Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You get the government you vote for.

A couple in Glendora is complying with new regulations to cut back on outdoor watering to avoid a $500 fine for wasting water. They just got informed by the city that they'll be fined $500 if they don't water their brown lawn to be in compliance with city regulations. How do you reply to such stupidity?

LOS ANGELES � Laura Whitney and her husband, Michael Korte, don't know whether they're being good citizens during a drought or scofflaws.

On the same day the state approved mandatory outdoor watering restrictions with the threat of $500 fines, the Southern California couple received a letter from their city threatening a $500 penalty for not watering their brown lawn.

It's brown because of their conservation, which, besides a twice-a-week lawn watering regimen, includes shorter showers and larger loads of laundry.

They're encouraged by the state's new drought-busting, public service slogan: Brown is the new green.

The city of Glendora sees it differently.

"Despite the water conservation efforts, we wish to remind you that limited watering is still required to keep landscaping looking healthy and green," says the letter, which gives Korte and Whitney 60 days to restore their lawn.

They're among residents caught in the middle of conflicting government messages as the need for conservation clashes with the need to preserve attractive neighborhoods.

"My friends in Los Angeles got these letters warning they could be fined if they water, and I got a letter warning that I could be fined for not watering," Whitney said. "I felt like I was in an alternate universe."

Despite the drought, Californians have increased their water use by 1 percent in May compared with previous years, according to a state survey of water providers. To combat perceived complacency, the state water board voted this week to require water agencies to adopt emergency drought plans and authorized fines of up to $500 a day for water wasters.

The board's chairwoman, Felicia Marcus, said "a brown lawn should be a badge of honor because it shows you care about your community." But several homeowners are reporting that a dried-up lawn instead attracts the wrath of their community.

Homeowners associations can't punish residents for scaling back on landscaping under an executive order signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in April and a bill awaiting his signature. While both measures are silent on fines imposed by local governments, the governor's office condemned moves that punish drought-conscious Californians.

"These efforts to conserve should not be undermined by the short-sighted actions of a few local jurisdictions, who chose to ignore the statewide crisis we face, the farmers and farmworkers losing their livelihoods, the communities facing drinking water shortages and the state's shrinking reservoirs," said Amy Norris, a spokeswoman for the California Environmental Protection Agency, in a written statement.

Local officials say conserving water and maintaining healthy landscaping are not mutually exclusive goals. They caution that even in times of water shortages, residents shouldn't have free rein to drive down property values, and they can use drought-resistant landscaping or turf removal programs to meet local standards.

"During a drought or non-drought, residents have the right to maintain their landscaping the way they want to, so long as it's aesthetically pleasing and it's not blighted," said Al Baker, president of the California Association of Code Enforcement Officers.

Anaheim resident Sandra Tran, 47, said she started installing drought-resistant landscaping after receiving violation notices from Orange County Public Works. She spent more than $600 on the changes as the agency mandated she water and maintain her yard in "a healthy green condition."

Yet as Tran drives home from work, she sees signs flashing on the freeway urging her to conserve water.

"It's almost crazy because one agency is telling you one thing and another is forcing you to do the opposite," she said.

Democratic Assemblywoman Cheryl Brown introduced a bill that would have prohibited local governments from imposing fines, but she dropped AB1636 after cities in her district promised not to penalize homeowners for brown lawns during a drought emergency.

Brown was shocked when she heard the practice continued elsewhere in the state, and said she would consider reviving her bill in 2015.

"It seems to me those cities aren't using common sense," Brown said. "It's too bad you need a law."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Watering restrictions are on a jurisdictional basis. The state does not regulate cities or water districts. They only regulate state lands and probably leases. It is up to Golden State Water to impose regulations and sanctions. The city needs to get on the same page as GSW.

Last edited by smarquez; 07/18/14.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This one is imposed by Sacramento. WATER

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry brother, Scott beat you to it...and no, I did not get the government that I voted for,

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know, instead of blaming California... ya need to blame the people who come up with this crap, who are self centered enough, they think THEIR laws and needs are MORE IMPORTANT than some other department's wants and needs...

in other words... Democrats....

Circle jerk style of government...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
read my 1st sentence in the OP.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nothing that some green paint can't fix.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
read my 1st sentence in the OP.

yeah I saw it... and NOT everyone votes for the government and candidates that end up in control....

I certainly didn't support, much vote for, the AfroDickhead in the White House....but I am sure getting the government I didn't ask for...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RC, even if you explain, they still won't understand.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I fully understand 700.

I'm pissed and completely miserable about the fact that I am surrounded by complete [bleep] that are aggressively trying to destroy my life as I watch these idiots happily and willfully signing away their freedoms.

I am in a position that currently won't let me leave though, at least not yet.

On the other hand it could certainly be worse.
I could live in some subdivision in a state that has no mountains, no great fishing, no public land, and very few hunting opportunities for a working stiff like me.

California hasn't completely destroyed my way of life yet, though I am fully aware the key word in that statement is the word "yet".

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
busting California up into smaller political units seems to make more and more sense.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's amazing how odd folks are the closer they are to I5

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
busting California up into smaller political units seems to make more and more sense.

Overburdened California taxpayers can barely afford the infrastucture the liberals have built now much let alone be able to pay for 6 of them. I remember when Pete Wilson got elected and to teach the CHP a lesson for not backing him in the election, he tried to change their name to something less glamorous (remember at the time there was a show on tv CHiPs). It was going to cost billions of dollars just to change the hwy signs, decals on the vehicles and DMV handbooks. Does anyone really think California still has the money to become six separate states because one egotistical billionaire wants to live in the state of "Silicone Valley"? The six states would have to hit the ground with their feet running. They could not start over and would have to adopt existing state law, thereby staying exactly what they are now. Over regulated and overtaxed.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by California_Kid

Overburdened California taxpayers can barely afford the infrastucture the liberals have built now much let alone be able to pay for 6 of them. I remember when Pete Wilson got elected and to teach the CHP a lesson for not backing him in the election, he tried to change their name to something less glamorous (remember at the time there was a show on tv CHiPs). It was going to cost billions of dollars just to change the hwy signs, decals on the vehicles and DMV handbooks. Does anyone really think California still has the money to become six separate states because one egotistical billionaire wants to live in the state of "Silicone Valley"? The six states would have to hit the ground with their feet running. They could not start over and would have to adopt existing state law, thereby staying exactly what they are now. Over regulated and overtaxed.

Nonsense. I discuss this often with a colleague of mine in NorCal. You could just adopt Nevada / Idaho law as you see fit, and actually be off running.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
then I suppose the alternative is to do nothing, and just let the entire state, the good along with the bad, get flushed down the toilet.
Yawn, no big loss to me, but y'all gotta live there.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It would add 10 members to the US senate. We're in enough trouble already without adding a pack of new Democrats. Any guesses as to what the final count would be?

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by California_Kid

Nonsense. I discuss this often with a colleague of mine in NorCal. You could just adopt Nevada / Idaho law as you see fit, and actually be off running.

What part do you think is nonsense? To adopt Nevada/Idaho laws as you see fit would take a tremendous amount of time and money. Meanwhile every inmate in jail would be appealing his sentence because it may no longer be illegal to do what they did or may have less of a sentence attached. These appeals would of course be paid by the taxpayer. Inmates would sue because they were not being incarcerated in the "same state" their families are in. What ever state LOs Angeles fell into may not have but 1 prison (Lancaster) to incarcerate 40% of the state inmates. I love the people who think this is no big deal. Discussed with your college? I lived in and worked for the State of California for almost 30 years. Dream on.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I've suggested before, just split the state in half.
Starting just above San Francisco draw a line at say a 45 to 60 angle degree south east to eastern border.
Voila, Northern California and southern California.
That would let liberal nirvana flourish and destroy itself in the south while conservative north could undo and restore itself to sanity.
North will keep control of the water&ag south can have Hollywood & silicon valley.
Let natural selection prevail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can do that, but Northern CA will be an awful poor state relying on Fed aid, muck like AK. I would rather see the whole state crash and force the liberals to come to terms with their failures.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
295 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.