Print Thread
Hop To
#8807193 04/24/14
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I am almost as big a fan for Leupolds as I am Winchester pre 64 mod 70's but in the last week I have had 2 small issues with their mounts, I am on a DualDovetail mount kick as of late, they just look great on my pre 64's and in the past have been strong as a Brahman bull but I have had the dovetail break off as I was putting even pressure turning it in with a 1 inch wooden rod, no biggie I bet bass pro will make it good, today as I was getting ready to test my std, 62' vintage 300 win mag I noticed the front base was cracked from front base mount hole to front of the base, I torque em well and have a good feel for torque after many years of servicing PT6 engines on my Airtractor cropdusters, have any of you guys had same type problems, Im wondering if they got a bad batch of steel in ? very best WinPoor

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Anything mechanic or machined can break. My thought is to get a Wheeler torque wrench and remove all doubts about your strength.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/24/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just installed a set on a M70...went on slick with no issues. I use the Ring Wrench.

Often wondered if they ever crack but I have not bumped into that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I am almost as big a fan for Leupolds as I am Winchester pre 64 mod 70's but in the last week I have had 2 small issues with their mounts, I am on a DualDovetail mount kick as of late, they just look great on my pre 64's and in the past have been strong as a Brahman bull but I have had the dovetail break off as I was putting even pressure turning it in with a 1 inch wooden rod, no biggie I bet bass pro will make it good, today as I was getting ready to test my std, 62' vintage 300 win mag I noticed the front base was cracked from front base mount hole to front of the base, I torque em well and have a good feel for torque after many years of servicing PT6 engines on my Airtractor cropdusters, have any of you guys had same type problems, Im wondering if they got a bad batch of steel in ? very best WinPoor

I noticed my new set of DD's were tight as hell. I was worried I'd snap the plastic ring wrench or break the ring. I have another set on order and am curious to see how those work out. I'm hoping I don't run into any problems with those sick .. The ones that were tight as mother Teresa have the "L" stamped on the top of them..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Ive had 3 sets with the L in them. look sharp, I have a 200 dollar snap on torque wrench 1/4 and a 3/8 " drive. either the Winchester was not machined right or the base had more concave than front ring of receiver. Im leaning toward base. no biggie, was just strange that the only failure Ive had in 35 years of Leupold has happened in last week not once bur twice. very best winpoor

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now I'm worried!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek . Wish me luck on mine..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Haven't installed any lately but, in the past have used a very light coating of white lithium grease on the dovetail before turning it in.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have some of that, I will try it next, You are the fellow that got me on the DD's ,I did have them on another gun as I used to go with what was available at home, we have a new Bass Pro 45 miles away now and my gunsmith,FFL guy is there as well so that is what Ive used on last 6 pre 64's.I love the smooth lines.very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Haven't installed any lately but, in the past have used a very light coating of white lithium grease on the dovetail before turning it in.

That's a good suggestion. Does Leupold recommend that??

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Believe that they do recommend....know that I read it somewhere. Rings turn in without all that friction....easier on the bluing too.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks pocono. I'll have mine tomorrow and I'll do that..

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Should I take my bad mounts and rings back to Bass Pro or ship to Leuopold ? very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Should I take my bad mounts and rings back to Bass Pro or ship to Leuopold ? very best WinPoor

Either would work. Bass pro is 45 miles away so you'll be burning up fuel. If you ship to Leupold, you'd be spending approx $5.00. However, That option would take longer.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well is was not a problem with Winchesters mod 70 front ring as I just put a new DD on the front and torqued it the very same, no crack! and the contour fits,matches the receiver!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I use RIG.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gotter done...All's well...I used my Tetra gun grease..

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a pry bar and brute strength

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I figured that much... whistle

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Bingo. Same here when I was using them.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.