Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
link to story
Cops: Vendor shoots woman at Pennsylvania gun show

The Columbia County district attorney's office will determine whether the vendor, Geoffrey Hawk, will face criminal charges stemming from the shooting Saturday at the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds, Officer Brad Sharrow said.

Hawk, 44, of Warminster, didn't immediately return calls Sunday to his cellphone and business, In Case of Emergency Enterprises. He was manning a booth for his business at the Eagle Arms Gun show at the time of the shooting.

Hawk told police he thought the gun was unloaded when he demonstrated a concealed-carry wallet holster to the woman, Krista Gearhart, 25, of Orangeville. Gearhart was treated and released for a thigh wound at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville.

Hawk told police he had done the same demonstration about 20 times without incident before the shooting, "racking" the gun's slide to clear it of bullets each time, Sharrow said. Somehow, the gun was loaded when Gearhart was shot.

Police said Hawk told them he had left the gun on display when he completed background checks on some customers and believes it's possible someone loaded the gun when he was busy.

Joel Koehler, the gun show organizer, said Hawk was asked to close his booth and leave the show, which continued Sunday. The show has an entrance sign that says "No Loaded Weapons" and Koehler said his staff checks all guns to ensure they are unloaded before they are brought in for display.

Koehler said Saturday's shooting was the first at any show he has held at the fairgrounds or anywhere else.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Inexcusable.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Inexcusable.

Yep, the guy's a dunce.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you check each time before demonstration, as he claims, how could he have missed it? Even if someone loaded it while he wasn't looking. Me thinks his story is skewed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The number of dumbasses I see at Gun Shows nowadays never ceases to amaze me. Patrons AND Vendors!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Come on guys we all know that guns load themselves and shoot themselves. It happens all the time.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I wouldn't rule out some deviant slipping a round into a gun then walking off just to see what happens.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If guns can kill people they can certainly load themselves.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
I wouldn't rule out some deviant slipping a round into a gun then walking off just to see what happens.

No one slipped anything. chlinstructor summed it up. The same applies to public ranges.

Last edited by rlott; 07/20/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i do gun shows. people do slip rounds in to guns on vendors tables. a friend had a rare shotgun on his table and i bet 20 people looked at that gun saturday and sunday morning he cut the wire tie that was on the gun so a guy could check the bore and the guy pumped a round out on the floor. vendor had cut 3-4 ties off the gun and retied it when guys wanted to look at it closer on saturday.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What's to stop an anti from slipping a round in a chamber at a gunshow? They need statistics to push their agenda. I would check every weapon someone had their hands on before I put it back on the rack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would check every weapon someone had their hands on before I put it back on the rack.

Yes, and that don't mean racking it, it means looking in the chamber. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bugs the crap out of me when a vendor tries to hand me a gun he/she didn't check the chamber on first. I make it a point to follow what I've been taught, check the chamber for them and make sure not to buy from them. Following simple rules could have prevented this even if some jerk slipped a round in it.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was at that gun show but left before the incident. I found out about it later that day. Four rules fellas.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always stick my little finger into the chamber on any firearm I pick up.

One time, just one time, I opened the magazine on an SKS, dropped all the rounds into my hand, put them in my pocket, and cycled the bolt three times. When the bolt closed the third time I pointed the rifle into the air and pulled the trigger. Guess what happened�.. yep, Boom. Now I open the bolt on any firearm, visually check the chamber and physically check the chamber. If you and I hand the same firearm back and forth to each other 101 times I'm going to do that every time you hand it to me.

I figure I've used up all my luck on that one time. Ain't gonna happen again, at least not because I didn't check.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by philgood80
Following simple rules could have prevented this even if some jerk slipped a round in it.

Hows she doing btw?

220 Swift still king.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there was a crossroads show in phx over the weekend. On a local forum describes a woman vendor that had what was called a N.D. She shot her purse with a .380.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pat85
What's to stop an anti from slipping a round in a chamber at a gunshow? They need statistics to push their agenda.

When I hear about these incidents, I often wonder the same thing..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As many of you know, I used to do a lot of guns shows. I sold custom earplugs, not guns.

At a small show in Wyoming, they checked every gun at the entrance. The guard there opened the bolt on a Rem 700, looked inside, closed the bolt and okayed the customer. At least three people - vendors and other customers - looked at that rifle, each and every one of them dutifully cycling the bolt. Finally, somebody was interested enough to want to see the bore. He removed the bolt, held the gun to the light and - blackness.

One very live round of .270 Win. And no extractor.

Only dumb luck kept somebody from trying the trigger pull on that "unloaded and checked" rifle.

I also worked at a gun store. Never mind the many MANY "It ain't loaded" guns that people brought in loaded to the gills and often with the safety off. On occasion, we'd find one of our display rifles with a round in it. No way it had gone on the rack loaded, because I personally checked every one of them when I put them out. REALLY checked them. The only way a round could have gotten there was from a customer.

And one time, a guy walked in, took a .30-30 round from his pocket, racked it into a Win 94 and put the muzzle in his mouth. The boss tackled him while he was stabbing the trigger with his thumb. Only the M-94's lever lock safety kept the rifle from going off.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 07/21/14.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As many of you know, I used to do a lot of guns shows. I sold custom earplugs, not guns.

At a small show in Wyoming, they checked every gun at the entrance. The guard there opened the bolt on a Rem 700, looked inside, closed the bolt and okayed the customer. At least three people - vendors and other customers - looked at that rifle, each and every one of them dutifully cycling the bolt. Finally, somebody was interested enough to want to see the bore. He removed the bolt, held the gun to the light and - blackness.

One very live round of .270 Win. And no extractor.

Only dumb luck kept somebody from trying the trigger pull on that "unloaded and checked" rifle.

I also worked at a gun store. Never mind the many MANY "It ain't loaded" guns that people brought in loaded to the gills and often with the safety off. On occasion, we'd find one of our display rifles with a round in it. No way it had gone on the rack loaded, because I personally checked every one of them when I put them out. REALLY checked them. The only way a round could have gotten there was from a customer.

And one time, a guy walked in, took a .30-30 round from his pocket, racked it into a Win 94 and put the muzzle in his mouth. The boss tackled him while he was stabbing the trigger with his thumb. Only the M-94's lever lock safety kept the rifle from going off.

HOLY CRAP on that last one! shocked

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.