Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I love to hunt elk more than anything but a new baby and family and work travel have destroyed Oct for me. The soonest I can leave home is Nov 2. I don't like getting started late on a season so OTC 3rd in CO is not my first choice. I have always done DIY but might consider an outfitter that isn't too "hands on". Bull and or cow is fine this year. I would really appreciate suggestions on states, seasons, outfitters and other options anyone here might have to offer. Thanks so much in advance!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most of the good outfitters I know are booked for this year. However, you could drive from somewhere down in TX to Colorado on the 2nd and get your camp set up. That would still give you seven days to enjoy your hunt. Better than not going. Just a thought. Good luck.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
New Mexico is your huckleberry if you're looking for a cow tag later in the season. Land owner tags can be picked up pretty easily.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
ro: that's what I'm thinking - thanks for the reply
jm: I'm certainly interested in this. Do you have suggestions as to where to start? Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
ro: that's what I'm thinking - thanks for the reply
jm: I'm certainly interested in this. Do you have suggestions as to where to start? Thanks!

Most of the outfitters that have cow tags left over advertise in the Albuquerque Journal classifieds. You will also see some bull tags advertised, as well, as the season progresses. You can subscribe to the Journal on the 'net. It costs about $2.30 or so a week for a digital subscription.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
keep your eye's peeled on the classifieds here, and check out ABQ craigslist too.

A google search and a few phone calls couldn't hurt either. Vermejo normally has late season cow tags right around $600

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Edit: this will be a price on top of the state tag prices**

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks again fellas.

Vermejo is sold out unless you want a fully guided/lodge deal fwiw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get ahold of Kiowa Outitters or Tristate Outfitters for Raton NM elk late

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3rd season is the Best season... .. .

Lifetime NRA MEMBER
Honorable - Disabled Veteran USAF SGT E5
Tradition, Preservation, People, Improvement
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the horizon
Georgia, DC, Germany, Colorado, California, Alaska, South Dakota
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4th is what I recommend to everyone

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When the filet is gone, the Sirloin aint' so bad�

God Bless America!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Blackbrush, if you're primarily looking for meat I'm sure you can still find a guided cow elk hunt available. I have hunted cow elk with J&J Outfitters in Utah, and despite very cold weather I saw plenty of elk and tagged a cow early in the trip. I think the closest cow elk hunt to Texas would probably be near Raton, NM.

Guided cow elk hunts aren't free, but I think they are well worth the cost. I think mine was about $1500, and that came with meals, lodging, and most important help to get the meat out of the mountains/off the ranch (one was kind enough to die in a gully) and in the back of your truck!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Get ahold of Kiowa Outitters or Tristate Outfitters for Raton NM elk late

I'm booked with Kiowa for Jnuary 6th. Have to double check the date but it's right around there. FWIW i\I've booked withthe in 2009 for Antelope, 2010 for elk, 2014 for elk and and as I said 2015 for elk, So far I'm batting 1,000 for the hunts so far.
The cow elk hunt is on the Vermejo Park ranch and is basically a cull hunt. You can knock off $100 if you bring a friend to hunt. AFAIK, he's had a 100 percent success rate on this hunt. It is a 640,000 acre ranch and there's lots of elk.
Dunno if he's booked out yet. I just book at the time I pay the last half of the hunt money.

PH: id 575-445-9330
WWW,kiowahunting.com.

If you call, tell Tim I sent you.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Again, I really appreciate everyone's input here. I'm following up on all of the suggestions and hope to come up with something good. If I connect, you're all invited to dinner.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
blackbrush,

Check Utah. You might be able to pick up leftover bull tags. I'm almost certain that you'll be able to pick up leftover cow tags.

Here's some friendly advice: pick a couple excellent elk states, e.g., NV, AV, & UT, and start acquiring bonus points. From my experience, especially in CO, OTC bull elk hunting is difficult due to the number of hunters.

BTW, if you can believe it, maybe try to get CA bonus points for Roosevelt elk. While I've never hunted them, I know people who've seen them. They are some of the biggest racks in the nation. But drawing a tag is about as hard as finding a conservative in Hollywood.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 56 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.