Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Without handeling it I'm going with it being a turned down standard weight barrel. The stock is definatly after market, but it sounds like whomever did the work used the Winchester Neider butt plate on it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In any case, you got a great deal on a great rifle.

Who is John Galt?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ismith
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I appears to be a standard weight barrel that has been shortened and the rear sight boss turned off. Definitely not a featherweight barrel. I have seen this kind of barrel work done several times over the years. I myself had the rear sight boss turned off and front sight removed on a 264 barrel.

Perhaps, but if that's the case whoever did the work was a master at his craft. His wood work was a little rougher though judging from the inletting, although not altogether bad.
I had the privilege to hang out with some of the great gunsmiths over the years and yes there is some amazing talent out there. Winchester would do anything for a buck prior to the 1930's but afterwards they curtailed much of their custom work. Either way you have an interesting rifle that draws much attention.

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ismith
I appears to be a standard weight barrel that has been shortened and the rear sight boss turned off. Definitely not a featherweight barrel. I have seen this kind of barrel work done several times over the years. I myself had the rear sight boss turned off and front sight removed on a 264 barrel.

Perhaps, but if that's the case whoever did the work was a master at his craft. His wood work was a little rougher though judging from the inletting, although not altogether bad.
I had the privilege to hang out with some of the great gunsmiths over the years and yes there is some amazing talent out there. Winchester would do anything for a buck prior to the 1930's but afterwards they curtailed much of their custom work. Either way you have an interesting rifle that draws much attention.

Looking closer at it makes me think it was turned down, shortened and reblued. She is a fine handling rifle though, and still one of my favorites!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (Algotguns, Akhutr, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 10 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.