24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't own a BGE, but just like a Webber, leave the lid off and let that coal burn good before you put down the lid and start smothering it.

Sean
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For outstanding pizza dough, pretty much take basic French bread dough, add a few TBSP EVOO, garlic powder, and dried Italian seasoning mix. Treat it just like French bread dough - proof it for a day, retard in the fridge over night, use the next day or within the next three days. The single best tip for great dough? Use high protein bread flour and let the dough age for a couple of days before using. This helps the protein form into strong gluten strands, resulting in the crunchy, chewy crust that is soft on the inside. And preheat that baby! I run my ovens at 550, preheat the stones in the oven for an hour. A 15" pizza only takes 7.5 minutes. To easily handle the crust, form it on one well-oiled pizza stone, press parchment paper on top, flip the whole thing over on your counter. Now you can use a pizza peel or flat cooking sheet to move the pizza around easily.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just curious Selmer, why would you ever oil a pizza stone?

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Mike. I'll try that next. I'll leave it open until it's burning really good. Appreciate all the tips.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gave the Egg another go tonight and filled it up to the top of the burn ring. Then I left the lid open until it was burning good and got up to 700 pretty quick. I didn't go any higher though because I threw a couple of steaks on. I do believe I wasn't putting enough lump in or letting it get going good. Thanks for all the advice.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BOWHUNR - Why not? smile I use Pampered Chef pizza stones - they season just like cast iron. But that's not the reason for oiling the stone in my instructions - oil the stone so the dough easily releases from the stone and transfers to the parchment paper. The same thing can be accomplished with lots of flour, but I prefer not to use excess bench flour. My pizza stones are seasoned so nicely now that they are completely non-stick and impervious to water. Dark, dark brown color - all pores filled with burned in oil. grin

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotcha, makes sense. I guess I just never heard of anyone doing it.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've only done it a few times, but it came out pretty good. This one was made with a topping of roasted red peppers and calamata olives. Sauce was homemade. Cheese was (big surprise) mozzarella.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use corn meal on my stone ....little ball bearings of life....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

Get some fire bricks inexpensive , they will work on any grill or smoker have a temp gauge take temps up to what ever you want. All it takes is paying attention to your heat. Can cook from 600 to 900 degrees on a weber Use a good Pizza Stone
and you are set. Fire bricks are used in many smokers to maintain heat

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
758 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.