-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My surgery was 19 years ago so maybe treatment wasn't as good as now, and it might have been worse than some, but my arm was strapped down, not just in a sling, for 4 weeks.
Aside from the pain, which wasn't so bad after the first 24 hours, the worst thing is learning how bad an armpit can stink after a few days of being tied tight to the body. confused

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Had it done December 10 2012. Wasted 6 months hoping to get better then trying steroid injections, and other crap before they did a shoulder MRI and the Dr. said something like oh crap, see that white stuff? That's a tear and you're not going to heal without surgery. Before surgery I couldn't sleep, put the truck in park, lift my gun to shoot, open a door and a bunch of other less important things.

Get a pain pump where the tube drips the pain killer right on the repair. First couple of days post-op were a blur. Be ready to put in a bunch of rehab on it. The first time the PT asked me to put my arm behind my back and lift as far as I could I thought she was insane. Was told it would take 9 months before I was close to normal but got lucky and got the all clear in 3 months.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funny

Me post op

7 staples in the labrum cuff and all the bones smoothed

6 days later PT and learn to use it again......range movements only

90 days later 50% strength 50% range of motion

5 months out and with lots of work I'm about 90/90

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That won't work. I drive an average of 900 miles a week to inspect losses. confused

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to hire a driver.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well...I keep telling my wife she needs to find a job... grin

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You won't be driving

Or climbing ladders

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
You won't be driving

Or climbing ladders

Ah..yep.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
You won't be driving

Or climbing ladders

So...you're telling me I wasted my money when I signed up for base jumping lessons this spring??? frown

Just found out my boss had his done here by the doc who does these for the US Ski Team. He's getting his other side done in two weeks by the same doc. I know who I'll be going to. laugh

Last edited by luv2safari; 04/24/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am going through the whole deal. I have had 3 orthopedic surgeons examine me, and one says surgery and the other say no.

I have pain in my left shoulder that gets pretty intense when I raise my arm above my shoulder. Also, any time I lift something over 10 pounds or so and release it, I get a sharp pain and numbness down to my fingers.

I have been through the following.

Physical exam.

3 diagnostic cortisone shots in the shoulder.

EMG to test nerves. 3 hours of a neurologist zapping me.

Arthrogram? to test circulation. I saw a vascular surgeon last week!

MRI with Contrast

X Rays

3 months of physical therapy

Now I'm cleared if I want to have surgery but I have a small labral tear, which 2 doctors don't think is significant. My shoulder is impinged, and doctor #1 would like to open up my shoulder by removing some bone and fix the little tear. He said 5 weeks to 6 months recovery time depending on how bad it is. I take care of 3 little old ladies and I probably lift my Mom to transfer her around at least 10 times a day. I'm sleeping on a large ice pack and taking Advil. Some day it's going to be unbearable, I think but I'm holding on as long as I can.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a bone spur from an AC separation heal wrong, and just for Travis the Spoon and Polesmoker's edification, it happened in SERE School. Years later the spur finally started shredding my cuff. They were able to fix mine through the scope. Had it done early in the morning and went home with a morphine pump. Didn't need the pump at all that day until I went to bed, or tried to. I tried to give myself a dose and, because the dumbazz nurse didn't flush the line, all I got was saline every 15min for the next 3hr. It was a long night. I stayed on the dope that day and again that night. Next morning it was just sore as hell, and gradually became less so over the next few months. PT helped but not much. Apley's Scratch Test still showed markedly reduced range of motion with slight impingement even after two months of PT. Just getting back into the gym slowly and doing a LOT of overhead barbell work, IE, presses, and pullups (started using a big huge pallet band under my feet) and I can press 80% of my bodyweight overhead now and do ten pullups. It was nearly a year before I could do a single dip without pain. That was the last area to improve.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks like I may be the most recent surgical case as I had my left one done this past December, right before Christmas. Plenty of pain,take the pills often, don't get behind as it takes forever to catch up and feel better. I had a sling with a block to hold my arm out about 4 inches and a body wrap to hold it all together so the arm couldn't move. I wore that for about a 6 weeks although I was allowed to take it off for short periods around the house. I had some old damage in addition to the damage that I did in November. I ended up with 6 holes in my shoulder compared to the 3 holes in the right from cuff surgery in 2006.

The real big risk is falling and tearing the doc's handiwork out as you try to catch yourself. It's a natural reaction, thus the sling/block to tie the arm down.

Started PT after about a month, went twice a week plus doing the stretching exercises twice a day at home. I went back to work after a month but I drive a desk at work and my wife drove me to work for a couple of weeks.

I'm working with weights and resistance bands now to build strength, I have nearly 100% range of motion. IIRC 6 months to a year after the 2006 surgery on the right shoulder to complete recovery, including being able to heave hay bales above my head.

BTW, I went deer hunting one month after that surgery but used the Redhawk in my left hand and wore the sling/block in case I fell. Doc thought I was nuts (so did my wife) but it's DEER SEASON dammit!

Feel free to PM me.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You went to SERE School??

Who knew.

It's not like you bring it up every other post or anything.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
Looks like I may be the most recent surgical case as I had my left one done this past December, right before Christmas. Plenty of pain,take the pills often, don't get behind as it takes forever to catch up and feel better. I had a sling with a block to hold my arm out about 4 inches and a body wrap to hold it all together so the arm couldn't move. I wore that for about a 6 weeks although I was allowed to take it off for short periods around the house. I had some old damage in addition to the damage that I did in November. I ended up with 6 holes in my shoulder compared to the 3 holes in the right from cuff surgery in 2006.

The real big risk is falling and tearing the doc's handiwork out as you try to catch yourself. It's a natural reaction, thus the sling/block to tie the arm down.

Started PT after about a month, went twice a week plus doing the stretching exercises twice a day at home. I went back to work after a month but I drive a desk at work and my wife drove me to work for a couple of weeks.

I'm working with weights and resistance bands now to build strength, I have nearly 100% range of motion. IIRC 6 months to a year after the 2006 surgery on the right shoulder to complete recovery, including being able to heave hay bales above my head.

BTW, I went deer hunting one month after that surgery but used the Redhawk in my left hand and wore the sling/block in case I fell. Doc thought I was nuts (so did my wife) but it's DEER SEASON dammit!

Feel free to PM me.

Dale

Had my surgery the day before Thanksgiving

One week then PT

Ice Ice Ice

It worked better than the pills for my pain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ill be joining the club soon. Had an MRI last week and go in on Wed. Thanks for letting me know what to expect (I guess).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.