Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TC1
No problem Gunner. It's been a fun ride hearing about your rifle project and seeing the results. You have a winner.

Terry

wink, preshade it neighbor.

Trump Won!
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That'll do!

About even, or north of, the factory Jeffery load, no? On a little bitty '06 hull to boot.

Just think what she'd do if you AI'd it! Laffin'! Not sure I could measure the shoulder angle anyway!

Correct MM, my 9.3-62mm firing a 320 gr Woodleigh at 2400 fps is also a hellacious amount of power from the '06 hull, this 400 Whelen firing the 400's at 2255 with a matching solid load doing the same thing would indeed take care of ANY game animal a man would ever want to hunt.

400 WHELEN A.I. .........................HMMMMMMMMMM????? laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Great looking rifle and round Gunner, how are you forming your brass, what are you starting with .35 Whelen?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike, Thanks for the compliments, I bought Quality cartridge cylindrical 400 Whelen brass, simply necked it down enough as to have a snug on bolt closing fit to keep head-space tight till the round is fired.

Thinking I'll only size 411 thou or bullet diameter of the neck on reloading the new fired cases, that will afford plenty of grip on the bullet.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
You can go ahead and name that rifle Tennessee Pride after that brand of breakfast sausage. Hog killin' mo sheen!

I'm likin' that CT. laugh

Aught to knock hair offa hog, that way we won't have to scrap it. laugh

If I use this rifle on a hog I'll be long on the hunt for a recovered bullet I'm thinking.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent Gunner I really dig that rifle!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gunner500
You can go ahead and name that rifle Tennessee Pride after that brand of breakfast sausage. Hog killin' mo sheen!

If I use this rifle on a hog I'll be long on the hunt for a recovered bullet I'm thinking.

Give your boy Bobby an E tool and let George run the metal detector. It'll save time. I'll try to remember to bring the carbide lanterns. We'll likely have to do some mining.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks ROTR, she's gonna be a keeper. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

Give your boy Bobby an E tool and let George run the metal detector. It'll save time. I'll try to remember to bring the carbide lanterns. We'll likely have to do some mining.

I will submit request to the Tennessee Department of Mines for trip mining permits. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
is the top of the action drilled also? ab if you hear back about the mounts please let me know.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have been buying different parts and modifying them to fit.
These modified steel weaver mounts get this 30mm tactical tube center 1.75" above the bore center, which is a typical low mount. The bolt handle just clears this 1.8 x 10 x 37 scope.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Could I get one of you guys that have one of these to measure the max OAL of the box?

Thinking I may want to do a low budget big bore on one. Probably a 458 Win but curious if I could do a 458 Lott without too much work or investment. Preferably using the original box.

Thoughts?

Semper Fi

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by haverluk
Could I get one of you guys that have one of these to measure the max OAL of the box?

Thinking I may want to do a low budget big bore on one. Probably a 458 Win but curious if I could do a 458 Lott without too much work or investment. Preferably using the original box.

Thoughts?

3.400"
It weighs 11 1/8 oz and is made of blue steel, where the PAWS measures 3.408" has a more square front to the ammo space, and made of Aluminum alloy, weighs 3 1/2 oz.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...98-triggerguard-floorplate-prod9718.aspx

[Linked Image]

The 458 Lott is 3.6" long and 0.522" wide.
To calculate the max length while tipping, use the Pythagorean theorem you learned in junior high school.
c = square root [a squared plus b squared]
c = square root [ 0.532"/2 squared plus 3.6" squared]= 3.610"
The front of the magazine well of the Dumoulin is 0.070" thick.
The rear of the magazine well of the Dumoulin is 0.115" thick.
Total thickness = 0.185"
Magazine length potential from milling out = 3.40" + 0.185" = 3.585" with the end milled out to zero thickness.

3.585" mag well milling potential is less than 3.610" 458 Lott needs.

The Dumoulin bottom metal cannot be milled out for the 458 Lott.
You would have to start welding.

But the upper metal is 3.54" from bolt face to feed ramp. The feed ramp would need only a small piece milled off for the 458 Lott.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anybody needs one let me know. I've got a new one with a set of SunnyHill Q/D mounts I'm going to part with soon.

I was going to use it then ran across a smooth deal on a ZG-47 and when I was squaring away the paperwork on it I was offered a G33/40 at a price I couldn't turn down. crazy I can't keep it all and the Dumoulin has to go.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A little new life to the thread. In the SARCO description of the receiver they say concerning the square bridge feature:

Flat tops are parallel and at the same level.

This being the case might the flat tops be milled to accept vertical Talley steel rings if front and rear rings are of the same height? If so should make a very clean and firm mount.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if you read ALL of my posts on this thread, but of the many ways of dealing with this, my current main fantasy and hardware for the bulk of the Dumoulin rifles I am working on is:

[Linked Image]
Buy Weaver S45 and S54 blued steel bases.[A quantity just arrived after a 2 month back order.]
Put them upside down in a mill vise clamped with a pair of modified V blocks.

[Linked Image]
Mill the concave bottom shape of the base until flat.

[Linked Image]
My Weaver two piece base installation procedure: Lightly attach the bases to the rifle with 6-48 screws trimmed to the appropriate length. Clamp both bases in an AR15 riser for colinear alignment, so there will be no ring lapping. Firmly tighten 6-48 screws.
Clamp Weaver rings to the bases. Check that a scope, with the reticle adjusted to the center of the scope tube, bore sights, or points 20 moa low as desired.

This will get the low scope height.
It does not make use of the 15mm and 17mm dovetails on the receiver.
But it will be basically the same type of scope mount system as a Win M70, Rem 700 or Sav 110.

Of a number of things I tried, this has the advantage of requiring very low skill and effort of mill operation.
It turns out that drilling at an exact x-y spot and then countersinking to an exact z depth is a lot of work, and prone to error.
The S45 and S54 bases already have the screw holes lined up for the Dumoulin and the countersinks are at the right depth. So I make these S45 & S54 base modifications while wearing my dumb monkey hat.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, I read thru most of your posts. I have no doubt your solution will work, but for me it seems the modification of Weaver bases to fit the square bridges is putting bases on top of bases. Obviously the manufacturer intended rings to be attached directly to the square bridges as one option. Unfortunately rings to fit the square bridge seem to be limited in type and availability. It's starting to look like the cleanest possibilities are to either machine the bridges to accept readily available rings or machine away the bridges to match the scope mounting surfaces of commercial 98 style actions. It's not easy being a Looney.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not just use the SunnyHill mounts? I think they look pretty nice. They are well built too.

[Linked Image]

Duane Weibe did one of these some time back and milled the action for Talley's. To me it didn't look right. .the narrow dovetail just didn't look right to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Your barrel and entire rifle is exquisite. cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had one of the Dumoulin triggers fail on me today, so I had to figure out how it works.

My trigger spring got stuck in the trigger spring adjustment screw female threads... probably from my sawdust and screwing it in too far when playing with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Will these actions take an Alaskan Arms M70-type trigger made for a Mauser action?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Dumoulin is a standard 3mm 98 Mauser trigger mount, like all the ones built over the last 117 years.

I just put a $38 Bold [Boyds] PR-98 Premium Trigger trigger on and it works fine. That has no safety, but the Dumoulin bolt has a Win M70 type three position safety, so I don't need or want one on the trigger. I adjusted it down to 2 pounds.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
219 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.