-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After the worst harvest in 22 years....BT, EHD, CWD in the northern heard the MDOC announced harvest limitations of 1 extra permit for antlerless deer in most of the past unlimited quota areas

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This needed to happen worst Deer season that I have had in the last 30 years. I think they went overkill on the doe tags for too long. Then the BT and EHD really wiped them out. I chose not kill any last fall due to lack of deer. And not seeing a shooter buck. I think it will take a few years for a re bound.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Iowa needs to follow suit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well on the bright side (if there is one) the reason of unlimited doe tags for so long is that they needed to thin the deer herd down in a large portion of the state where agricultural prevails. Problem was though these areas produce a lot of trophy size bucks and land owners could get big dollars leasing out hunting rights. Only problem though was that all the trophy hunters would refuse to shoot does because they might scare off the big buck just waiting to come on in at any moment. Yes they have a separate doe season later in the year but none of the trophy hunters would want to come up and shoot one. So mother nature did what needed to be done. Now for folks in the less populated regions in terms of deer numbers, such as in the rough Ozark and boot heel regions where they have been seeing deer populations plummet the last few years really have been hit exceptional hard. The farm rich regions of north central Missouri will rebound well and pretty quick, but other areas will take a while to recover. My .02 on the matter anyway.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not trying to slight the Missouri Department of Whatever y'all call it but I always wonder why they don't do things like we do here in Texas with whitetail deer. Out deer population is healthy and the population grows every year.
I also think the harvest numbers are either steady or grow a little every year also.
Also... I don't remembering anyone ever bitching about whitetail hunting regulations. I'm not saying it hasn't happened here on the Campfire,I just don't remember any complaints.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a long time you had to put in and draw for a doe tag. That changed in the early 90's sometime. Then they went to unlimited tags in most of the Northern units. A lot of folks like me just killed a doe every year or so for the freezer and it made it easier to pass up small bucks because you knew you could always go kill a doe. Then people went crazy trying to get the buck doe ratio to whatever Drury outdoors or Michael Wadell said it needed to be to get great rutting activity and bigger bucks.

In our unit we have a lot of amish and back when we had check stations it was not uncommon to check in 10-12 deer for two or three hunters on opening evening. They have about wiped out the deer in the area they live and are now leasing into other areas for the free meat.

We had a large EHD outbreak in 2012 and then a rough cold winter. I think I saw a total of 10 deer all of last season. My friends who farm a lot of acres hardly saw any deer while harvesting and usually they would see 20-30 head a evening depending on where they were cutting. Hopefully it will rebound but I guess it is still better than what it was 50 years ago. We just got spoiled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is an EHD outbreak?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
For a long time you had to put in and draw for a doe tag. That changed in the early 90's sometime. Then they went to unlimited tags in most of the Northern units. A lot of folks like me just killed a doe every year or so for the freezer and it made it easier to pass up small bucks because you knew you could always go kill a doe. Then people went crazy trying to get the buck doe ratio to whatever Drury outdoors or Michael Wadell said it needed to be to get great rutting activity and bigger bucks.

In our unit we have a lot of amish and back when we had check stations it was not uncommon to check in 10-12 deer for two or three hunters on opening evening. They have about wiped out the deer in the area they live and are now leasing into other areas for the free meat.

We had a large EHD outbreak in 2012 and then a rough cold winter. I think I saw a total of 10 deer all of last season. My friends who farm a lot of acres hardly saw any deer while harvesting and usually they would see 20-30 head a evening depending on where they were cutting. Hopefully it will rebound but I guess it is still better than what it was 50 years ago. We just got spoiled.

very well summed up, i wil add to this though where MDC went wrong in some areas was the unlimited doe permits in areas besides the north central missouri region. some areas should have stayed as a lottery doe permit area in my opinion.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I'm not trying to slight the Missouri Department of Whatever y'all call it but I always wonder why they don't do things like we do here in Texas with whitetail deer. Out deer population is healthy and the population grows every year.
I also think the harvest numbers are either steady or grow a little every year also.
Also... I don't remembering anyone ever bitching about whitetail hunting regulations. I'm not saying it hasn't happened here on the Campfire,I just don't remember any complaints.

Oh don't think TPW hasn't screwed the pooch, and still does at times.
But sometimes lobby groups get what they want, and there is always pressure politically to do things.

The nice thing about nature, it generally rebounds from peoples mistakes in 5 years or so.

I'm just thankful that seemingly TPW doesn't screw up as often as they used to. And has done a LOT better in the management of deer populations and fish populations.

But they are still under pressure from special interest groups on a daily basis to close fishing areas except for other special interest groups and so on.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrotherBart

with all due respect to the MDC (Missouri Department of Conservation)they have for the most part done a fantastic job over the years. things change however and thoughts or opinions change and MDC listens to the people when they can. sometimes though the wrong choice is made but that isn't understood until the damge starts to roll in and then the MDC needs to re-evaluate things as they are doing here. lets not forget no one could have told them that we would have the disease hit like it did.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a sad time in Schuyler County North Missouri

In the past it was dangerous to drive at nite.

Not so these days.

EHD has driven back our heard severely

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I would still like the antlerless portion of the rifle season.....second season......eliminated

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
sounds like they suffered from the same kind of management PA has. kill all the does because the high priced biologists said so. and we now have large portions of the state with very low populations of deer on huntable property, at the same time we have smaller pockets of private ground that are unhuntable and overrun with deer. but hey, at least we got big bucks. if you can find them.

last year was the worst year for deer in 40 years on public ground that i can remember. i am at the point where i won't even shoot a doe on public ground anymore.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I would still like the antlerless portion of the rifle season.....second season......eliminated

I agree, or perhaps make that the youth season. I am not a fan of the youth seasons here, whether it be deer or turkey. I believe there are too many wounded and lost animals and/or too many adults using the kids to get a trophy ahead of all the others.

MO has some kind of deer season running from Sept to Jan, whether it is archery, youth, antler-less, etc..

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad

So does Nebraska!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

So does Nebraska!

Mike

Absolutely Mike!! My unit in central Ne had one of the largest EHD kills in the state two seasons ago which has almost decimated WT populations yet Game and Parks issued an additional 400 doe tags for our unit last year. I've been out there twice this spring and haven't seen one WT but mules seemed to have weathered the storm with fewer losses.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
I agree, or perhaps make that the youth season. I am not a fan of the youth seasons here, whether it be deer or turkey. I believe there are too many wounded and lost animals and/or too many adults using the kids to get a trophy ahead of all the others.

MO has some kind of deer season running from Sept to Jan, whether it is archery, youth, antler-less, etc..

that is as of a bunch of crap like i never heard before. if someone is doing that to take a trophey well then they are going to take it one way or another because illeagal is illeagal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

So does Nebraska!

Mike

AND Wisconsin!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.