Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
There's a goal here in that if a load can be worked out adequately to achieve deer kills at 200+/- then I would prefer to do that without a lot of holdover.

a single fixed peep takes away the versatility of chunking a big piece of lead downrange.

Most, if not all of my local hunting stands provide close range FOV, but have at least one tree line that is between 160 yards to 220 yards either along a bean field or the edge of a cutover, especially my back porch which provides a 220 yard shot to the treeline across the field. So a flipping rear will let me engage targets in both "worlds" so to speak.

That sounds remarkably similar to the barrel sights on some of the older Sharps buffalo guns. They are - and are - remarkably accurate.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
IF I had to go with what you are using for a rear, I'd put the front on first then tape or glue the rear in a few differnet places and just go outside and see what my eyes, with correction that you would be using, tell me is best.

Amen !

...preach it, Bro !

GTC

Another big "amen". You can't deal with personal visual idiosyncrasies by applying a formula. You really need to get out and shoot, or at least see the sights under realistic conditions. As noted, even a temporary cobbled together setup can be useful.

A real bonus would be to find an eye professional, probably an optometrist, who understands shooting, and is willing to work with you.

Man, I wish those old Redfield Patridge blades, later made by Burris, were still available.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been searching and measuring and looking at all sorts of stuff, to-wit:
[Linked Image]

or

[Linked Image]

or one similar with a buckhorn.

which most closely resembles the sharps BG barrel sight.

I must admit, the slick top and tang of the underhammer is quite a different "visual feel".

I could mount almost anything on there, just got to find something I like.

Going to go sight in the sledgehammer....

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
IF I had to go with what you are using for a rear, I'd put the front on first then tape or glue the rear in a few differnet places and just go outside and see what my eyes, with correction that you would be using, tell me is best.

Amen !

...preach it, Bro !

GTC

Another big "amen".

Paul

which is why the sight ended up on my SxS Colt..

After taping and adjusting, and spending an hour having my wife sliding that rear sight all over the place, I took a break, slapped it in the dovetail on my colt, and angels began to sing, a light broke through the ceiling, and I heard a voice say, "IT IS GOOD"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those ladder sights are damn good, and work surprisingly well!

Had a Model 66 Winchester 24" in 44-40 that would really lay them in there at long range. 600 meter Ram silhouette was not even a challenge.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a combination "Shooting Optometry" Rifle / Fixture that I built, years ago.

Basically a good ( Winchester Marksman) target rifle stock fitted with an adjustable for length "Barrel".

The Rear sight is an enormous "Hadley" style cup (built here) that's got a LOT of aperture sizes.

The "Barrel" is removed from the stock (one big captive knob, a salvaged handstop adjustment piece)....barrel / (now in fixture mode) is muonted so's to allow optometrists big "Viewer" to apply, OR he can hold the lenses manually.

Your "Shooter's Optometrist" has blown a regular eye chart down to the proportions at which it's corect for YOUR chosen sight radius, and with you reading the chart through the largest aperture you think you'll ever use. You're not just looking at Is and Os,...your reading the ENTIRE CHART.

Once your presription is chosen, the "barrel" goes back in the stock, and you set the almost infinately adjustable rear aperture sight to conform to YOUR rifles geometry, and try the whole process from that angle.

If you're seeing and reading to everybody's satisfaction, theres one more CRITICAL step,.....With a good straight length of TIG welding wire run through your regular rifle's front and rear apertures, and the rear of that wire daubed with a little blob of paint, one assumes a good "Hold",....the optometrist plinks the rod into your regular glasses, and the mark left on the lens will be the OPTICAL CENTER of your new prescription lenses. Promotes COMFORTABLE shooting.

Sounds complicated, ....AIN'T.

Anyone wants to broach the subject of running this eye test with their Optom., the rig's available as a loaner. If the optometrist doesn't have the wherewithal and knowledge needed to blow the chart down for your sight radius, I would look for someone who CAN, and understands the principles involved.

I'll get some pictures of that goofy lookin' thing, later today, and post em' this evening.

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (09wingates, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.