Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've put a scope in my carry on bag before. The TSA agent said that while not illegal, it wasn't a good idea and suggested I avoid doing that in the future.

I think he gave me good advice and I plan on following it.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not worth the potential hassles. Pack them in your gun case and avoid the confusion. It most likely not the way you want to start your long travel day.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If your rifle case is lost, an extra scope in your carry on won't be of much use. Put it in the hard case.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would carry the scope in the rifle case.

On my recent trip, I used my Tuffpak. My binoculars and rangefinder and other hunting gear also rode in the Tuffpak.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
To be safe I have always packed my extra scopes with my rifles. I would hate for the TSA goons to confiscate or have to go through the hassle of getting my checked luggage back to repack.

IC B2

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I'm assuming your concern is carrying the scope through screening in Africa. I didn't have any problems carrying a rifle scope in my carryon luggage in the U.S., it was in South Africa that it almost became a problem. The scope was a gift requested by a PH for a friend of mine already back in the States.

An x-ray operator screening my carryon luggage prior to my flight from J-burg to Eastern Cape went bug-eyed when she saw it on her screen. The other two screeners were busy with another passenger so I just mentioned to the x-ray operator that I attached it to one of my cameras that were also in the bag. She looked at me, shrugged, and let it go. I know that the other two screeners would have seized the scope and probably but me through everything including a full body search including body cavities. I won't do that again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am curious. Why would you even WANT to carry your scope in your carry-on. I have never even removed my scope from the rifle in any of my trips. My guncases have always had room in them to accommodate a spare scope in a mailing tube with foam. Just curious ,don't wish to start a big discussion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my case I wasn't carrying a gun case, I was transporting a rifle scope, and didn't want to put it in my checked luggage. I normally carry all my optics in my carry-on.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Maybe I got lucky, but I took two scopes NIB to my PH in my baggage and I carried on my Binos and range finder. Had the binos and range finder both of which were on my 4457 and no one ask about them either way. They were only interested in my rifle serial number that it was the same one. What a goat rope going through all the customs and ag stuff there in Atlanta. Biggest issue was how long the lines took. Quicker and easier to get things through in Jo'berg.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.