Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Sometime back I actually did acquire a National Postal Meter M1. Need to shoot it one of these days. The good bullets designed for it are not easy to find, however.

I think one outfit has now got an AR lower which can use grease gun magazines in .45 ACP, which are still fairly easy to buy. Combined with an appropriate .45 ACP upper, one would gain decent velocity and power, and still have a fairly handy weapon.

friend of mine locally owns a gun store. He had about ten boxes of m1carbine ammo, headstamped 1942, 30buck a box. I should have bought it all, as the carbine was one of my first collection addictions.
You trip accross it but have to look, cmp sometimes sells it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have spoken to them and when a 1911 is built correctly it is extremely trouble free.

It all comes down to everything being held to a strict specification. The 1911 of today suffers from the same issue that plagues a lot of IBM compaitble PC's, and that is; none of them (with the exception of the Taurus) are 100% built by one builder.

The original military 1911 actually required very little hand fitting of parts, and it was more than sufficiently reliable. That's because the US Military's requirements for holding spec bordered on oppressive.

When I worked on surplus 1911's, we had several thousand that needed re-finishing. All were stripped of parts, all the parts were thrown into bins with no concern about keeping the parts with the original gun (something I protested, but I lost that protest). Then guns were randomly assembled form bins of parts. The only part that gave us consistent problems was the safety; everything else just dropped in, and the guns worked perfectly. Really quite amazing when you think about it.

But we don't have that kind of uniformity today. That's why so many parts are made oversized and now require so much hand fitting.

So in some ways, the 1911 is better than ever, but in other ways the design has regressed.

So it's harder to be a military armorer for 1911's today than it was in WW II.

My cousin said he still would rather work in 1911's all day long than M9's. And he had a rather passionate hatred for the Sig 228. The 228 is a great pistol, unitl you tear the lower down; then you think it was designed by a mad man.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
Some of you 1911 fans need to talk to some real armorers. Not gun queers. Not hobbyists. I mean guys that stand in a room and fix broken schit for 8 hours a day.

Travis

I have spoken to them and when a 1911 is built correctly it is extremely trouble free.

You guys must have spoken to different armorers than I have.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[/quote]My cousin was a Marine armorer who served in Iraq. He found the 1911 preferable to work on over the M9. [/quote]

I love my M9's. That said, they have a LOT of parts. If you've ever watched the video of one of Beretta's top armorers at Beretta Italy doing a complete disassembly and reassembly, you'd see what I mean. The process is something beautiful to watch, though.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[/quote]My cousin was a Marine armorer who served in Iraq. He found the 1911 preferable to work on over the M9.

I love my M9's. That said, they have a LOT of parts. If you've ever watched the video of one of Beretta's top armorers at Beretta Italy doing a complete disassembly and reassembly, you'd see what I mean. The process is something beautiful to watch, though. [/quote]

Things get real exciting when a locking block breaks. It's a two man job with the gun in a vise to get the slide to open. Chuck the gun in the vise, one guy takes a hammer and a pin punch to drive the locking lugs down out of the slide, while the other pulls back on the slide.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Some of you 1911 fans need to talk to some real armorers. Not gun queers. Not hobbyists. I mean guys that stand in a room and fix broken schit for 8 hours a day.

Travis

You guys must have spoken to different armorers than I have.

Travis

If one states differently IMHO and experience he doesn't completely understand the 1911 design criteria. There are certainly brands of 1911's that are POS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by richardca99

Personally, I find a Glock 17 in .357 SIG to be about the best combo available (one lives in my nightstand), but you couldn't teach 75% of active duty personnel to shoot that cartridge well.

Agreed, but that would be the Glock 31, except in a REAL Caliber wink

I've got one that lives on my night stand with a Streamlight Lazer / Light Combo on it.

The mid sized version, the Glock 32 lives in the console of my F-250.

Right...sorry. Confused my Glocks...the 31.

what is the difference between a 357 Sig and a 357 magnum ?????

norm

My non-expert answer: the 357 Sig was meant to replicate the 357 magnum ballistics with a 125-grain bullet with a rather fast burning powder. IOW, spit that pill at about 1400 fps. I believe that the heaviest bullet in in a commercial Sig loading is 147-grain at ~ 1200 fps. Heavier than that, I don't think the Sig can keep up with a 357 magnum and slower powders and a longer revolver barrel.

However, I can say with the light bullet loading, I can pick out a dinner plate-sized target at a hundred yards and scare it badly with my P226. For a pistol loading it's quite flat shooting. I haven't fired any of the 147-grain loads but they should be as good depending on the pistol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
However, I can say with the light bullet loading, I can pick out a dinner plate-sized target at a hundred yards and scare it badly with my P226. For a pistol loading it's quite flat shooting. I haven't fired any of the 147-grain loads but they should be as good depending on the pistol.
She is a flat shooting little sucker, that's for sure.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If one states differently IMHO and experience he doesn't completely understand the 1911 design criteria. There are certainly brands of 1911's that are POS

The ones I have spoken to understand and appreciate the design.

They simply see them come across their bench more than other designs.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That could suggest a lot of operator error as well Travis

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was in 2nd Armor Division
HELL ON WHEELS in 1974 we were issued a 45 caliber pistol.
The women WAC's were given 38 special revolvers.
Maybe the thinking was that the enemy soldiers the women might encounter would not be determined warriors?
whelennut

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
thought i would take a picture of this, off topic but the m1carbine has been mentioned in this thread:
Lake City 1942 head stamp m1carbine .30 ball, in the original unopened boxes. First year production i think as the carbine came into existence around then. Bet it still works
[Linked Image]

whats interesting is four boxes of this would fit in a small fanny pack/200rounds

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/23/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gitem_12
That could suggest a lot of operator error as well Travis

Operator error is one of many realities a pistol faces.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by GeoW
Our forces have been pussified to the point that they can't physically handle a weapon that worked well for close to seventy five years.

Go figure.
Bullchit. I trained with people from SEAL team 2 in the early 1990's. I've trained with guys who were from 2nd Ranger BN back then also. And I've trained just a couple of years ago with a US Army Reserve unit. And I'm here to tell you, from what I saw, the Army Reserve unit of today, would wipe the floor with Spec-Ops soldiers of days past.

Just my observation, YMMV

I guess you didn't think about the queer and women soldiers and sailors who can't rack the slide let alone qualify with a 45.

Get shed of the non combat trash in the military and go back to the 45 ACP..

Out of curiosity, for what outfit did you serve?

My mileage does vary.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was in the 501st CAB, a medic, radio operator.. I think my unit was across the road from Whelennut, but I might be wrong, don't remember.
I wish I'd had a 1911 then. Today it is my favorite hand gun.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The ones I have spoken to understand and appreciate the design.

They simply see them come across their bench more than other designs.

Travis

I'd venture that those that come across their bench weren't correctly fitted to begin with. That is a curse of the 1911 they need proper fitting and usually that means a bit of hand fitting which drive the cost up. The marines claim that they stayed with the 1911 because of their trouble free ability through thousands of rounds.
I have my 1911's checked for proper fitting before I put many rounds through them and have zero issues that way.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (338reddog, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.