Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
FS: used books on outdoor sports, adventure/exploration, military history and aviation topics.

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIPS. I DON'T do PayPal or credit cards but do take cash, personal checks, and all MOs.

To order a book or books put an "I'll take book(s) #____" ON THIS THREAD as a "reply." I'll acknowledge your purchase on this thread, mark the item(s) sold on the ad, and PM you my "legal" first name and address for payment. I try to ship the mail day after I get paid.

IT WOULD REALLY HELP if buyers would identify the themselves by their Campfire "handle" and/or list the books they bought on their payment. Saves me doing detective work to make sure I'm sending the right books to the right person--I'm not a great detective....

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE!

Military history topics

1) "The Hornet's Sting: The Untold Story of WWII Spy Thomas Sneum" by Mark Ryan. SPF

2) "Double Cross: the True Story of the D-Day Spies" by Ben MacIntyre. SPF

3) "My War" by Andy Rooney, foreword by Tom Brokaw. Memoir by the "60 Minutes" commentator and journalist's of his service as a combat correspondent in WWII. Bomber missions against Germany, post-D-Day fighting in Europe, the liberation of Paris and crossing of the Rhine, witnessing the stark realities of Nazi rule. Quality PB 347 pp. exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos and maps. $5

4) "The Face of Battle" by John Keegan. Famous British military historian and WWI veteran's study of three historic battles from Agincourt in 1415 to Waterloo in 1815 to The Somme in 1916, seeking to discover the common features they share. Studies all aspects of large-scale combat and human behavior at all levels within it. Plain English. HB 355 pp exc/new cond illus w/b/w photos, maps. $7

5) "Pegasus Bridge" by Stephen Ambrose. On D-Day British paratroopers and glidermen grabbed key bridges behind the beachhead to stop Nazi panzer reinforcements from hitting our foothold in France. A daring and successful Allied airborne raid. Quality PB 238 pp. exc/new cond illus w/b/w photos and maps. $5

6) "Weapons of World War II" by Alexander Ludeke. SPF

7) "The Wolf: How One German Raider Terrorized the Allies in the Most Epic Voyage of WWI" by Richard Guilliott and Peter Hohner. SPF

8) "The Siege of Petersburg: An Album of the Final Campaign of the War" by Civil War Times eds. and staff. "Civil War Times" magazine's special edition on America's first prolonged experience of trench warfare, the Union siege of the Confederate fortress of Petersburg, the key to Richmond. Exhaustive details of the seige, the "Crater," and the end of the campaign. 8 1/2x 11" softbound 50 pp. exc. cond. w/some minor cover wear, illus w/many b/w photos, sepiatones, action mapes, and repros of paintings and magazine illustrations of the times. $4

Military Aviation topics

9) "Flyboys" by James Bradley. SPF

10) "50 Mission Crush" by Lt. Col. Donald R Currier, USAF (ret.). WWII B-24 navigator's memoir of his 1944-45 campaign of 50 bombing missions over Nazi Europe. Heavy aerial action--Currier's bomb group lost 63 B-24s in the first 6 months in action. Trade pocket PB 187 pp exc. reading cond. illus w/b/w photos and maps. $3 (great lunch break or airplane trip reading!

11) " Warplanes of the Second World War, V. 10 Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft" by William Greene. Volume of the well-known series that discribes the Henschel, Junkers, and Messerschmidt (!) bombers and recon aircraft, including the HS-129 tank buster, the JU-86, 87 "Stuka," JU-88, and experimental and prototype planes by all three makers. Tons of technical data, operational histories, and many historic b/w photos and plates. Pocket HB 189 pp exc cond. text and pics, worn/torn dust jacket. $6

12) "Attack and Interceptor Jets: The World's Greatest Aircraft" by Michael Sharpe. Pocket-sized reference covers most military jets from WWII to the F-22 "Raptor" including many jet trainers, bombers, and transports, not just fighter/attack types as the title implies. Each has a full-color plate of a serving aircraft, plus a short development and service history and complete specs--2 pages per aircraft. Softbound 320 pp. exc/new cond. with glossary and index. $6

13) "History of the Royal Air Force" by Michael Sharpe. compact history from WWI thru the First Gulf War. Easy to read and inclusive history w/90+ b/w and color photos and 14 full-color plates of historic RAF aircraft. PB 96 pp. new cond. $4

Civil Aviation adventures

14) "The Cannibal Queen: An Aerial Odyssey Across America" by Steven Coontz. Coontz, best known for military aviation thrillers like "The Flight of the Intruder" and a naval aviation Vietnam combat vet, tours the US with his son in the summer of '91 in a restored WWII Stearman biplane trainer "The Cannibal Queen." Mainly about classic planes and the people who rebuild and fly them, all over America. HB 3434 pp. exc/new cond. w/slight dust jacket wear, illus w/color photos and map. $6

15) "Jungle Pilot: The Story of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador" by Russell T. Hitt. SPF

Outdoor Adventure and Exploration titles

16) "Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, Vols. I and II" by John L. Stephens. SPF

17) "My Way of Becoming a Hunter" by Robert Rockwell. Autobiography of a the taxidermist who prepared many of the famous mounted mammals in the Smithsonian museums, many hunted by himself or the Roosevelt expeditions. Rockwell was also a sculptor who created many famous bronze wildlife figures owne by President Eisenhower, among others. Narrates safaris to Africa, Alaska, and the South Atlantic in the 1920s and later. HB 295 pp. exc. cond. w/worn/torn dust jacekt, illus w/g/w photos. $6

18) "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood" by Alexandria Fuller. SPF

19) "California Badmen: Mean Men With Guns" by William Secrest. California wasn't always the home of the Silver Screen and aromatherapy! Six detailed histories of California badmen as bad as any. By a noted historian of Western lawmen and law breakers. Quality PB 243 pp. exc/new cond. but with a few short yellow "highlights," illus. w/b/w photos, maps, and repros of documents and contemp illustrations. $6

20) "Along the Trail with Lewis and Clark, 2nd Ed." by Barbara Fifer and Vicky Soderberg. "Quite simply, the best guide book to the Lewis and Clark Trail" according to Stephen Ambrose, the author of "Undaunted Courage." Traces the WHOLE expedition from Monticello and the White House to the Pacific and back. Detailed maps of "then" and "now," what to see, wee to stay, and "what happened HERE" for each stop along the way. Softbound 8 1/2x11" 216 pp. exc. cond. w/very slight edge wear, illus w/many colored maps. $7

21) "The Treasure Hunter" by Robin Moore and Howard Jennings. Thriller writer soldier,and adventurer Moore ("The Green Berets") and professional treasure hunter Jennings recount Jennings' adventures in South America and the Caribbean seeking pirate and Spanish and Inca treasures. Nine expeditions, some successful, some not. Gold, emeralds, blood, sweat, etc. HB 270 pp. exc. cond. w/no dust jacket, illus w/b/w photos and maps. $6

22) "On All Sides Nowhere: Building a Life in Rural Idaho" by William Gruber. Urban Eastern grad student moves to the Idaho Panhandle in 1972 and builds a new life for himself and his family in Alder Creek. His prize-winning account of those seven years--the surprising inhabitants, human and otherwise, and learning to cope. And even enjoy. Quality PB 140 pp. exc. ond. but library discard stamp on title page. $4

23) "The Tree Farm: The Rebirth of a Forest and a Family" by Robert Treuer. Classic recounting of the creation of a forest on a worn-out farm in northern Minnesota, starting in the late 1950s and told in the late 1970s. A family and a community pull together to create and protect. HB 255 pp. exc. reading cond w/worn dust jacket, illus w/original pencil drawings. $5

Ourdoor Sports and DIY

24) "The Advanced Deer Hunter's Bible" by John Weiss. Deer hunting "manual" based onknowing the biogy, sensory abilities,and behaviors of whitetails. Shows how to base your hunting strategies around that knowledge. Includes using scents, rattling, and decoys. For both gun and bow hunters. Softbound 8x10" 196 pp. exc. cond illus w/over 200 b/w photos and drawings. $6

25) "The NRA Hunter's Guide" by eds. of NRA Publications. SPF

26) The North American Waterfowler" by Paul Bernson. SPF

27) "Bears and Other Carnivores" by eds. of Time Life Books. Volume of "The Wild, Wild World of Animals" series that focuses on non-feline carnivores: bears (and pandas) wolves and other "wild dogs," hyenas, and the weasel family and its many forms. Species descriptions and statistics, color photos and line drawings, plus historic articles and stories by writers like John Muir, William Faulkner, Farley Mowat, Mark Twain, and others. HB 9x11" 128 pp. very good reading cond. w/clean text and illustrations but minor flyleaf separation and no dust jacket. A great learning resource and for reading stories aloud. $5

28) "Where There's Smoke, There's Flavor--Real Barbecue, the Tastier Alternative to Grilling" by Richard Langer. Everything you need to know about how to turn your backyard grill into a smoke cooker that makes REAL 'cue! Quality PB 275 pp. exc. cond. illus w/more than 100 recipes and drwings of smokers, food and spices. $6

29) "Boat Maintenance: The Essential Guide to Cleaning, Painting, and Cosmetics" by William M. Burr, Jr. A 40-year career veteran chemical engineer anavid boater's manual on maintaining all the surfaces on your boat, not just the ones you can see! Detailed DIY, recommendations on what products touse for specific tasks, planning checklists, etc. burr spent the first year of his retirement selling marine coating products as research for this book. HB 8x10" 175 pp. new cond. (International Marine Publishing) illus w/many tables, charts, diagrams, and checklists. $7

30) "Kayak: the Animated Manual of Intermediate and advanced Whitewater Technique" by William Nealy. Advanved kayaker shows how to do all the whitewater "moves" and strategies for running various types of rapids, plus river rescue techniques. And it's all done with PICTURES and supporting text--"time-lapse" cartoons of what to do and when to do it. Softbound 9x10" 175 pp. exc. reading cond. w/minor cover wear (but no water stains!). $5

Thanks for reading my long posting! DON'T FORGET TO TAKE $1 OFF ANY BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 07/20/14.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Were you going to list them or do we guess? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry: my fingers don't want to obey what's left of my brain today. Hope this helps.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take books #16 "Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, Vols. I and II" and #26 "The North American Waterfowler" for $9.00 & ($7.00 - $1.00) = $15.00.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll take book(s) #9 & #18" ON THIS THREAD

IC B2

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #16 and 26 SPF to ROMAC

Books #9 and 18 SPF to PHWILLIE

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs on the way to both of you ASAP.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take #1, 2, 6, 7, & 15.

add #25 too.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 07/20/14.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 1,2,6,7,15, and 25 SPF to Ramblin Razorback. Thanks for buying again!

PM on the way to you.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Bumpo primero

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Tuesday bump

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hump Day bump

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thursday bump

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hello Mike,

I'll take #'s 14, 22 and 28 this time.

rudyc PM sent

It's a good day for something.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hi, Rudy--thanks for buying again!

Books #14, 22, and 28 SPF to rudyc. PM on the way.

Mike Armsrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Hi Mike

I'll take number 20 if it is still available.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #20 SPF to Idared. Thanks for buying again! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will take 3,4,5,10 & 19 if still available. If I did the math right, that is $22. PM me your address and I will get a check out.

Thanks,

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.