I keep seeing pictures like this:

[Linked Image]

and this:

[Linked Image]

and this:

[Linked Image]

and this:

[Linked Image]

And I just can't help thinking to myself, "Gee, if this jerkoffs drive around in long convoys, wearing black from head to toe, with big damned black flags on their trucks, then why the hell don't we send out some of these?"

[Linked Image]

to do this:

[Linked Image]

until their trucks look like this?

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/Unknown-6_zpse051ccf1.jpeg[/img]

Maybe I'm the only one.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Chances are we don't have a single warthog in theater. According to media reports all the recent strike were by FA-18's....i.e. carrier based aircraft.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Chances are we don't have a single warthog in theater. According to media reports all the recent strike were by FA-18's....i.e. carrier based aircraft.

I'm guessing they don't have the range. Gotta have an airfield and a FOB. We have Barry to thank for whatever happens. I hope Valerie Jarret gets pancreatic cancer and dies in mid-scream.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hope Valerie Jarret gets pancreatic cancer and dies in mid-scream.

We won't ever get sharia law if you keep talking like that grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are moth balling them. I'm sure they are all on an isolated flight line waiting to get the guts pulled out so they can scrap them. Retards running the show in DC and the Pentagon. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think the Ukraine might be a good fit as well.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
They are moth balling them. I'm sure they are all on an isolated flight line waiting to get the guts pulled out so they can scrap them. Retards running the show in DC and the Pentagon. kwg

I know for a fact some are flying in Korea.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those pictures of long Isis caravans are weeks, if not months old, since the threat of air strikes they have dispersed vehicles and personnel among civilians. Now the air strikes are reality they are further imbedded. (They're ruthless but not completely stupid.)
Obama had his chance to catch them out in the open like that but oh well you know how that went.

The A 10's were slated to be in service through 2028, but are now being fazed out in favor of fast pointy-nosed fighters less capable (explained below) good read but will most likely pizz you off.

'The Air Force's Rationale For Retiring The A-10 Warthog Is Bullshit'

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-usafs-rationale-for-retiring-the-a-10-warthog-is-bu-1562789528

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are 13 to 15 of them on the flight line about 2 miles from where I type this. I never counted them all but there are usually about 13 lined up on the ramp on any particular day. It's a rare Saturday when you don't see a pair of them flying around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There are 13 to 15 of them on the flight line about 2 miles from where I type this. I never counted them all but there are usually about 13 lined up on the ramp on any particular day. It's a rare Saturday when you don't see a pair of them flying around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Same here in Northern Michigan. The National Guard has been doing joint maneuvers out on the ranges most of the summer.
A-10's are a daily sighting.
Helicopters 20 hours a day. Last month they dropped an M-777 howitzer from a Chinook from 750 ft. It planted like a lawn dart. $1.5 mil stuck in the ground.
The investigation team from Fort Rucker has been on site since then.
Speculation is the sling release let go, but I'm sure we won't hear the final report.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 08/21/14.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The hand writing on the wall is in place by the DOD and AF but what we don't know are how many maintenance hours are required to generate one flying hour since they've had the dog crap flown out of them.I certainly don't think the AF has reached this way point just yet but I'm sure the DOD bean counters have.There's not much hope for worn out air frames in the overall scheme of things and retooling this magnificent CAS asset is a pipe dream...

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a friend who is an A-10 pilot and is currently deployed to Afganistan. The way he tells it, they are going to be de-commisioned for another plane although the A-10 is FAR superior for the job it was designed to do according to him. He should know, he fly's one.

According to him, the Army and Marines have approached the Air Force and have offered to pay the Air Force to keep the A-10 in service because it is so good at supporting ground troops. He says that politics have gotten in the way and some brass has declined in favor of the new aircraft (baby) they are wanting to bring out.

FSTF
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Money has greased palms and post-retirement jobs have been secured at the Pentagon, and large contributions to the proper bank accounts for Congressional scum are on deposit so the decision to go forward with the obscenely expensive and less effective solution is set in stone.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A squadron doing maneuvers out of Eilson AFB {Fairbanks] during Red Flag exercise.....their low level flights scaring hell out of the 40 Mile Caribou Herd......I hope they get done soon as I want to go hunting and Supercub pilots share the same airspace.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dhershberger
I have a friend who is an A-10 pilot and is currently deployed to Afganistan. The way he tells it, they are going to be de-commisioned for another plane although the A-10 is FAR superior for the job it was designed to do according to him. He should know, he fly's one.

According to him, the Army and Marines have approached the Air Force and have offered to pay the Air Force to keep the A-10 in service because it is so good at supporting ground troops. He says that politics have gotten in the way and some brass has declined in favor of the new aircraft (baby) they are wanting to bring out.

I'm not aware of a "new aircraft baby" other than the F-35 and all service variants.From conception it's been a burr under my butt with a tremendous price tag especially for CAS missions.Committing this huge price tag for down in the dirt close air support is ignorant as it has zero redundancy vs the A-10.

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A-10's really should be an Army plane as CAS is best understood by the army. Trouble is the Air Force insisted they get land based fixed wing aircraft and army gets rotary winged aircraft.

Sad when politics gets in the way of good military decisions, but that's been going on since the first clan waged war on their neighbors.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
....."There's not much hope for worn out air frames in the overall scheme of things and retooling this magnificent CAS asset is a pipe dream..."

I understand what you're saying but there's the matter of the BUFF.....there are B52's in the air being flown by the grandsons of the early pilots.
A-10's are one of the best airframes ever produced. Sell the bird to the Marines.....hang a tailhook on it.....watch grunt pilots fight to sit in that bathtub.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
A-10's really should be an Army plane as CAS is best understood by the army. Trouble is the Air Force insisted they get land based fixed wing aircraft and army gets rotary winged aircraft.

Sad when politics gets in the way of good military decisions, but that's been going on since the first clan waged war on their neighbors.

The very first A-10's to visit here were OD with US ARMY on the tail feathers.From the logistical standpoint the Army would have had to use an AF installation for combat readiness anyway so I'm guessing this was a major contributing factor.Fixed wing and rotary CAS have always been apples and oranges equally shared.

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
....."There's not much hope for worn out air frames in the overall scheme of things and retooling this magnificent CAS asset is a pipe dream..."

I understand what you're saying but there's the matter of the BUFF.....there are B52's in the air being flown by the grandsons of the early pilots.
A-10's are one of the best airframes ever produced. Sell the bird to the Marines.....hang a tailhook on it.....watch grunt pilots fight to sit in that bathtub.

The Buff argument definitely holds water with all the depot upgrades in avionics,air frame and weapon systems which have kept it alive and well with its strength as a very capable standoff platform.Doubtful we'll see it raining down iron bombs in the future as it's fodder for most new surface to air missile technology.

On the other hand I remember all to well the maintenance nightmares of the M-61 in our F-4's shaking the beegeebers outta everything forward,always needing the mounts reinforced and continually being bore sighted.One can only imagine the wear and tear from the GAU-8 while simultaneously pulling extreme G's.The A10's saving grace would be it's the first aircraft designed around a gun vs the other way.

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 08/21/14.

Woody

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1234, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,274
Posts18,448,369
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.