Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
hit a used book shop and found two copies of one of my favorite books....already have one copy but it seems to be in a perpetual state of being loaned out....the hardcover copy i picked up today wont leave my possession and for a couple more bucks ive got a second copy to loan out.....have yet to find anyone that i loan it to or recommend it to and they find their own copy that doesnt love it.....unfortunately so far ive struck out tracking down any of his other books while im here...

its an autobiography about a guy living during Australia's "Wild West"....droving cattle, taking care of telegraph lines via camel back, hunting water buffalo and saltwater crocs for hides...alot of the buff hunting was via horseback similar to how the plains indians used to hunt buffalo from horse back.....adrenalin pumping to say the least.....if you like reading "cowboy stuff" and want something a lil different as you can see i highly recommend

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rattler; 07/22/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'll have to find that one!

BTW, I initially thought this thread was about you hooking up with some Aussie lass. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bet he wishes!

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was afraid to open this. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So - no Sheilas yet, eh?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

BTW, I initially thought this thread was about you hooking up with some Aussie lass. laugh

Ed

Me three! Book, schmook... where are the babes! You need to be hittin some beach time, man!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like a heck of a read about an amazing guy. Now I have 4 books to add to my reading list. Thanks.

Montana MOFO
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

not likely something your gonna see here.....one im staying with a friend in the 'burbs and aint bringing a stranger into Troys house and second never been good at the casual fling

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Look for Berry Crump books while you are there. I have two thanks to some fine gentleman from Down Under. They are a great read.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
i have a third im bringing to the states for you aswell as the above to save that fine Aussie gentleman some shipping wink

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
grin

Thanks to both of you.

We made a one day round trip and got your stuff to Oregon. Quemado in a couple of weeks.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the best books I've read.
Thanks for recommending it Rattler.

Looks like you're having a good time.
Stay away from Malaysian Air on your return home.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
One of the best books I've read.
Thanks for recommending it Rattler.

Looks like you're having a good time.
Stay away from Malaysian Air on your return home.

laugh after my trip over im a fan of Singapore Air.....the new Airbus A380-800 has enough leg room even in the economy seats to keep a crippled phugger like me comfortable

wish i could find mor of Cole's stuff but other than Troy's bookshelves have struck out

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yeah, My first thought was a lass, then thought noooo, he's found some .22 ammo.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Rattler:

Look also for Cole's sequel to that book. I think it was The Last Paradise. I read his first book as we drove the Stuart Highway from Darwin to Adelaide. I too loaned it out when I returned and somehow it escaped. It is a great read, and even better as you travel through that area. It is a rough, tough, hardscrabble area.

When you are there, keep a look out for a book titled, "Flying Doctor" by Clyde Fenton. "... the story of adventures in aerial medical work in the Northern Territory of Australia during the six years preceding WW II."

Last edited by logger; 07/22/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
550 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.