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, that makes sense. I'll take a closer look at them.

SWFA is up the street from my insurance agent's office, and I haven't been to see the new retail store yet, but then it's about 130-140 miles down there. I know from several competitive tac shooters that the SWFA FFP's are highly respected and s'posed to be a bargain...but I am not into 1000+ yard Comp Shoots or the whole Tactical/Suppressor thing that seems to dominate that world....that was my introduction to Mildotss.
Ron

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bumping this old thread to learn more about this scope model.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.